Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US vs UK Healthcare

US vs UK Healthcare

Old Sep 21st 2004, 12:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US vs UK Healthcare

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I've mentioned this before in another thread, but will do so again in here because it's relevant. I am very much into reading books and love listening to one of the book review programs on BBC Radio5 Live. One day the book reviewed was one written by an American woman (who is a writer) about her experience with the British NHS. She was on holiday in London at a time when she was heavily pregnant.

On the day before she was due to fly back to the USA she collapsed in Oxford Street, London and rushed to hospital where her baby was delivered prematurely and safely. However, complications of some sort developed and she and her baby had to stay in hospital much longer than intended and during this time they both received excellent treatment. As she said on the radio, it was faultless in every way and she was so impressed with the kindness and attention she received on the NHS, from the doctors and nurses, that she decided to write a book about it, which she did.

In the program she praised the British NHS and although she was under no obligation to make any form of payment for her treatment, nor was she ever pressurised in any way to do so, she asked for all details of the costs involved. This she refunded, PLUS MORE, so impressed was she with the way the NHS dealt with her and her baby. Both are now well and happy back in New York, USA.

Cheers

USA citizens are entitled to emergency care and once her baby was born, it is therefore a British Citizen, and eligible for NHS benefits no?
They didn't ask for payment as none was required (it's not like they did it out of the kindness of their heart.)

but I get your point, The NHS is rather kick ass, despite being broke.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 1:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US vs UK Healthcare- about that book

I've mentioned this before in another thread, but will do so again in here because it's relevant. I am very much into reading books and love listening to one of the book review programs on BBC Radio5 Live. One day the book reviewed was one written by an American woman (who is a writer) about her experience with the British NHS. She was on holiday in London at a time when she was heavily pregnant.

On the day before she was due to fly back to the USA she collapsed in Oxford Street, London and rushed to hospital where her baby was delivered prematurely and safely. However, complications of some sort developed and she and her baby had to stay in hospital much longer than intended and during this time they both received excellent treatment. As she said on the radio, it was faultless in every way and she was so impressed with the kindness and attention she received on the NHS, from the doctors and nurses, that she decided to write a book about it, which she did.

In the program she praised the British NHS and although she was under no obligation to make any form of payment for her treatment, nor was she ever pressurised in any way to do so, she asked for all details of the costs involved. This she refunded, PLUS MORE, so impressed was she with the way the NHS dealt with her and her baby. Both are now well and happy back in New York, USA.

Cheers

I was curious about the book described above. I found it on Amazon. It's written by Ann Leary, the wife of Dennis Leary. This whole experience occured in early nineties before Dennis Leary was famous. The book's title is "An Innocent, A Broad". The book was only published (in the US) this year, 2004.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Nice story, though surprised they didn't ask to see for travel insurance, I thought holiday people had to pay for treatment...
Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:43 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
USA citizens are entitled to emergency care and once her baby was born, it is therefore a British Citizen, and eligible for NHS benefits no?
They didn't ask for payment as none was required (it's not like they did it out of the kindness of their heart.)

but I get your point, The NHS is rather kick ass, despite being broke.

No Manc, you're wrong.

Unlike the US where any child born on it's soil is automatically a US citizen, the UK does not confer citizenship purely because one was born there.

As already mentioned by another poster, "NHS tourism" is costing a fortune. Now, the American lady who was pregnant and became ill was obviously a genuine case, but it is a well known fact that many people arrive daily at Heathrow airport who are only coming to the UK for free medical treatment. I read recently that every single wheelchair was gathered up at Heathrow T3 for use by people coming off an incoming Air India flight and most of the passengers using the wheelchairs then went to the nearest hospital in Hounslow.

Indeed, when I was in hospital for my first caesarian a whole ward and surrounding areas had to be closed off.....a woman who had arrived from India to 'visit' her relatives (I still remember her name, a Mrs Bibi) came to deliver her baby at the maternity hospital and had TB.

Here is an interesting article, (plus links to some other reports on the right-side of the page).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3355751.stm
Old Sep 21st 2004, 5:48 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Nice story, though surprised they didn't ask to see for travel insurance, I thought holiday people had to pay for treatment...
Ok...just last week I was back in Blighty, my 3 year old got really sick after the 9 hour flight over, we landed on a friday and we had bought some cough/sinus medicine with us "just in case". On the saturday I could tell she was under the weather, runny nose etc, very early on that sunday morning she had problems breathing, I stayed awake most of the night listening to her chest weaze, too say I was petrified was a understatement.

I woke my mum up, she called the local doctors, that transfered us to a "house call doctor, in neigbouring Weymouth" he said that he could come over but it may take him a while, and suggested we went straight to the hospital. Anyways after driving like a man pocessed, we went straight in and in 10 minutes a very kind youngish doctor had diagnosed the problem and gave us a prescription to the safeway pharmacy....job done

I gave my visa card to the lady on the front desk (without even thinking) and the lady politely refused it "don't worry, its all been taken care of"... I was more than willing to pay for such prompt treatment, but the NHS took care of it......say what you want, its the best damn medical service in the world.

nuff said.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 6:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
Ok...just last week I was back in Blighty, my 3 year old got really sick after the 9 hour flight over, we landed on a friday and we had bought some cough/sinus medicine with us "just in case". On the saturday I could tell she was under the weather, runny nose etc, very early on that sunday morning she had problems breathing, I stayed awake most of the night listening to her chest weaze, too say I was petrified was a understatement.

I woke my mum up, she called the local doctors, that transfered us to a "house call doctor, in neigbouring Weymouth" he said that he could come over but it may take him a while, and suggested we went straight to the hospital. Anyways after driving like a man pocessed, we went straight in and in 10 minutes a very kind youngish doctor had diagnosed the problem and gave us a prescription to the safeway pharmacy....job done

<<snip>>
Just out of interest. What was the diagnosis for your daughter?

NC Penguin
Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:00 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

just to pop in a question here. I will be returning to UK next August. Ive been away since I was a child so of course Ive never used the NHS. I will be going with American husband and my children who are dual. Will we be eligible for health coverage?
BTW, great thread.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:08 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Just out of interest. What was the diagnosis for your daughter?

NC Penguin
bit of a mixture, some fluid had built up in her ears from the flight over, and some fluid on her chest from the sinus, when we got to the hospital she had a really high fever and looked out of it! after 5ml of pedriatric paracetamol (sp) and 5ml of ibuprofen, she was running around in the afternoon like nothing was ever wrong! kids I tell ya. The docotor didn't even have to prescripe anti-biotics.

It twas a strange flight mind! I was sat next to this rather stinky english fella that had half a bottle of Hai Karate aftershave on, my nose was burning from the smell, so I had really bad sinus too for a couple of days.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

bit of a mixture, some fluid had built up in her ears from the flight over, and some fluid on her chest from the sinus, when we got to the hospital she had a really high fever and looked out of it! after 5ml of pedriatric paracetamol (sp) and 5ml of ibuprofen, she was running around in the afternoon like nothing was ever wrong! kids I tell ya. The docotor didn't even have to prescripe anti-biotics.

It twas a strange flight mind! I was sat next to this rather stinky english fella that had half a bottle of Hai Karate aftershave on, my nose was burning from the smell, so I had really bad sinus too for a couple of days.
We have a three year old as well. Can't say she's ever been sick much, except one time when we flew over to the States and she came down with an ear infection, etc....sounded like what your daughter had. Anyway, luckily we had travel insurance, because she was seen at the urgent care and given antibiotics, big time antibiotics (initially I didn't want her to have them, but we were just a couple of days from a flight back home to the UK and it was necessary to knock it out sooner, rather than let it take its course) Anyway, I had to pay up front for the prescriptions and then be reimbursed later on, the antibiotics cost $100! And that was just for a small bottle of whatever it was.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:36 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We have a three year old as well. Can't say she's ever been sick much, except one time when we flew over to the States and she came down with an ear infection, etc....sounded like what your daughter had. Anyway, luckily we had travel insurance, because she was seen at the urgent care and given antibiotics, big time antibiotics (initially I didn't want her to have them, but we were just a couple of days from a flight back home to the UK and it was necessary to knock it out sooner, rather than let it take its course) Anyway, I had to pay up front for the prescriptions and then be reimbursed later on, the antibiotics cost $100! And that was just for a small bottle of whatever it was.
which begs the next questions....Is the U.S a bit "antibiotics happy".
I have more bottles of the stuff than Walgreens in my medical cabinet!
I even have half a bottle of vicodin left, strong stuff makes me go all funny like. anybody want some $5 a tab
Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
just to pop in a question here. I will be returning to UK next August. Ive been away since I was a child so of course Ive never used the NHS. I will be going with American husband and my children who are dual. Will we be eligible for coverage?
BTW, great thread.

Yes of course you and your family will be eligible for free NHS coverage! All legal residents are entitled to NHS care.

Take a look at http://www.nhs.uk

If you look on the right hand side of the home page, you will see a section on how to obtain an NHS number (from a Primary Care Trust, formerly called the Family Practitioner's Committee) in the area where you will be living and how to register with a doctor.

Actually you may find it useful to go to amazon.com or borders.com and buy a book called 'Living and Working in Britain' by David Hampshire. It's aimed at expats who go to live in the UK but as you have been away for so long I'm sure you will find lots of very useful info! I have his book for the US which was helpful to us when we relocated to the States.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
N

As already mentioned by another poster, "NHS tourism" is costing a fortune.
£200M a year, read a similar story, but that really isn't a big blimp in the budget, certainly enough to be very rude and annoying though...
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by callë
just to pop in a question here. I will be returning to UK next August. Ive been away since I was a child so of course Ive never used the NHS. I will be going with American husband and my children who are dual. Will we be eligible for health coverage?
BTW, great thread.
Probably will be, though technically I think you have to be a resident for six months before it's free, but as most people have been saying, they don't ask about insurance or anything like that, generally
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Yes of course you and your family will be eligible for free NHS coverage! All legal residents are entitled to NHS care.
Thought the government were changing that, what with all the retired folks heading off to warmer climes, and then heading back to blighty for treatments...or that get shelved?
Old Sep 21st 2004, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

which begs the next questions....Is the U.S a bit "antibiotics happy".
I have more bottles of the stuff than Walgreens in my medical cabinet!
I even have half a bottle of vicodin left, strong stuff makes me go all funny like. anybody want some $5 a tab

Yep I think the US is anti-biotic happy, medication happy in general. It's only in the last couple of years that there have been reports here in the US that maybe children shouldn't have so many antibiotics ...about 25 years after the UK cottoned on to that one. Two of my children were in their teens before they had their first antibiotics (that was when we moved to the US)- when they were babies (over 20 years ago), UK doctors wouldn't prescribe antibiotics for kids unless it was essential.
My son and daughter-in-law have had words about giving their son antibiotics- he knows the dangers from UK, she doesn't see anything wrong with it.. "if the doctor prescribes them, then he should take them" mentality.
Its not just antibitotics though-its all drugs,there's far too many kids on prescription drugs here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.