Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US vs UK for uni. Advice?

US vs UK for uni. Advice?

Old Jul 12th 2020, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

aviii_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb US vs UK for uni. Advice?

Hi! I'm a US citizen that's been living in Asia. I'm seriously considering going to uni in the UK for the experience. I have the offers, but I'm thinking about future employment. From experience, do US employers usually strongly prefer US degrees? Have you guys enrolled your kids at UK or US unis? I just want to have an idea if I'd be disadvantaged in terms of opportunity and pay in comparison to peers who would have gone to a US uni. I'm going to study IT and business. Any experiences would help! Thank you!!
Old Jul 12th 2020, 3:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US vs UK for uni. Advice?

the biggest disadvantage to going to the UK would be getting internships during the summer vacation - the UK universities aren't anywhere near as well set-up as the US ones for this and this would definitely impact your job prospects at graduation.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 4:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Addressing only the location of the institution, not the reputation of the institution or the quality of the program, I would say that US employers generally don't seem to care much about where the degree is from, because the US is awash with degree-awarding colleges and universities, such that it is common to get applications from people holding a degree from an institution that not only do you know nothing about, you may never even have heard of!

The UK is the opposite with, IIRC only about 70 institutions awarding degrees, and only ONE of those privately owned, such that an application from an institution you know little about would stand out like a sore thumb.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 12th 2020 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you hoping to find employment after you graduate? As PF mentions, being based in the US will open up opportunities to bolster your CV (internships, industry projects, etc.), and your network will naturally be a lot stronger in the market in which you study.

A couple of other things to consider:

Parallel to the desired location question is whether you have specific future employers in mind. You should look into whether they have recruitment arrangements in place with the universities you are considering in either country.

Also it sounds like you might not be applying straight out of high school. If so, you will want to look quite carefully at the US university options. You will find VASTLY different student cultures across the country. And with many good universities residing in small college towns, it could make for a particularly rough transition if you don't fit the prevailing undergraduate demographic.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

It still matters where you go in the UK. There are a lot of places called universities, but the ones with the reputations worth looking at were largely forged more than 50 years ago.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

My offer from the US is from a school in the northeast within the top 75 of US rankings, and a lot of students in my course at that uni land great internships and jobs. My UK offer is for IT and business at UoManchester. I'm confident that both options can give me great opportunities within their countries but I wanted to know if the UK option (UoManchester) might make it too tough or inconvenient when looking for US jobs shortly after graduation (0-2 yrs after grad). I would consider working in the UK for longer, but visa issues and (potentially) better-paying US jobs might convince me to do otherwise. Trying to decide and finalize with a uni soon.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

That's sick! Did it happen through your employer?

If I can make the move from the UK to the US smoothly and independently (as I'm a citizen), then UoManchester seems viable. If it'd probably have to be through an employer, though, then it might just be smarter to enroll at my US option
Old Jul 12th 2020, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Manchester is a very fine school. There are something like 24 Nobel laureates directly associated with it. It was also the birthplace of the modern computer, so you are going to somewhere with a great reputation, which I would expect to be highly transferable. Are you going to be treated as an international student in the US and the UK ? .
Old Jul 12th 2020, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

I'm a US citizen so in the US I wouldn't be considered an int'l student. However, I definitely would be in the UK
Old Jul 12th 2020, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

The UK would be a costly option, if you have the alternative. IIRC rates are around £40,000/ per year
Old Jul 12th 2020, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Calculating from my fees and accommodation and considering currency differences, my US school would cost my parents more since its a 4 year course (but they aren't too worried- the priority is opportunities)
Old Jul 12th 2020, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Fees for foreign students in the UK are very high. Okay if daddy is one of the ruling elite from the People's Republic of China. Not sure about the practicality for an ordinary dude from the USofA.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 7:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Fees for foreign students in the UK are very high. Okay if daddy is one of the ruling elite from the People's Republic of China. Not sure about the practicality for an ordinary dude from the USofA.
"Good" colleges in the US can be surprisingly expensive if your parents have enough money to disqualify you from grants and discounts, even if you're a US student, and especially if you're "out of state".
Old Jul 12th 2020, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aviii_
Calculating from my fees and accommodation and considering currency differences, my US school would cost my parents more since its a 4 year course (but they aren't too worried- the priority is opportunities)
See how your particular field ranks from the two schools. Manchester is pretty highly ranked in many fields
Old Jul 13th 2020, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviii_
My offer from the US is from a school in the northeast within the top 75 of US rankings, and a lot of students in my course at that uni land great internships and jobs. My UK offer is for IT and business at UoManchester. I'm confident that both options can give me great opportunities within their countries but I wanted to know if the UK option (UoManchester) might make it too tough or inconvenient when looking for US jobs shortly after graduation (0-2 yrs after grad). I would consider working in the UK for longer, but visa issues and (potentially) better-paying US jobs might convince me to do otherwise. Trying to decide and finalize with a uni soon.
I'm a graduate of the University of Manchester. I've had no issues - it's a well known and highly regarded university. I have worked in the UK, Canada and the US. For my employment-based green card application in the US, I had to have my degree accredited by a third-party organization to make sure it was the equivalent of a US degree but that turned out to be a formality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.