Reload this Page >

US will know UK criminal records

US will know UK criminal records

Old Sep 24th 2008, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US will know UK criminal records

Hi:

From time to time, one see posts here to the effect that the US Border Guards won't have access to UK criminal records. Think again.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/...09232008_4.xml

Last edited by meauxna; Oct 23rd 2008 at 3:38 pm. Reason: updated link
Old Sep 24th 2008, 5:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US will know UK criminal records

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

From time to time, one see posts here to the effect that the US Border Guards won't have access to UK criminal records. Think again.

That means its now official ..what went on before was not ....
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:46 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
That means its now official ..what went on before was not ....
I wonder how many people this will hit, i.e., how many people who have entered in the past, denying any criminal record, will now get netted.

Does anyone have any feeling for this? I know that I have seen estimates in the past that 1 in 5 UK citizens have criminal records, which I don't believe, but I have also seen estimates of 1 in 20, which seems plausible.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

So, in trying to figure out what agency does what...

Does this mean, in essence, that the US could see a person's whole record (i.e. what shows up on a police report) at the border? Any arrests, cautions, convictions, whatever?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
I have seen estimates in the past that 1 in 5 UK citizens have criminal records, which I don't believe, but I have also seen estimates of 1 in 20, which seems plausible.
Perhaps Lansbury might be able to give us a "real world" figure.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:10 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i think that it will help a lot of people because they will at least know that the US knows. (does that make sense?)

It should mean they dont have the self inflicted dilema of should i declare something i feel is not worth mentioning (due to distance in past, age at time of offense, minor value of offence, unsure of whether it is in fact CIMT or not etc, etc.), or ignore it and hope i get away with it. However, those that took the later route (of ignore) may fall a cropper as they may not be aware of this change and may continue to think I got away with it last time so I will again this time.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 8:25 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
So, in trying to figure out what agency does what...

Does this mean, in essence, that the US could see a person's whole record (i.e. what shows up on a police report) at the border? Any arrests, cautions, convictions, whatever?
It can only mean extant records. For example, my arrest records have been aged out of Kent Police's (was Kent County Constabulary's) systems, and only the conviction records still exist. Furthermore, they made a typo when transferring the records from the paper to the electronic systems (my middle name was mis-spelled (in a fairly obvious manner - here's hoping it doesn't complicate the natz process)).

Also, unless they are going from local records, many people's details are not on the PNC: again, no record of me on the PNC: I had to go to the UK Court Service to get my MoCs, and even then, the records are not centralised AFAICT.

I'm guessing that this will be restricted to PNC details, but I'd be interested to hear differently from someone with authoritative knowledge.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 12:22 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nettlebed

I'm guessing that this will be restricted to PNC details, but I'd be interested to hear differently from someone with authoritative knowledge.
Hi:

I would not even venture to guess. My theory these days is, if in doubt, assume the Dark Forces know about it.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Just going from the link above, it says they will share "information on people who may present a threat", which seems to me to be a very different thing from saying they will share information on every single traveller or they "will know UK criminal records".

The UK have just announced plans for the introduction of no-fly lists, which will see certain individuals banned from flying to the UK; I would imagine this is the sort of thing they'll be sharing with their US counterparts.

It takes weeks to get police and background checks done in the UK, so I can't really see how they could share that data on demand for every person, even if they wanted to. I don't think even the UK's border officers have direct access to all UK criminal records.

ETA: Not that I'm encouraging anyone to lie on an I-94W or similar; if you can't answer no to all the questions, then you really need a visa, whether they know about it or not.

Last edited by Marty J; Sep 25th 2008 at 3:41 am.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:42 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J

It takes weeks to get police and background checks done in the UK, so I can't really see how they could share that data on demand for every person, even if they wanted to..
Onece Esta get going ..they will have weeks to check

probably be lots of profiling as well
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:48 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

Isn't that our fellow BE member?!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:51 am
Ray

Originally Posted by anabella
Isn't that our fellow BE member?!
Its not Dean ...
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray
Onece Esta get going ..they will have weeks to check
This is very true. I'm not sure how the UK would cope with a few hundred thousand extra police checks every month though.

probably be lots of profiling as well
I think they'll have their watch lists as always; the UK will just be sharing their watch lists and information on people who are denied entry with their US counterparts, and vice versa.

I can't see anywhere that suggests they will be sharing criminal records.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 4:00 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Marty J
This is very true. I'm not sure how the UK would cope with a few hundred thousand extra police checks every month though.

I think they'll have their watch lists as always; the UK will just be sharing their watch lists and information on people who are denied entry with their US counterparts, and vice versa.

I can't see anywhere that suggests they will be sharing criminal records.
Not that I know anything about this ...but EL-Al are wonderful teachers on plane security
Old Sep 25th 2008, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Not that I know anything about this ...but EL-Al are wonderful teachers on plane security
Are you referring to their use of racial profiling, or the fact they check passenger lists against police databases?

I know they check against Scotland Yard's database in the UK, but I think it would be more accurate to call that a list of "persons of interest" as opposed to a list of those with criminal convictions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.