USA blues

Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Valhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default USA blues

Hi all,
I am a "trailing wife" delightful term! arrived in Cary NC nearly 6 weeks ago, first thing we did was drag ourselves to urgent care with raging strep throat as they call it here. Things are hard, my daughter isn't finding making friends at school very easy and is for the most part ignored. And me? Well I have not spoken to another human (other than family) in conversation for fun in ohhhhh 3 weeks.

Just getting a car and driving licence and social security sorted has been like a climb up Everest. We will get there I know. I am feeling blue after being fairly social in the UK with a voluntary job in the Mental Health sector to being fairly housebound. Nobody walks here? Everything is done in the car and so there seems no opportunity to meet people. And why oh why do they shut the schools when it's a bit cold? Haha. I have given up with the bread here and make my own, I know what is it in and it tastes great.

Anybody else in the Cary and surrounding areas?
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA blues

Hi again.

I'm not in your area but it can all be a huge shock, especially the car culture.

How old is your daughter?
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Valhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond reputeValhalla has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is 13, I have another daughter in the UK still doing her exams and I really hope she will join us for Uni here.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Valhalla
My daughter is 13, I have another daughter in the UK still doing her exams and I really hope she will join us for Uni here.
Hard age to move - they seem to have these very defined cliques in school. Is she sporty? That seems to help (my son wasn't, but eventually found his way).
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

It can be tough. Hang in there.

It looks like your daughter is the new kid in school part way through the school year so she's trying to break into an already established situation. That's more difficult than starting school at the beginning of the school year.

School closures are more often about snow and ice rather than just cold temperatures (unless the school heating is also out). Sometimes the schools will delay opening to alleviate rush hour traffic in bad weather. Other times they will close completely e.g. if road conditions are too hazardous or they haven't had time to clear snow from the parking lots.

As for walking, it depends on where you are. In high density areas (e.g. inner cities) where there are a lot of amenities/attractions, you'll see plenty of people walking. If you're part of the typical American urban sprawl, you'll see fewer people walking and more people in their cars e.g. as they travel from mall to mall.

You'll have to face the fact that you're going to have to make an effort to get out and meet people. You could get involved with the school Parent Teacher Association (PTA). You could sign up for something like classes, activities, etc somewhere. Getting your daughter involved in some extracurricular activity (e.g. a sport) is another way to meet other parents and an opportunity for your daughter to make friends.

Good luck!
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

If she doesn't meet the requirements for "in state" tuition, university in the US can be very expensive.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
If she doesn't meet the requirements for "in state" tuition, university in the US can be very expensive.
and has she applied for US colleges?
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Missus H makes bread fresh every week. The no knead method.

We haven't bought a loaf in 6 years.

Sorry about your blues. I know when I came I intended it to be a quick six months for some job experience but that was 15 years ago and counting.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

No she's going her GCSE's at the moment, she lives with her Dad in the UK. Who knows what the future holds for her as she will probably not want to leave her UK friends and whatever boyfriend is in flavour at the time .

My youngest rides horses a lot and competes so we have already got her set up with a stables in Raleigh where she is joining a competing team. Some other sports are problematic due to physical limitations we both have with a genetic disorder.

I think going from a small private UK school into a large public school was a shock too. I do hope the kids there start accepting her.

Last edited by Valhalla; Mar 20th 2014 at 8:26 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Yep breadmaker with timer equals nummy bread every morning
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No she's going her GCSE's at the moment, she lives with her Dad in the UK. Who knows what the future holds for her as she will probably not want to leave her UK friends and whatever boyfriend is in flavour at the time .

My youngest rides horses a lot and competes so we have already got her set up with a stables in Raleigh where she is joining a competing team. Some other sports are problematic due to physical limitations we both have with a genetic disorder.

I think going from a small private UK school into a large public school was a shock too. I do hope the kids their start accepting her.
The riding will be a good start. Give it time
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

I'm confused also as I have an L2 visa and social security number. The SS office said I could work but our lawyers say no need a work visa.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Anybody else in the Cary and surrounding areas?
I was in Cary yesterday, visited the Barnes & Noble with little Miss P. Cary seems like a nice area.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm confused also as I have an L2 visa and social security number. The SS office said I could work but our lawyers say no need a work visa.
I think you just need authorization.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 8:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You need an EAD. (Employment Authorization Document).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.