Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA/Canadian border crossing

USA/Canadian border crossing

Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough
Default USA/Canadian border crossing

I have posted this question on a canadian forum:
What happens at any canadian/usa border crossing ( air or land )if you want to visit friends who live in Canada?I once lived there as a permanent resident and stuff like for example travel document is in my passport.
I should have posted it here to begin with. I am sorry.
Does anyone now?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 7:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA/Canadian border crossing

Originally Posted by Fairy Tales
What happens at any canadian/usa border crossing ( air or land )if you want to visit friends who live in Canada?I once lived there as a permanent resident and stuff like for example travel document is in my passport.
Does anyone now?
Well your Canadian thread didn't shed any light on it--I don't understand your question exactly.

When I visit friends who live in Canada, I go to Canada. The entry to Canada from the US is like entry to most countries.

You are a.... UK citizen?
You want to... visit.. Canada?
You'll cross at a...land? border? From...?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone now?

You are no longer a Canadian Permanent Resident I take it. You just give them your UK passport and if they want, they will question you about where you are going, why and for how long and wish you a nice visit.

Are you now living in the US and if so, in what capacity.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough

I am sorry for not being more clear. I am a UK resident living in US on E2 at the moment. I once lived in Canada as PR but left before they introduced PR cards.
I am not sure if I will fly or drive. I was just interested what canadian authorities might want to see/know/ask of me. Will have return tickets to the US.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

And one more question. On the way back after a one week visit do I have to apply for something ( some form, I think the one they used to give to you on the plane ) on line?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry for not being more clear. I am a UK resident living in US on E2 at the moment. I once lived in Canada as PR but left before they introduced PR cards.
I am not sure if I will fly or drive. I was just interested what canadian authorities might want to see/know/ask of me. Will have return tickets to the US.
And one more question. On the way back after a one week visit do I have to apply for something ( some form, I think the one they used to give to you on the plane ) on line?
OK, so you are a US resident. You have an I-94 card in your passport with a date written in; that is the period of time you were admitted for at your last entry.
Your status allows you to travel in/out of the US for the validity of your visa (look for the expiration date). If you'll be returning to the US inside of that time, you'll need a new I-94---that is, IF they take your old one away when you cross into Canada. It's really mox nix whichever they do and each land border might do it differently.

The main thing to make CERTAIN is that you have a valid I-94 when you return to the US--that is what shows that you're legally present (not the visa itself).

As to what the Canadians will want off of you, I can't say 100% (but you could go clarify your Canada post and maybe someone there will know) but I imagine that evidence of your residence in the US (driver's license + visa) will allow you to be admitted there.

You may need to come inside the booth when you return to the US.. do NOT forget that I-94 card!