Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the USA actually more expensive than the UK?

Is the USA actually more expensive than the UK?

Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the USA actually more expensive than the UK?

Some we know went to Arizona to help a aunt move and he did a bit 8f a grocery shop, was shocked how much cheaper it was over there.

Living in MA is not cheaper, unless you're out west.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Salaries seem to be low here in Arizona. My hands have been tied a little ( actually a lot) because I didn't count on the better driving jobs here requiring at least two years of US driving experience. I foolishly assumed over 20 years of UK driving experience would be acceptable. It isn't. As a direct result I lost out (literally at the last minute) on a potentially great job with benefits etc.

So I'm experiencing life in the US on low wages I guess. Maybe that's why I'm being extra critical. I just thought that buying a home without a mortgage would magically turn our finances into easy street. But I compared costs to owning property in the UK and the US total came out higher. As I said this is mostly due to food costs, higher contracts here and there, and to non-employer provided healthcare.

I'm currently not even contributing to a pension, and that bugs me. Obviously for those of you who came over with a job lined up it would be very different. I'm guessing those types of deals are well paid, otherwise why come over in the first place?

I know it's difficult to make comparisons when there are so many different costs of living in the UK, and a 100 times more in the USA! It did surprise me in the US that you can't simply downsize by buying a flat. As mentioning condos require monthly fees. And those are permanent.
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My perception is that it's harder to make ends meet on a low salary in the US, if that makes sense.
I think it makes sense.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 6:12 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I too think it depends where you live, moving from Somerset to the sticks in GA it seems roughly the same. Lower costings of renting/utilities are offset by lower wages and having to drive everywhere in a blood suckingly inefficient car.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 9:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
...... It did surprise me in the US that you can't simply downsize by buying a flat. As mentioning condos require monthly fees. And those are permanent. ....
Did you own a flat in the UK? ...... I considered buying one as my first home in London, back in the 90's but was shocked to find out what the "ground rent" would be. Just like condos in the US, the owners of the units have to contribute to a fund that pays for the repair and maintenance of the shell and common areas.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Did you own a flat in the UK? ...... I considered buying one as my first home in London, back in the 90's but was shocked to find out what the "ground rent" would be. Just like condos in the US, the owners of the units have to contribute to a fund that pays for the repair and maintenance of the shell and common areas.
We rented in the UK, though we could have bought. I feared a property crash, which had happened in the states but never took hold in the UK.

Ground rents vary, but are generally very low i.e. £300 a year. Sometimes they are less than that. There are exceptionally expensive ones around too though of course.

I'd be interested to know what ballpark association fees are in the US. Realtors seem so reluctant to give out that kind of information
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

We rented in the UK, though we could have bought. I feared a property crash, which had happened in the states but never took hold in the UK.

Ground rents vary, but are generally very low i.e. £300 a year. Sometimes they are less than that. There are exceptionally expensive ones around too though of course.

I'd be interested to know what ballpark association fees are in the US. Realtors seem so reluctant to give out that kind of information
I bought a flat in London in the 80s. The ground rent was nominal, but the service charge was higher, and didn't cover the cost of maintenance - we had to pay separately when some major work was needed.

This would put me off buying a leasehold property in the future.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 6:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I bought a flat in London in the 80s. The ground rent was nominal, but the service charge was higher, and didn't cover the cost of maintenance - we had to pay separately when some major work was needed.

This would put me off buying a leasehold property in the future.
I looked at flats in London in the mid 90's, and faced paying very nearly as much in ground rent and service charges as I had been paying for my share of a rented house, so would have saved virtually nothing of my rental expense if I had bought a flat.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Is the USA actually more expensive than the UK? In general, no. Every cost of living ranking by country that I have seen ranks the UK as more expensive than the US. Individual experiences may vary from this general rule because it depends on various factors e.g. where you moved from and to.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

I'm surprised that you find realtors don't give that info. Mostly I've found it quite easy to get it; although I guess I'm typically finding it by using the online listing rather than asking the agent.

And I bought a flat in London in the 90s (terrace house converted into 3 flats) and our maintenance and ground rent is £40 per month. This covers utilities, insurance, filing the leasehold company taxes every year, and general maintenance for the flats. I thought it was quite reasonable.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Is the USA actually more expensive than the UK? In general, no. Every cost of living ranking by country that I have seen ranks the UK as more expensive than the US. Individual experiences may vary from this general rule because it depends on various factors e.g. where you moved from and to.
I think it also depends on the quality of things as well. If you go for the cheapest thing when buying things like food, houses, cars and pretty much anything else then you will almost certainly spend less in the US than the UK. If you actually start evealuating things like for like the price difference of the lower UK qualities is not that much different and the better quality stuff will often cost you more in the US than the UK. I think long term, it pretty much equals out regardless of where you are or what you buy. You may save a ton on a house for example but you will end up paying that difference on repairs on a US house that you wouldn't need to do on a UK one.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Like most people, I think it depends where you are, but I would imagine that on the whole, cost-wise, it probably all averages out.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I think it also depends on the quality of things as well. If you go for the cheapest thing when buying things like food, houses, cars and pretty much anything else then you will almost certainly spend less in the US than the UK. If you actually start evealuating things like for like the price difference of the lower UK qualities is not that much different and the better quality stuff will often cost you more in the US than the UK. I think long term, it pretty much equals out regardless of where you are or what you buy. You may save a ton on a house for example but you will end up paying that difference on repairs on a US house that you wouldn't need to do on a UK one.
Cost of living also depends on salary...not just the monetary cost of goods. My wife and I obtained much higher salaries in the US for basically doing the same jobs we did in the UK - and we moved here from London. So we feel a lot better off financially in the US. Tax deductions for mortgage interest and property taxes also helps a lot. We were also worried about US college costs since we have 4 kids. After the recent tripling of tuition fees in the UK, costs there are now comparable to US "in state" tuition fees.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Cost of living also depends on salary...not just the monetary cost of goods. My wife and I obtained much higher salaries in the US for basically doing the same jobs we did in the UK - and we moved here from London. So we feel a lot better off financially in the US. Tax deductions for mortgage interest and property taxes also helps a lot. We were also worried about US college costs since we have 4 kids. After the recent tripling of tuition fees in the UK, costs there are now comparable to US "in state" tuition fees.
The headline fees may make it look like they are comparable, but the payment method options in the UK (student loans which are effectively a 'graduate tax') set them apart.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
The headline fees may make it look like they are comparable, but the payment method options in the UK (student loans which are effectively a 'graduate tax') set them apart.
Yes, but payable at an effectively zero real interest rate - not the American system.....
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Living in MA is not cheaper, unless you're out west.
I'd say inside 495 is comparable to the South East of England (London and suburbs). Outside of that is more like the Midlands in terms of prices and COL & it tends to get cheaper the further out of the Boston area you get. Certainly not a cheap state to live in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.