USA blues

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA blues

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think most US cats are indoor cats. I the 18 years I lived in the US I don't think I have every seen a cat wandering around. Not seen any dead ones by the side of the road either...so it's a good thing.
I do feel sorry for the declawed indoor cats though.
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Top tip. When our fellow-expats are homesick, we try to cheer them up. We don't tell them they are living in the worst possible part of the country when they have option to move. I understand your national pride is at stake, but that isn't relevant to the homesick ex pat. They need to feel better where they are.
OP wasn't even complaining about 'liberalism'.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellegiselle
I have lived in that area. I just want to state for the record: you are in one of the most ass backwards, hillbilly, redneck areas in the US. ....
You think Cary is an "ass backwards, hillbilly, redneck area"?

Personally I wouldn't want to live in Cary, but hillbilly and redneck it is most certainly NOT.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 23rd 2014 at 7:59 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think most US cats are indoor cats. I the 18 years I lived in the US I don't think I have every seen a cat wandering around. Not seen any dead ones by the side of the road either...so it's a good thing.
It depends on where you live. There are lots of outdoor cats in my neighborhood. Our county has an animal restraint ordinance that states that domestic pets (including cats) are not allowed to roam free off the owner's property. I've seen that enforced for dogs but never for cats. So I guess the level of enforcement of any such ordinances is also a factor in whether you'll see cats wandering around.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Valhalla
Ah cool thanks, does anybody take notice of the cats on leashes rule? As getting my 11 and 18 year old cats to accept leashes at their age is not going to happen. I was stunned when I read that I cannot let them off my property unleashed, has anyone ever tried to control a cat before, it's not easy haha.
I'm not sure what the vermin is like in NC but in Calgary that rule exists to keep predators away, your cats will get eaten (or freeze to death, then get eaten) if they're not leashed and then the predators start hanging around. I know one of my relatives neighbours had her cats eaten.

The usual trick is to tether them to a pole and eventually they get the idea they shouldn't leave the property.

As for your daughter, volunteer work that would ordinarily not be paid is permitted. Which sounds like the case based on what you've said.
Attached Thumbnails USA blues-aut_2492-copy.jpg  
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on where you're at and on state laws, a homeowner can technically kill any animal found on it's property. I've never heard of a 'right to roam' for cats. So unfortunately if an outdoor cat strays on to the wrong property, they may not come back home.

Personally, unless you are truly rural, I would never consider having outdoor cats. Too many cars to run them over, and too many asshats that would shoot them with bb guns (or worse). But being rural has its dangers too, with coyotes and other potential predators. By the way, OP, I am an American saying this, not an expat. There are many folks who really don't like cats (or any animals).

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Mar 24th 2014 at 7:20 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ellegiselle
If you want to keep your sanity, look to Washington DC, Florida or eastern Ohio for distractions-those locations are far more liberal. If you plan on staying in the states you may want to talk to your hubby about locations like New York, Massachusetts, Oregon or Washington. You will find bigger European settlements and more progressive thinking. In short you may be happier in another location-don't give up on the US
You're referring to Cary ? As in Containment Area for Relocated Yankees ? Having spent a reasonable amount of time around there recently, I wouldn't say the Triangle (of which Cary is a part) is at all backwards....Chapel Hill and Carrboro are as progressive politically as it gets in the US, Cary is very safe and suburban, the RTP is full of tech companies, Durham is a reviving urban center and Raleigh has a whole lot of cultural stuff.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It depends on where you live. There are lots of outdoor cats in my neighborhood. Our county has an animal restraint ordinance that states that domestic pets (including cats) are not allowed to roam free off the owner's property. I've seen that enforced for dogs but never for cats. So I guess the level of enforcement of any such ordinances is also a factor in whether you'll see cats wandering around.
Oh aye, plenty of outdoor cats running around our neighbourhood too. They don't seem to bother anyone, I've seen a good four or five different ones as well, just on our street.

There is one comes into our back yard quite a bit that annoys the arse off my cat, who has never shown even the slightest bit of a desire to go outside, after that one time she got out for a few hours right before we had her fixed.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
You're referring to Cary ? As in Containment Area for Relocated Yankees ? Having spent a reasonable amount of time around there recently, I wouldn't say the Triangle (of which Cary is a part) is at all backwards....Chapel Hill and Carrboro are as progressive politically as it gets in the US, Cary is very safe and suburban, the RTP is full of tech companies, Durham is a reviving urban center and Raleigh has a whole lot of cultural stuff.
Don't bother feeding the Troll