Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA coast like the Mediterranean?

USA coast like the Mediterranean?

Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA coast like the Mediterranean?

To me, the quintessential "Mediterranean" is somewhere like Positano, or Cinque Terra - old towns clinging to hillsides with spectacular views.

Of course, I guess one could also consider places like Monte Carlo, or those crowded and unattractive beaches they have in abundance ...

But for me - Positano takes the prize!
Attached Thumbnails USA coast like the Mediterranean?-positano_1_view1.jpg  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

chrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nicechrisandjulie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

As for feeling and character -- for one thing, the US is simply relatively too new. What is considered "old" in the US would be considered "new" in Europe.

Capitola???
Weird....having been hopping back and forth between the countries I would say that whats considered "old" in europe, probably more the UK is new in the US.....
Old Mar 11th 2009, 11:09 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
To me, the quintessential "Mediterranean" is somewhere like Positano, or Cinque Terra - old towns clinging to hillsides with spectacular views.

Of course, I guess one could also consider places like Monte Carlo, or those crowded and unattractive beaches they have in abundance ...

But for me - Positano takes the prize!
Jesus - imagine popping out for the paper in the morning. That'd be me finished for the day!
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

gmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nice

Originally Posted by siam
Is there anywhere on the coast of the USA (preferrably a warm location) that is similar in character to places on the Mediterranean or "European" in character? I like places with character that are not too modern. The sort of place that springs to mind is possibly Charleston, South Carolina but I have never been there so it is just an impression.
Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.
I would say Southern california is what comes closest in mind but you have to be more specific. Climate is not too difficult. Cultural/Charm can be more challenging. What part of mediterranean do you mean? Eastern European Mediterranean or Greece, Italian Mediterranean (Southern Italy is different from Northern), Spain, North African (Morocco, Libya), Middle Eastern (Egypt, Lebanon, Syria), Turkey, Cyprus?

At any rate all those countries share similarities but have differences as well. As I write more about it Southern California comes more to mind (Santa Monica would be a great city with a european feel). Mind the culture and history (they can't bring roman statues or egyptian pyramids) but comes close.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Manx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to allManx is a name known to all

The Santa Barbara Chamber of Commerce promotes the city as the "American Riviera".

It has the only south-facing mountain range along the West coast -I don't know about the East coast. Physically the city scape resembles some parts of Spain - white buildings with red tiled roofs. That's because after the 1925 earthquake demolished most of the city the design and building codes were changed - it became a requirement to build in this style.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gmang79
Santa Monica
Hi:

Lovely place. BTW, I was born there.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

gmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nicegmang79 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Lovely place. BTW, I was born there.
Fantastic place indeed. Do you still live around there?
Old Mar 14th 2009, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gmang79
Fantastic place indeed. Do you still live around there?
Hi:

No. Although I was born there, I have NEVER lived there. Lived for a short time in the South Bay though.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

mistral is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget about Mediterranean influences. In the summer the Maine coast cannot be beat (Arcadia especially), Mystic, Connecticut...Newport, Rhode Island also beautiful. On the West Coast Big Sur/Monterey is spectacular. I would avoid the South like the plague (especially but not limited to Florida, the Carolinas (except Charleston which is charming), and Southern California except for the one spot in the entire country that resembles a nice Med town, and has decent year-round weather....Santa Barbara and I would have moved there long ago if my entire extended family would pack and hillbilly it from East to West. No chance
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Pablo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Siam

try St Augustine (Florida Atlantic coast) very French, Spanish and British (it changed hands a few times and is the earliest european settlement in what we now know as the US). It's Colonial very historical and picturesqe (university town). google it.

Pablo1
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just move to the med then?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pablo1
Siam

try St Augustine (Florida Atlantic coast) very French, Spanish and British (it changed hands a few times and is the earliest european settlement in what we now know as the US). It's Colonial very historical and picturesqe (university town). google it.

Pablo1
I was there for July 4th. Very nice town, plenty of old architecture to look at (well not that much, there used to be, but the British burnt it all down for a change). Then for the next 3 nights, Savannah, I love the place. been going every year for a short break, plenty of character, and the old mansions are very interesting. Certainly wouldn't say it was like the Med though, although Torremolinos, and Benidorm are along the Med!!!