Reload this Page >

Usa Driving Licence

Usa Driving Licence

Old Nov 20th 2002, 4:54 pm
The Dogs bollox

southcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Marky B
Pulaski

You were right about Boise. I've spoken to a broker that a realtor I'm talking to recommended. They quoted approximately $800 a year for a Ford Explorer and about $620 a year for a Ford Focus. These are obviously guesstimates but are nonetheless a bit easier on the pocket than the figures that have been talked about above.
Did your Broker explain everything? probably not, your right its just a
guesstimate. I have had a state driving license under 3 years so, the insurance went up, I had a speeding ticket, so my insurance went up,
I had no prior insurance history, guess what? it took my quote through the roof, so good luck on $800 a year for a ford explorer, although I suspect your broker is telling you porkies!!!

Good luck
Old Nov 20th 2002, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Marky B will become famous soon enoughMarky B will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure why they would mislead me. They have stressed it is a guesstimate and they know my circumstances ie. that I will be starting my driving record from scratch. They also know I'll need a broker when we get there, so it's not in their interests to give me false information.

Don't forget, we are talking Boise here. Low crime, and the roads are not as busy as in some big cities. I'll admit it is a lot lower than I expected, but even it is a bit out. Here's the quote I had anyway,

BI/PD (Bodily Injury/Property Damage) 50/100/50, 5,000 medical coverage, 500 comp and collision deds, 50/100 uninsured and underinsured limits, $376.44/6 mos. or 100/300/100 BI/PD, 5,000 medical coverage, 500 comp and collision deds, 100/200 uninsured and underinsured limits is $402.88/6 mos. Of course there would be discounts for more than one auto in the household and a discount if you were to insure a home through State Farm.

However, I'll make sure I'm wary and triple check everything. And if anyone can explain what all the techno jargon in the quote means I'd be grateful!

Thanks.

Last edited by Marky B; Nov 20th 2002 at 5:10 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2002, 5:30 pm
The Dogs bollox

Originally posted by Marky B
I'm not sure why they would mislead me. They have stressed it is a guesstimate and they know my circumstances ie. that I will be starting my driving record from scratch. They also know I'll need a broker when we get there, so it's not in their interests to give me false information.

Don't forget, we are talking Boise here. Low crime, and the roads are not as busy as in some big cities. I'll admit it is a lot lower than I expected, but even it is a bit out. Here's the quote I had anyway,

BI/PD (Bodily Injury/Property Damage) 50/100/50, 5,000 medical coverage, 500 comp and collision deds, 50/100 uninsured and underinsured limits, $376.44/6 mos. or 100/300/100 BI/PD, 5,000 medical coverage, 500 comp and collision deds, 100/200 uninsured and underinsured limits is $402.88/6 mos. Of course there would be discounts for more than one auto in the household and a discount if you were to insure a home through State Farm.

However, I'll make sure I'm wary and triple check everything. And if anyone can explain what all the techno jargon in the quote means I'd be grateful!

Thanks.
Firstly I am talking from personal experience, and of course everyone has a different tale to tell. I found though the quote they gave me over a phone, can change when your sat down in a broker office, thats when things start adding up.

I do not know your background are you moving to the states from the U.K?, if so if you want to buy a explorer you will need to put a huge chunk of cash down if not buy it out-right $26,000 to $30,000. Dealerships will not work with you without some sort of credit, and believe me building credit here in the states is the biggest pain in the arse, just ask every Brit on this forum. Its very painfull moving here have all the U.K mastercards under the sun, only to be told "sorry you can't get a $200 T.V on credit, because "YOU DON"T HAVE ANY U.S CREDIT HISTORY", I have heard this sooo many times, its enough to make a grown man cry.

Maybe someone here in the Forum can help you out with the Ins Jargon,
because I have trouble understanding my own.
Old Nov 20th 2002, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a new Ford Escape and our insurance for 6 months was just over $600. However, we have had California DL for 4 years and 3 years previous motor vehicle coverage in California. That quote does seem a bit cheap.
Old Nov 20th 2002, 8:34 pm
The Dogs bollox

Originally posted by Vicky88
We bought a new Ford Escape and our insurance for 6 months was just over $600. However, we have had California DL for 4 years and 3 years previous motor vehicle coverage in California. That quote does seem a bit cheap.
Thats why I question the quote ($800.00 for a year) seems so low, Most insurance company's give you a quote for 6 months, plus you have to put $X amount of dollars down. If you had a divers license for 4 years, then yes I understand what you pay for your insurance, but there is a BIG difference if your license is less than 3 years. Not only did I have to pay $250 for a speeding fine (didn't mean to do it......Honest Guv). Now I have to pay big time with my car insurance.

Its amazing everyone drives around in 5.8 litre V8's, but can't do more than 60 mph....Doesn't make sense to me!
Old Nov 20th 2002, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I agree that if you get done in the US you are screwed insurance wise. I did get a ticket once for going straight in a turn left only lane, I was going to challenge it because the overhead signs conflicted with the arrows on the road. I think the fine was about $134 but I also did traffic school which allows the ticket to be kept off your driving records for insurance purposes. I did traffic school that I could do at home. Did you not get that option?
Old Nov 20th 2002, 9:02 pm
The Dogs bollox

Wow I agree that if you get done in the US you are screwed insurance wise. I did get a ticket once for going straight in a turn left only lane, I was going to challenge it because the overhead signs conflicted with the arrows on the road. I think the fine was about $134 but I also did traffic school which allows the ticket to be kept off your driving records for insurance purposes. I did traffic school that I could do at home. Did you not get that option?

I found out after I paid the ticket, that infact I could of done the school thing (at the time it meant all day on a saturday at traffic school). Since then I have learnt that you can now do the driving course on-line and get a certificate through the post, how long did it take you to do vicky?
Old Nov 20th 2002, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I can't remember exactly but it did take longer than I expected. I think I completed it all within a week or so. I was sent a booklet to study then had to do a test at the end which I submitted for marking. That said you would have to be a village idiot to fail which is why the whole concept of traffic school does my head in. But that said I would do it again rather than get it on my record.
Old Nov 25th 2002, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Cathy is an unknown quantity at this point

After reading all of this I am going down to the Driving license place in Florida where I am currently living to find out if I need a USA license to drive now I have been here nearly 90days

I drive on my husbands insurance and have a car that is in his name, althought I want to get insurance next year so that I can get the full benefits of the insurance. Under his policy he can give anyone the permission to drive one of his cars and they are insured, however they get limited cover with lower amounts for each thing the insurance covers.

Will update on my findings tomorrow

Cathy
Uk driving license
Old Nov 25th 2002, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Cathy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Usa Driving Licence

Originally posted by inveresk
Can anyone help with advice about getting a US driving licence? I'm shortly to relocate to Ky and have held a UK driving licence for 30+ years. What's the procedure for obtaining a US driving license and would I be best to do this before I take out car insurance? My date for relocation is early December.
After reading all of this I am going down to the Driving license place in Florida where I am currently living to find out if I need a USA license to drive now I have been here nearly 90days

I drive on my husbands insurance and have a car that is in his name, althought I want to get insurance next year so that I can get the full benefits of the insurance. Under his policy he can give anyone the permission to drive one of his cars and they are insured, however they get limited cover with lower amounts for each thing the insurance covers.

Will update on my findings tomorrow

Cathy
Uk driving license
Old Nov 26th 2002, 2:37 am
Just Joined

idiotnonsavant is an unknown quantity at this point

I got credit for buying my crappy Ford from a Credit Union associated with the company, many companies have this sort of arrangement.

I solved my first plastic problem by transferring my AMEX card, I called to ask if it was possible and the guy said "I'll just get the form". Td still says "member since 1991".

I got a credit card by having used an American company in the UK, so having had a UK MBNA card helped me get an American one here. The first person I talked to at MBNA said it didn't mean anything, the second one was more agreeable. I wonder if the first one was just because she was on commission and I was too much trouble.

One piece of advice I got from a co-worker, if you don't like the answer just say goodbye and call back, the next person may well give the answer you want. A lot of US companies are not very professional.
Old Nov 26th 2002, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

One way of getting around the credit card problem is to get a secured credit card to start with. Even if it is only for a $500, once you have a credit rating it gets easier.
Old Nov 26th 2002, 5:19 pm
The Dogs bollox

One way of getting around the credit card problem is to get a secured credit card to start with. Even if it is only for a $500, once you have a credit rating it gets easier.
Yes, I have already done that, but I believe it takes a year of not missing a payment, then I think they will up the credit limit to a sensible amount. (4 months to go).

I have tried the ford thing, they wanted a $1000 down and $300 a month with 18% interest....WAY to much for my liking....(and thats for a pokey ford focus).

At the moment I am trying to get into a credit union, they have bank repoed cars at very good prices.
I tried to get a car loan through my bank (Bank One), I have been with
them 2 years, but again, the usual spill "you have no credit history"
"well HELLO" give me a bank loan, then I can start a CREDIT HISTORY.

My wife (USC) was giving credit cards at school, but does that make sense, giving unlimited credit cards to college kids???? do they rely on parents to pay the monthly payment???.
The Dogs bollox

Yes, I have already done that, but I believe it takes a year of not missing a payment, then I think they will up the credit limit to a sensible amount. (4 months to go).

I have tried the ford thing, they wanted a $1000 down and $300 a month with 18% interest....WAY to much for my liking....(and thats for a pokey ford focus).

At the moment I am trying to get into a credit union, they have bank repoed cars at very good prices.

My wife (USC) was giving credit cards at school, but does that make sense, giving unlimited credit cards to college kids???? do they rely on parents to pay the monthly payment???.
The Dogs bollox

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.