Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Visa Revalidation Question!

US Visa Revalidation Question!

Old Dec 11th 2001, 2:01 pm
Anita

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I have just got our H-1B/H-4 extended. He's Canadian, so he doesn't need a visa stamp. I, on the other hand, will need a visa stamp. We're going to send my passport to the US State Department to validate my visa. The requirements on the State Dept. Web site include "certified copies of the principle alien's valid I-797 and valid I-94". What exactly are "certified copies"? Are they just "notarized" copies by any notary public? My husband's employer has kept the original I-797 (as the INS said on the form that they should do), and my husband needs his original I-94 because he's travelling overseas on business in January. So we cannot really send the original of either! Also, has anyone done this recently? How long approximately does it take nowadays? Your help is much appreciated.

Anita