Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA born dual citizen in UK - how can I find a lost social security number?

USA born dual citizen in UK - how can I find a lost social security number?

Old May 16th 2019, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

AliciaRE13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA born dual citizen in UK - how can I find a lost social security number?

Hi,

I was born in the USA but have lived in the UK since age 4. My parents probably did register me for a social security number after birth but if they did, both the card or any record of the number are many years lost.

How could I go about searching for my SSN if one does exist for me?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old May 16th 2019, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA born dual citizen in UK - how can I find a lost social security number?

Alicia - it is the same number you have used every year to file your US tax returns & FBARs. The US Embassy in London will be able to assist.
Old May 16th 2019, 4:22 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA born dual citizen in UK - how can I find a lost social security number?

I used to have one, but I cannot find it and don’t remember the number.

Check first via the Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) serving your region. These can be found listed here: www.ssa.gov/foreign/foreign.htm

The FBU may perhaps confirm if a SSN has been issued to you; however they are not permitted to transmit this number to you, either over the phone or by letter. The procedure in this case is to apply for a replacement card by postal mail using the approprite form. You can leave the space asking for the SSN blank.

I don’t know if I ever had a Social Security Number. How do I find out?

Check via the Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) serving your area (See:www.ssa.gov/foreign/foreign.htm). With the data you provide them, they can inform you if a number has ever been issued to you.

The contact data FBU for the UK is

United Kingdom
Federal Benefits Unit
United States Embassy
33 Nine Elms Lane
London
SW11 7US
Phone: 44-207-499-9000 (10:00 - 1:00)
Fax: 44-207-891-3631 Email:[email protected]
Old May 16th 2019, 4:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Alicia - it is the same number you have used every year to file your US tax returns & FBARs.
Old May 16th 2019, 5:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliciaRE13
Hi,

I was born in the USA but have lived in the UK since age 4. My parents probably did register me for a social security number after birth but if they did, both the card or any record of the number are many years lost.

How could I go about searching for my SSN if one does exist for me?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Prior to, IIRC, the early-mid 1970's SSNs were usually issued when you were around age 16, i.e. around the time you were eligible to enter the workforce. After that and up to around 1990-ish SSNs were issued around age 4-5 i.e. around the time you started school. Since then SSNs have been issued shortly after birth.

So, if you are older than about 30 you are unlikely to have an SSN, and if you are older than around 45-47 you are very unlikely to have an SSN.

So, to answer your question, the easiest way to solve your problem is to apply for a new SSN irrespective of whether you had one or not, and if one already exists for you, you will be advised of that fact (it is for all practical purposes impossible to be issued a second SSN, with being taken into the federal witness protection program being about the only circumstance that creates an exception to that rule), and you can request a new SS card.