Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US visa Overstay

US visa Overstay

Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Raljix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US visa Overstay

I overstayed the VWP by 13 months 2 years ago. One would imagine I am serving my time on the 10 year ban from re-entry. My question is this, Is there any process of petition in place to have this ban overturned? How does one know if they are actually banned? Does one receive a formal ban notice or am I just flagged if I attempted to re-enter? Does anyone actually know the hard facts?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:48 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US visa Overstay

Originally Posted by Raljix
I overstayed the VWP by 13 months 2 years ago. One would imagine I am serving my time on the 10 year ban from re-entry. My question is this, Is there any process of petition in place to have this ban overturned? How does one know if they are actually banned? Does one receive a formal ban notice or am I just flagged if I attempted to re-enter? Does anyone actually know the hard facts?

Thanks in advance
You're flagged when you attempt to return. You'll need to get a US visa application submitted for a B1/B2.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

If I applied for the B1/B2 I am guessing the chances of approval are slim to non? What about appeal to the ban though? Is there something in place to have it overturned?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Bans are rarely overturned, even if you're married to a USC who is resident in the US and you have children. Is there anything exceptional about your circumstances that make you think a ban might be overturned?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I overstayed the VWP by 13 months 2 years ago. One would imagine I am serving my time on the 10 year ban from re-entry. My question is this, Is there any process of petition in place to have this ban overturned?
Maybe. Some visas allow a hardship waiver to be filed, some don't. What visa will you be applying for?

How does one know if they are actually banned?
One either does research (as it seems you've done), or they consult with an immigration attorney, or they show up at the US POE and are informed of such.

Does one receive a formal ban notice or am I just flagged if I attempted to re-enter?
No formal notice is given at the time the ban starts, no. You should be notified as you attempt to re-enter, and that is when the US POE agent will make a note in your passport.

Does anyone actually know the hard facts?
Have a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney. He should know the hard facts.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:55 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

If I applied for the B1/B2 I am guessing the chances of approval are slim to non? What about appeal to the ban though? Is there something in place to have it overturned?
You won't know unless you apply. The main reason I can think of a denial is that your overstay is so recent. I would suggest working on evidencing ties to your home country between now and applying for the visa.

What would be your reason for appealing such a ban?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Bans are rarely overturned, even if you're married to a USC who is resident in the US and you have children. Is there anything exceptional about your circumstances that make you think a ban might be overturned?

If the decision maker actually took the time to understand and consider the reasons and points as to why I overstayed then yes absolutely. I do however believe any application would just be "rubber stamped" as denied. I don't know, I am here to put the feelers out to better understand what processors are involved.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:04 pm
Banned

If the decision maker actually took the time to understand and consider the reasons and points as to why I overstayed then yes absolutely. I do however believe any application would just be "rubber stamped" as denied. I don't know, I am here to put the feelers out to better understand what processors are involved.
Did you file any extension of your visa waiver status due to these reasons you overstayed at the time?
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Did you file any extension of your visa waiver status due to these reasons you overstayed at the time?
No I didn't. I didn't think it was possible to extend the VWP. I did a little reading online and such but drew a blank on what to do or where to go.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:10 pm
Banned

No I didn't. I didn't think it was possible to extend the VWP. I did a little reading online and such but drew a blank on what to do or where to go.
For future reference: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1024
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they care why you overstayed. We might but only because we're nosy.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I don't think they care why you overstayed. We might but only because we're nosy.
Multiple factors contributed to my overstay. One being the fact I got detained on my last entry to the US. Immigration held me for 5 hours and basically interrogated me. Their final comments were implying I wouldn't get entry if I returned to the US again. Not on the VWP anyway....

I had multiple 90 day visits within one year!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Multiple factors contributed to my overstay. One being the fact I got detained on my last entry to the US. Immigration held me for 5 hours and basically interrogated me. Their final comments were implying I wouldn't get entry if I returned to the US again. Not on the VWP anyway....

I don't understand how being detained 5 hours at the POE resulted in a 13-month overstay, though. All that did was delay your entry to the USA by 5 hours.

It's fine to have multiple 90-day entries within 1 year, as long as you didn't over stay any of those visits. If you visit too often, yes, you will get questioned at the POE and possibly turned away. Seems like they let you enter, though, so personally I'm still not sure why you overstayed. It can't be just because they detained you at the POE, that was upon entry and they finally let you in.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I somehow don't think that putting forward an explanation that you overstayed because US immigration wouldn't let you back in the next time without a visa is going to gain you very much sympathy. I suspect in fact they may burst out laughing.

You need a reason along the lines of you were in ICU at deaths door for the majority of the time you overstayed. Even then you don't have much chance.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
I somehow don't think that putting forward an explanation that you overstayed because US immigration wouldn't let you back in the next time without a visa is going to gain you very much sympathy. I suspect in fact they may burst out laughing.

You need a reason along the lines of you were in ICU at deaths door for the majority of the time you overstayed. Even then you don't have much chance.
Well as I said, I had multiple reasons at the time. I merely highlighted one factor that contributed to the decision to overstay. Its no problem really. As I stated, I was just curious as to any process to have the ban lifted. If it isn't possible then that's ok too...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.