USA advice

Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:56 am
Just Joined

brixham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA advice

I am looking to move to USA how do I arrange getting money from
my brutish bank account transferred to the USA. Are there certain conditions, opening a bank account in the US?
Does my Barclays account let me transfer money via Bank of America.

Any advice
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA advice

Originally Posted by brixham
my brutish bank account transferred to the USA. Are there certain conditions, opening a bank account in the US?

Any advice
Hi,

I can't speak about the conditions of opening a bank account in the USA (a little more info about your personal situation will assist others in helping you here).

Re sending money from a British bank account to USA - my advice is to you is never ever use a 'highstreet' bank to transfer money overseas. Unless Barclays are unlike any other bank I've come across then they will not offer you the best rate that you could get.

The difference in exchange rate offered is usually small but nevertheless very significant - the significance obviously gets bigger the larger the amount of money. They will tell you "Oh, we don't charge any fees" - beware; their fee is in the poorer rate that they gave you!!

Here's an example:

Let's assume the main stream rate is 1.6 US$ to the £.

A high street bank might offer say 1.52 US$ to the £. A reputable currency converter like HIFX (I have nothing to do with them, btw) might offer you 1.58 US$ to the £. Not much of a difference you might think - except when you do this sum:

£10,000 @ 1.52 = $15,200
£10,000 @ 1.58 = $15,800

So that's $600 right there and that's with only a 6 cent difference. The difference will usually be much greater than this.

Tip: whenever getting quotes for exchanging currency, always ask "how many (x amount) US$ will (x amount) £ buy me, including any fees?" If you don't ask that way you'll get told what a great exchange rate you're getting and the fact that there's no fees. No fees mean diddly squat if you're getting a poor rate. In the above example the bank is making the difference between the overall rate of exchange and the one they offer you.

A recent example from someone I know was this:

£50,000 @ 1.50 Bank = $75,000 (non fees)
£50,000 @ 1.57 online currency converter = $78,500 (no fees)

Obviously some people might like the 'peace of mind' that dealing with a high street bank may bring. However, there are a lot of very reputable organisations out there who will give you a far better rate and save you a lot of money. Take your time and do a some research into the rates you can get, you might be surprised!! (Obviously when doing your comparisons do it all on the same day so that the overall rate doesn't change, otherwise you won't be comparing like with like.)

Last edited by YouWantFriesWithThat; Oct 5th 2009 at 10:46 am.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:09 am
Just Joined

brixham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer of money USA

my brutish bank account transferred to the USA

Can I cash a british cheque in a US bank?

I want to transfer money electronically to the USA
I haven't got a bank account yet there?

Is barclays linked to Bank of America ?
Can I transfer money from Barclays to a Bank of America account?

I know I can withdraw money with my British debit card?

any advice?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer of money USA

any advice?
Yes - read the suggestion already given... and perhaps find a better forum to post in. This one deals with marriage-based immigration, and your question is not immigration related.

Ian
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes - read the suggestion already given... and perhaps find a better forum to post in. This one deals with marriage-based immigration, and your question is not immigration related.

Ian
Moved to USA forum.

Rene
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:33 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking to move to USA how do I arrange getting money from my brutish bank account transferred to the USA
Hey, I know we're all down on bankers, but don't you think that's going a little far?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice
So you have a visa right?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I was wondering when someone would ask the $64,000 question.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:14 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Its gotta be done matey, no use keeping the thread going if its a pipe dream

Next stop Florida lol
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Next stop Florida lol
OP is a man of few words.

And the words are all the same...
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Next stop Florida lol
I know...should we take odds on the reply.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:21 pm

Be nice to be proved wrong hey!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:22 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Be nice to be proved wrong hey!
Nice, but, I suspect, unlikely...
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:23 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Next stop Florida lol
Originally Posted by Elvira
OP is a man of few words.

And the words are all the same...

you are all so mean
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by candy wy.
you are all so mean
This is the same Candy I know making that statement right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.