Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA Birth certificate - new baby

USA Birth certificate - new baby

Old May 16th 2018, 3:58 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice
Default USA Birth certificate - new baby

Hi All,

Anyone know how long it should take from the day the hospital registrar submits the birth facts, to when the child would show up in the bureau of vital statistics database?

I have to pay for a search of the database ($23) and if not in the database i lose my money (how is this even allowed??)

I have heard around 4 days, anyone done this recently?

I need to order the birth certificate ASAP for her passports (UK and USA)

Thank you

RB
Old May 16th 2018, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA Birth certificate - new baby

I don't recall specifically ordering a birth certificate in a NYC hospital. All I did was fill out the necessary forms at the hospital and then they did the rest. It didn't take too long for the certificate to arrive after that. Did someone tell you to search the database?
Old May 16th 2018, 4:39 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by fbf2006
I don't recall specifically ordering a birth certificate in a NYC hospital. All I did was fill out the necessary forms at the hospital and then they did the rest. It didn't take too long for the certificate to arrive after that. Did someone tell you to search the database?
the way it works in Texas is the hospital submits the birth facts to the statistics department- then you have to order a birth certificate which involves them searching the database and then printing an original certificate. I’m just not sure how long this takes
Old May 16th 2018, 4:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We never ordered one either in NYS. Got both girls registered birth certificates within 10 days and received the cursory one from the hospital the day after the birth. Wondering what searching the database will do if a passport is needed. I just ordered a passport last week and a birth certificate with a raised seal was required.

Edit: None of the above is applicable to the OP as NYS apparently differs from the great state of Texas and the OP explained she is only going to order a birth certificate after the details have been entered.

Last edited by Rete; May 16th 2018 at 4:42 pm.
Old May 16th 2018, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtolakes

the way it works in Texas is the hospital submits the birth facts to the statistics department- then you have to order a birth certificate which involves them searching the database and then printing an original certificate. I’m just not sure how long this takes
Ah, good to know! I am now in Texas so thanks for the information! Sorry for the hassle though!
Old May 18th 2018, 1:39 am
UK spouse visa

Ah, good to know! I am now in Texas so thanks for the information! Sorry for the hassle though!
i succesfully got the birth certificate today. For reference and to assist anyone else in the Houston area who needs a certificate rapidly, this is what to do.... go online https://houstonvitals.permitium.com/bc/application and request/pay for the birth certificate, be sure to select “ collect in person” option. I ordered mine at 11:04am and I got a call from the office saying it was ready to collect less than 2 hours later. I went to the office and showed ID and walked out 5 minutes later with the certificate . You can show up without ordering online but will be waiting in line ( lots of people there waiting) by pre-ordering online I skipped the queue - so in summary child was born 10th May - I have certificate in hand a week later, by mail they say 20-24 days - good luck!