Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Washer and Dryer worth carrying back to UK?

US Washer and Dryer worth carrying back to UK?

Old Apr 11th 2019, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Washer and Dryer worth carrying back to UK?

Very old infrastructure and lack of investment is catching up with NJ unfortunately.

I used to live near Hoboken and they had terrible problems with ancient water mains bursting all the time and flooding the streets. Many towns have very old cast iron gas mains that leak, PSE&G is finally proactively replacing them.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

As I said on the other thread in the MBTUK forum - not just the electrics but the water and outlet connections will have to be considered. I also don't know what difference water pressure you can expect between your UK and USA residences and if machines are set up to cope with it. Also, hard <-> soft water?

Given the amount of work you may need to do to reconfigure a UK utility room to take US washer and driers, I would just buy some decent Miele machines with the money instead. Our last Miele washer was 30 years old when it became economically non-viable to repair - it was a hand-me down from my mother-in-law to my husband so had moved around a bit too. My husband baulked at the prices of new Miele machines, but was persuaded to a Bosch. (my parents have a Bosch that is approaching 20 years old and it does a wash every day - heaven forbid a piece of dirty laundry is allowed to rest more than a few hours in the basket - but they live in a very soft water area)
Old Apr 15th 2019, 1:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
As I said on the other thread in the MBTUK forum - not just the electrics but the water and outlet connections will have to be considered. I also don't know what difference water pressure you can expect between your UK and USA residences and if machines are set up to cope with it. Also, hard <-> soft water? ….
The water connections, size/space, water softness/hardness, etc, are all issues that could be overcome relatively easily if those were the only obstacles to be overcome, however the requirement for a two-phase 240V power supply is not, at least not at any reasonable cost and effort (lest Steveq show upon this thread. ), and that alone should kill the idea.

If the OP is determined to find an appliance of the size of a US washer, then they should look at Miele commercial washer, …. and prepare to pay through the nose.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not going to get it serviced in the UK should it break. Time for Craigslist I'm thinking.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 3:50 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest are these front loaders or top loaders?
Old Apr 19th 2019, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Oh gosh.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 9:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Why would you think anyone at BE cares?
Old Apr 20th 2019, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Retail washing machines are cheaper in the UK. If you want to pay US prices for a washer and dryer look at something like https://domuslaundryequipment.co.uk/washing-machines/
Old Apr 20th 2019, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

A possibility, in regards to the various voltage issues, is that with all these brands being international these days it may just be that they make one core piece of technology and then 'adapt' it to the various countries they sell in using jumpers, taps, etc. So it might just be that you can flip a jumper or two on a circuit board to achieve the move. Finding out how to do this could be a challenge, though! It's certainly true of modern electronics - these days all 'power adapters' (bricks) are 100-240 rated; it's just cheaper to make 'one size fits all' (and supports international travel). However, making one 'heavy duty' appliance for multiple voltages is probably not practical due to differences in current draw - wire thicknesses, etc.

This site may be of use: https://www.110220volts.com/washer-5star.html ... seems to focus on the international trafficking of appliances! Also - https://www.220-electronics.com/volt...ing-guide.html

If you can't live without your US-style washer/dryer, what about your US fridge? I can't conceive how anyone can survive in the UK with the microscopic devices found in the average kitchen there, even allowing for the fact that ice-cold beverages are not the norm!

Old Apr 20th 2019, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I know more about hairdressing and appliances than I ever intended...
Old Apr 20th 2019, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
A possibility, in regards to the various voltage issues, is that with all these brands being international these days it may just be that they make one core piece of technology and then 'adapt' it to the various countries they sell in using jumpers, taps, etc. So it might just be that you can flip a jumper or two on a circuit board to achieve the move. Finding out how to do this could be a challenge, though! It's certainly true of modern electronics - these days all 'power adapters' (bricks) are 100-240 rated; it's just cheaper to make 'one size fits all' (and supports international travel). However, making one 'heavy duty' appliance for multiple voltages is probably not practical due to differences in current draw - wire thicknesses, etc.

This site may be of use: https://www.110220volts.com/washer-5star.html ... seems to focus on the international trafficking of appliances! Also - https://www.220-electronics.com/volt...ing-guide.html

If you can't live without your US-style washer/dryer, what about your US fridge? I can't conceive how anyone can survive in the UK with the microscopic devices found in the average kitchen there, even allowing for the fact that ice-cold beverages are not the norm!
I think the US market is big enough to have most of the appliances manufactured just for the US market. What I can't understand is why in the US you cannot buy a 48 hour rated freezer, the only option is to buy a generator.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I think the US market is big enough to have most of the appliances manufactured just for the US market. What I can't understand is why in the US you cannot buy a 48 hour rated freezer, the only option is to buy a generator.
I'd never heard that term before, so looked it up. This site - https://www.fda.gov/food/resourcesfo.../ucm076881.htm - says "A full freezer will keep the temperature for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door remains closed.". Could it be that some countries or manufacturers actually 'rate' this while in the US, it's not an official measure ... but that doesn't mean a freezer won't actually achieve that goal? Actually, I put on my best google search hat but couldn't find anything related to a 'rating' ...
Old Apr 21st 2019, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This one is power cut safe rated for 32 hours. https://www.zanussi.co.uk/kitchen/co...zer/zfc631wap/ looking at the product specification sheet. I very much doubt many of the US freezers are good for 48 hours. Many have very thin walls and not good efficiency.

This freezer is rated at 40 hours, so in the UK the manufacturers give ratings. https://sparkworld.co.uk/cooling/fre...chest-freezers

Last edited by mrken30; Apr 21st 2019 at 4:53 am.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mrken30
This one is power cut safe rated for 32 hours. https://www.zanussi.co.uk/kitchen/co...zer/zfc631wap/ looking at the product specification sheet. I very much doubt many of the US freezers are good for 48 hours. Many have very thin walls and not good efficiency.
I cannot for the life of me find where it refers to 32 hours! I must be going blind ...

ETA - I do see the reference to 40 hours in the other link you provided. But it doesn't seem to be a formal standard, just a claim by the vendor.

Last edited by Steerpike; Apr 21st 2019 at 5:08 am.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I cannot for the life of me find where it refers to 32 hours! I must be going blind ...

ETA - I do see the reference to 40 hours in the other link you provided. But it doesn't seem to be a formal standard, just a claim by the vendor.
32 hours is listed in the product information sheet pdf