Reload this Page >

USA 911-Emergency Service Charges and DV lottery

USA 911-Emergency Service Charges and DV lottery

Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

greenMark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA 911-Emergency Service Charges and DV lottery

Hi All,

I'm one of the DV lottery 2010 winners for USA and expecting the interview confirmation letter. I have travelled to USA once (in 2008) as a visitor and had emergency medical treatments from a hospital in California during that 10 days period. I was taken to the hospital by 911 emergency services. My wife signed all the documents given by 911 and the hospital. Later on we discovered they had sent the bills for the address where we were. (We never thought they are charging for these services, in UK they never charge.) My wife and I stayed at my uncle's place and this same address was given to the green card processing. But we didn't pay any of these hospital bills or Emergency service bills. (We were in UK when receiving bills). Will there be a problem at my Green card visa interview regarding this matter?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:50 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA 911-Emergency Service Charges and DV lottery

welcome to America.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenMark
Hi All,

I'm one of the DV lottery 2010 winners for USA and expecting the interview confirmation letter. I have travelled to USA once (in 2008) as a visitor and had emergency medical treatments from a hospital in California during that 10 days period. I was taken to the hospital by 911 emergency services. My wife signed all the documents given by 911 and the hospital. Later on we discovered they had sent the bills for the address where we were. (We never thought they are charging for these services, in UK they never charge.) My wife and I stayed at my uncle's place and this same address was given to the green card processing. But we didn't pay any of these hospital bills or Emergency service bills. (We were in UK when receiving bills). Will there be a problem at my Green card visa interview regarding this matter?

If there isn't a problem at your interview......there could well be a problem the next time you dial 911!

Our insurance premiums keep going up, partly to pay for those who skip-out on their obligations.

When my Mother-In-Law died, the cost of Ambulance and Paramedic services was $850....which was paid via Insurance.

Jim.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 5:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the whole world knew that they needed to buy medical travel insurance to visit the US
It may not come up in the interview, but by now it would have been sent to a collection agency and when you apply for any credit in the US they will probably track you down and start to ask for their money. Start saving. Did your Uncle say how much the bills were for?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

It might come back to you, especially if the hospital passed on your debt and/or claimed government payment for all or some of it. If you are coming to the US you need to be aware that healthcare is costly and nothing like the NHS. It should be something that is carefully considered before making the move as it can drain all your money and leave you bankrupt.

I would advise you contact the hospital and find out what's what and then see if you can negotiate a discount, although since you skipped out on your debts I doubt they will be willing to offer you much of a discount if any. You should pay off the debt as it is your debt and is only adding to the healthcare issues we have here already then you should be in the clear. Most hospitals will forgive late payment as long as they get payment.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 5:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I would assume that you are not ignorant of the fact that the US does not have a Universal Healthcare system in place and that medical procedures are not free. I would also assume that you would know that you were to take a travel healthcare plan out for your visit.

If the bills were sent to your uncle's house why were they not forwarded to you by him for payment? It is your responsibility to pay the charges and do not be surprised if you it comes back to bite you in the arse and if you find that there is a warrant out for you when you next enter the US.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

For once I am happy to live in Virginia Beach, home to an all volunteer free rescue squad. They are outstanding. I think a man down the street has serious health problems and no insurance, they are at his house every other day.
http://www.rescue14.com/
http://www.plazarescue.com/

Last edited by bevinva; Jul 26th 2009 at 6:15 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a greencard won't be a problem...getting credit history to get and do anything else once here could be...

Get in touch with the hospital, sort it out....or don't bother coming back to the US.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Generally for 9-11 services:

Fire department services, free and paid via taxes.

Police- Free via taxes.

Ambulance- generally a fee attached even when the service is provided via the local fire department or city.

There are differences state to state, city to city but generally this is what you can expect, haven't lived in a city yet where police or fire bill for actual emergency calls, fire will at times charge for false alarms or if you set the fire etc.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

A little off topic but generally aren't you only charged for the ambulance if you use them. For example, you pass out and before you come to some one has called 911, you come around, ambulance arrives but you refuse to go with them to the hospital... you are not charged, correct?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
A little off topic but generally aren't you only charged for the ambulance if you use them. For example, you pass out and before you come to some one has called 911, you come around, ambulance arrives but you refuse to go with them to the hospital... you are not charged, correct?
Depends, you might get a charge for wasting their time, but probably not in the situation you noted. You probably will get charged for non emergency calls of a ambulance, like being in labour or breaking an arm...which is daft.

Where we used to live in Maine, years back, in the lakes area, the town provided the service for free which was nice, not seen it since, but there are some nice places that do it....
Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends, you might get a charge for wasting their time, but probably not in the situation you noted. You probably will get charged for non emergency calls of a ambulance, like being in labour or breaking an arm...which is daft.

Where we used to live in Maine, years back, in the lakes area, the town provided the service for free which was nice, not seen it since, but there are some nice places that do it....
Labor would be considered an emergency and your almost always better off calling for paramedics vs trying to rush to the ER yourself.

Broken arm depends on the severity of the break, a compound fracture would most certainly be a emergency.

The company I did billing for only charged for services rendered, so if we did not transport we didn't bill you anything, my mom's company where she was a paramedic however charged 75 call out fee if no transport was needed.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 9:26 am
Just Joined

greenMark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
I would assume that you are not ignorant of the fact that the US does not have a Universal Healthcare system in place and that medical procedures are not free. I would also assume that you would know that you were to take a travel healthcare plan out for your visit.

If the bills were sent to your uncle's house why were they not forwarded to you by him for payment? It is your responsibility to pay the charges and do not be surprised if you it comes back to bite you in the arse and if you find that there is a warrant out for you when you next enter the US.
My Uncle said that I do not need to pay those bills, Can they track me without any SSN?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

My Uncle said that I do not need to pay those bills, Can they track me without any SSN?
Were these bills sent to you uncle's address? Why would he not have told you about them? SSN or not they are still your bills and a silly thing to not pay and risk losing your dream of moving to the US. How much are they? I would at least set up a payment plan, the debt isn't that old.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

You do need to pay for them because they are your debt. It's no different to using a credit card and then not paying the bill and saying you don't have to. They can track you down without an SSN, actually pretty easily if you move here, they will pass the debt to a collection agency. honestly, I'm at astounded that you are so unaware of the US healthcare system and so nonchalant about skipping out on a debt for services you used!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.