British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Washer and Dryer worth carrying back to UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-washer-dryer-worth-carrying-back-uk-924047/)

julymermaid Apr 10th 2019 8:17 pm

US Washer and Dryer worth carrying back to UK?

Hi All,

Further to my previous post, we have decided to relocate back to UK from sunny California. It's been three years and we think this will never be 'home' in that sense for a variety of reasons. (Happy to share them incase anyone is interested).

So now I'm in busy planning mode with regards how best I can use the container we are shipping back to UK. I have to say that living in America has opened my eyes to the amazing washing machines and dryers they have here. I feel like all these years in UK, I was living on Mars when it comes to the laundry world ! Our clothes have never looked better and don't even get me started on the benefits of not having to iron out the creases my UK dryer used to get into our clothes! So after this little love note to American laundry gadgets, its obvious its on the top of my list to carry back to UK and install them there. The thought of going back to my washer dryer at home in UK is frankly depressing right now.

So the questions I have are -
- Has anyone does this? If yes, how does it work with the differences in voltage system, water usage etc ? For example - can I just use a voltage convertor to get it working ?
- If anyone has tried this, what, if any, are the issues they faced?
- Lastly - what brands would you suggest? I find that even the brands available in UK (like LG and Samsung) perform differently and so much better in the US. I honestly haven't tried the big top loading american machines (except when we rent Air B&Bs etc), but if anyone thinks they are more efficient or better to carry back, I'd be keen to hear from them. I'm also thinking ongoing maintenance and breakdown support which is likely to be absent in the UK for some of these brands, in which case, durability is a hugely important aspect.

Will truly appreciate thoughts and suggestions from all the long term Brit Expats and gadget gurus.

Thanks in advance !

julymermaid Apr 10th 2019 8:19 pm

Re: US Washer and Dryer worth carrying back to UK?

Originally Posted by julymermaid (Post 12668769)
Hi All,

- Has anyone does this?

Correction - Has anyone DONE this

Hotscot Apr 10th 2019 8:22 pm

First check if they can take variable voltage.
I wouldn't be bothered.

You're probably better asking this in the' back to the UK forum'. since de facto most here are either staying here or on the way here.

julymermaid Apr 10th 2019 8:27 pm

Thanks ! Have posted it there now.

Pulaski Apr 10th 2019 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 12668775)
First check if they can take variable voltage. .

Well that's the standard response to quesrions about moving electrical appliances in ether direction across the Atlantic, however US dryers work on 240V anyway, so the question is "how easy it is to wire an appliance wired for 240V two phase power to run on 240V single phase power.in the UK"? I suspect that it isn't difficult, but I am not a qualified electrican.

I am skeptical that a US washer could be easily rewired to run on 240V, so I would guess it would need a transformer, further adding to the space taken up by laundry appliances and the supporting installation.

Matters of power aside, US appliances would have to be exiled to the garage in almost all houses in the UK, unless perhaps if you live in a manor house or Victorian rectory, because of their sheer size, not to mention the weight of a US washing machine - many modern ones now weigh well over 200lb! :blink:

julymermaid Apr 11th 2019 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12668797)
Well that's the standard response to quesrions about moving electrical appliances in ether direction across the Atlantic, however US dryers work on 240V anyway, so the question is "how easy it is to wire an appliance wired for 240V two phase power to run on 240V single phase power.in the UK"? I suspect that it isn't difficult, but I am not a qualified electrican.

I am skeptical that a US washer could be easily rewired to run on 240V, so I would guess it would need a transformer, further adding to the space taken up by laundry appliances and the supporting installation.

Matters of power aside, US appliances would have to be exiled to the garage in almost all houses in the UK, unless perhaps if you live in a manor house or Victorian rectory, because of their sheer size, not to mention the weight of a US washing machine - many modern ones now weigh well over 200lb! :blink:

Thanks Pulaski ! I'd appreciate if I can continue this thread here since its been deleted from moving back to UK forum as a duplicate.
We have a utility area with its own door outside (definitely NOT a manor house though :D) so can manage the size and space bit - although you make a good point about the weight. Any thoughts on the brands you would recommend with regards maintenance etc?

sherbert Apr 11th 2019 4:01 am

Hi All,

Further to my previous post, we have decided to relocate back to UK from sunny California. It's been three years and we think this will never be 'home' in that sense for a variety of reasons. (Happy to share them incase anyone is interested).

Yes please: I have the same feeling and would love to know your reasons. Perhaps post it on the moving back forum because someone might close the thread/delete for being off topic etc if you go off on a tangent here :blah:

So now I'm in busy planning mode with regards how best I can use the container we are shipping back to UK. I have to say that living in America has opened my eyes to the amazing washing machines and dryers they have here. I feel like all these years in UK, I was living on Mars when it comes to the laundry world !

So true! I adore my top of the range/load sensing washer and gas dryer (brand new when I moved in - thanks landlord!). So huge and white and shiny and efficient!

In fact, I made a long list of pros/cons about staying and leaving and one of the top three cons about leaving was that I'd miss my washer/dryer. Appalling really. I wouldn't consider taking them back with me though. I'll just wave them goodbye and go back to barely washed and crispy clothes force dried on the radiator etc.

ddsrph Apr 11th 2019 12:48 pm

I don’t think it would work. The dryer has electronics that run off 110v. With American 220 v one leg is 110. That is why modern dryers use a four prong plug to safely allow tapping off the 110. The washer also a problem unless it is tagged to run off 240 which is highly unlikely as the motor is wired for 110. Many motors can be run off 110 or 220 but require reconnections. I am not a electrician so get other opinions.

Pulaski Apr 11th 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 12668997)
I don’t think it would work. The dryer has electronics that run off 120v. With American 240 v one leg is 120. That is why modern dryers use a four prong plug to safely allow tapping off the 120. ….

I'd forgotten that, that a US dryer basically runs off 120V for its switches and controls, like most other things in the US, but has two 120V connections which allows the motor to be wired with a 240V supply. In other words you cannot just connect the machine to a single phase 240V supply. Worse, this also means that you cannot even run it using a transformer, because the UK mains is a single 240V phase, and with a transformer you'd only have a single 120V phase when you need two 120V phases for a US dryer.

@Ddsrph If your mains is 110V I suggest you contact the power company to have them diagnose the problem, because mains in the US is 120V. :nod:

ddsrph Apr 11th 2019 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12669004)
I'd forgotten that, that a US dryer basically runs off 120V for its switches and controls, like most other things in the US, but has two 120V connections which allows the motor to be wired with a 240V supply. In other words you cannot just connect the machine to a single phase 240V supply. Worse, this also means that you cannot even run it using a transformer, because the UK mains is a single 240V phase, and with a transformer you'd only have a single 120V phase when you need two 120V phases for a US dryer.

@Ddsrph If your mains is 110V I suggest you contact the power company to have them diagnose the problem, because mains in the US is 120V. :nod:

You hear 110 or 120 I have never checked mine but have no problems. I used 110 in conversation as 220 is only the sum of both incoming phases and you never hear it referred to as 240.

Pulaski Apr 11th 2019 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 12669007)
….. You hear 110 or 120 I have never checked mine but have no problems. I used 110 in conversation as 220 is only the sum of both incoming phases and you never hear it referred to as 240.

I have a multimeter which I use to test for a live connection and it consistently measures at 120V +/- 1V, in two states, several houses, and actually three different multimeters. I also Googled to check and found only references to US mains being 120V, no mention of 110V or 115V, though I have seen and heard both used occasionally.

ddsrph Apr 11th 2019 2:10 pm

I just checked mine. I checked in my detached garage which I ran on sub panel 80 feet of wire from main panel. I got 120.1 and on my welder outlet got 245. In the U.K. what is the standard wiring size? Smaller than our 12ga due to higher voltage? I ran my entire new house with 12 gauge except where bigger required. I did run 14 for my 4 smoke detectors. I saved a fortune on labor and put some of that into using all commercial grade 20amp receptacles and switches which I highly recommend for anyone building a new house. The cost is not that much more.

Hotscot Apr 11th 2019 2:15 pm

Might invalidate home insurance too...

Olly_ Apr 11th 2019 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12669014)
I have a multimeter which I use to test for a live connection and it consistently measures at 120V +/- 1V, in two states, several houses, and actually three different multimeters. I also Googled to check and found only references to US mains being 120V, no mention of 110V or 115V, though I have seen and heard both used occasionally.

I have a UPS under my desk which displays the incoming voltage and I've noticed it vary from 117V all the way up to 130V. Just within tolerance I believe but 130V is pushing it! 121V right now though.

The power grid here is pretty ropey, so much so that we've had a natural gas powered standby generator installed.

Pulaski Apr 11th 2019 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Olly_ (Post 12669075)
I have a UPS under my desk which displays the incoming voltage and I've noticed it vary from 117V all the way up to 130V. Just within tolerance I believe but 130V is pushing it!

The power grid here is pretty ropey, so much so that we've had a natural gas powered standby generator installed.

I hear that even by US standard, NJ power is rough and spikey. …. I guess that comes with being the first in the world with the technology. :lol: