Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US vs UK for uni. Advice?

US vs UK for uni. Advice?

Old Jul 13th 2020, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US vs UK for uni. Advice?

Originally Posted by aviii_
I'm a US citizen so in the US I wouldn't be considered an int'l student. However, I definitely would be in the UK
You may not be an "international student" but you will not meet residency requirements to be considered "in state for tuition purposes" which often start a year or two before you enroll.

Count me in the minority here, who does think this may be a problem, particularly if you end up wanting to do a job that requires some sort of US state-level certification, which uni courses and practicums often tie directly into - or you are wanting to do some job that requires in-depth knowledge of a regulatory climate, which will vary from country to country. In short if the plan is to work in the US, I think you are better off at a US university, and doing a semester abroad or something in the UK rather than studying in Britain with the aim of getting a job in the US.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just add, as you said you are a US Citizen in Asia, are you a DoDDS student? If so, special provisions may apply that you can qualify for.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
In short if the plan is to work in the US, I think you are better off at a US university, and doing a semester abroad or something in the UK rather than studying in Britain with the aim of getting a job in the US.

A semester abroad can cover the "adventure" part, without needing to grind the whole way through the degree there.

Although, OP doesn't say what actually appeals about the UK. Is it that you think it is a higher-value program? Or you just like the idea of living there?
Old Jul 13th 2020, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Hello. My husband is a US citizen who works in IT and did his undergrad in the UK. He worked for several years with his undergrad degree in the US, UK and other EU countries. Often, it is not about the degree itself, but whether what you are doing is in high demand. My recommendation would be to start with that question.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

aviii_ is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been thinking about this! I could do half a year. The UK experience seems more appealing to me, and I'm not in close contact with anyone in the US - so thats why ive been considering the UK for uni
Old Jul 13th 2020, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

That's kind of what I've been hoping to hear! Thanks for sharing this. It makes me confident either choice I make
Old Jul 13th 2020, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I couldn't qualify for in-state anywhere :/ but its cool! I saw that coming in advance. I plan on going into analytics/consulting so I don't think I'd need a license in a state? I googled that and it seems like that a special license isnt required. What's a DoDDS student? I haven't heard of that but I'll gladly google it. I've already got my breakdown for fees for both schools, though. I'm trying to balance out the "US uni -> US job" vs "if its in demand, it'll work"
Old Jul 13th 2020, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Nice!! Thanks for sharing your experience. I was essentially looking for replies like these to know if its been done!
Old Jul 13th 2020, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviii_
Yeah I couldn't qualify for in-state anywhere :/ but its cool! I saw that coming in advance. I plan on going into analytics/consulting so I don't think I'd need a license in a state? I googled that and it seems like that a special license isnt required. What's a DoDDS student? I haven't heard of that but I'll gladly google it. I've already got my breakdown for fees for both schools, though. I'm trying to balance out the "US uni -> US job" vs "if its in demand, it'll work"
If you want to go into consulting, I would do an undergrad in the UK (less time to completion) and then follow up with a full-time MBA. What you should realise about the US versus UK is that in the US, you will have to take more than a few irrelevant classes in order to get your degree (it is a revenue generation activity). You will also have to pay a lot of ancillary (and potentially unexpected) fees as a part of the university experience. In the UK, time to completion is less (3 versus 4 years in the US) and overall costs (when considering extra fees) is probably also less.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 3:39 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I did my BSc at the University of Manchester in the UK.

You can check out the THES (which is bias towards english language) here:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...#survey-answer

Manchester dropped to joint 55th, but is still up there, maybe look where the US schools you are looking at rank. And others said drill in by subject not just overall.

While I only visited some friends at a US university I agree the experience is different.

For undergrad the legal drinking age in the UK means more bars and clubs vs parties.

Sport seems like a much bigger deal in the US than UK universities.

At least when I was a student having your own room was the norm in the UK (back in 1997 I paid GBP35 a week for a single self catering room). In the US at least for the first year sharing a room is more the norm.

The biggest thing I would say looking back is that University is a place you make adult friendships, so if you plan is to move to the US, you may make friends who you then leave behind and have to start over again. You may also make a romantic connection meaning your plans may change.
Old Jul 14th 2020, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked for various large and well regarded US companies in IT (now "Digital") and I'm quite familiar with the ITMB course in Manchester, which it sounds like is your preferred track?

Generally I can tell you as a "Digital" VP for a large US firm who also used to run/sponsor our graduate program, that for us, a UK degree was worth no more or no less than the bulk of US degree's. I say bulk, as we do have partnerships with a small number of "top" US colleges who's graduates do gain somewhat preferential treatment when applying. But in general it's mostly a wash.

I will add however, that our graduates do experience a lot of international and domestic travel, and therefore having cultural experiences outside of the US, be that 3 years for university or 6 months for a "summer abroad" is still generally considered a plus.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Wh431 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Addressing only the location of the institution, not the reputation of the institution or the quality of the program, I would say that US employers generally don't seem to care much about where the degree is from, because the US is awash with degree-awarding colleges and universities, such that it is common to get applications from people holding a degree from an institution that not only do you know nothing about, you may never even have heard of!

The UK is the opposite with, IIRC only about 70 institutions awarding degrees, and only ONE of those privately owned, such that an application from an institution you know little about would stand out like a sore thumb.
70? not sure if this is how it is now a days. This list suggests there are double that in the UK

https://www.ukuni.net/universities

After the ex-polytechnics now every small college in uk has been upgraded to a University. Even in small unknown towns of Uk like chichester and Slough you ve a degree awarding university.

As for employer recognition in the US, i would say unless its from a top notch place like Harvard or Cambridge, it doesn’t really matter (as long as its a legal and accreditated Univ). What really matters in job hunting is your previous experience. Considering the state of british economy, you will be better off going to the US.

Good luck
Old Jul 16th 2020, 1:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wh431
70? ....
I was counting the "original" universities and the converted polys. I was unaware that every tu'penny-ha'penny town college had been allowed to convert to the status of a degree-awarding university.
Old Jul 16th 2020, 2:32 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I was counting the "original" universities and the converted polys. I was unaware that every tu'penny-ha'penny town college had been allowed to convert to the status of a degree-awarding university.
this is what I use as a proxy for Ivy when comparing the UK:
https://russellgroup.ac.uk/about/our-universities/
Old Jul 16th 2020, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Just bear in mind that an honours (first) degree at a Scottish university is a four year course, like the US and most other countries. It's a three year course at an English university. This might be something to consider if you're planning a career in the US?

Last edited by MartynK; Jul 16th 2020 at 8:51 am. Reason: spelling error

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.