Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

US Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question US Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

I've just read this Associated Press release in today's breaking news section of 'The Guardian':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlates...=ticker-103704

I'm astonished at the numbers of Mexicans whom have managed to cross the border.... :scared:

Does George Bush honestly think that his 'guest worker' scheme which he is proposing is actually going to work? Once these guest workers are in the US I doubt very much that they will return to Central and South America at the end of their visa period....

I should imagine that the situation must be very difficult in (southern) California where pupil numbers in schools are escalating due to the large influx of Latinos, plus extra help needed to teach English as a second language?
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future
Default Re: US Undocumented Immigrant Numbers Surge

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Does George Bush honestly think that his 'guest worker' scheme which he is proposing is actually going to work?
No, but I'm sure he does think this might get the Republicans a few more votes from the Hispanic population at the Mid term elections....
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:44 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read this Associated Press release in today's breaking news section of 'The Guardian':

I'm astonished at the numbers of Mexicans whom have managed to cross the border.... :scared:

Does George Bush honestly think that his 'guest worker' scheme which he is proposing is actually going to work? Once these guest workers are in the US I doubt very much that they will return to Central and South America at the end of their visa period....

I should imagine that the situation must be very difficult in (southern) California where pupil numbers in schools are escalating due to the large influx of Latinos, plus extra help needed to teach English as a second language?

As long as it remains impossible for so many people to escape grinding poverty within the borders of Mexico, they will come. Mexico has its own illegal immigrants from Guatemala and points south, where the situation is even worse for some. They come because people here are willing, very willing, to hire them. Many come because they are unable to feed and house their families where they are. I would do it in a flash if it were to provide some sort of semi-decent life for my son.

Could I just say that Mexico is, in fact, in North America, not Central America. Not that it's relevant to the migration question.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:37 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

"The nation's undocumented immigrant population surged to 10.3 million last year"
Considering the hoops you have to jump through to get documentation, I'm not bloody surprised.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:06 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

All the gardeners at the business park where I work are South American looking. I always wonder are they just really good gardeners down there or are they all illegal? There's an FBI office in the park also so I'm assuming they wouldn't tempt fate..........
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Howard will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
All the gardeners at the business park where I work are South American looking. I always wonder are they just really good gardeners down there or are they all illegal? There's an FBI office in the park also so I'm assuming they wouldn't tempt fate..........
Except that illegal immigration is not a red button issue for the FBI.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
All the gardeners at the business park where I work are South American looking. .
Sounds unlikely. They are probably Mexican and hence North American. Very few, if any, of the migrants from Chile or Argentina or Columbia are in the gardening business.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
...Very few, if any, of the migrants from Chile or Argentina or Columbia are in the gardening business.
depends what kind of gardening it is though don't it
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Look, if the government really cared, they start by rounding up the 50 plus people who stand outside our local Home Depot awaiting day work each and every day. Costs too much to ship them back, but the burden on states like mine is running into the billions. But when our governor asked the government for the money they were rightly owed, they turned her down.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:24 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UJ_99
No, but I'm sure he does think this might get the Republicans a few more votes from the Hispanic population at the Mid term elections....
Surprisingly, I find that hispanic USCs are as often as not against further amnesties or increasing immigration, temporary or otherwise.

The Republicans chose to allow the status quo of not enforcing the law with respect to illegal immigration not for the hispanic vote but for the greenbacks from their paymasters - the corporations - who want to continue to use a cheap workforce who are less likely to demand their rights than USCs.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:18 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

NM senate just passed a bill to prevent local and state police from enforcing federal immigration laws. Now there's some smart thinking for you!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
NM senate just passed a bill to prevent local and state police from enforcing federal immigration laws. Now there's some smart thinking for you!
So who will do the enforcing? There are so many law enforcement agencies here I don't know which one does what .

I'm quite cynical about all this, cheap labour equals cheap products, this keeps the US exporting goods to help close the import/export deficit.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

For what its worth, we just came back from holidaying in Mexico, Norte Americano was certainly used there as referring to USC's and Canadians.

It is an intering dichotomy, most of the states mentioned were previously Mexican, there was a new book I would like to read but my Spanish is not good enough, Mexico Multado, I sought of translated it as Mexico Mutilated, all about the loss of 2m sq km to USA, the history, impacts etc.

The population of Mexico is surprisingly static, about 1% increase a year, due to migration.

I have always asumed that if this was perceived to be a serious issue by the US authorities, they would have done something about it, my presumption is for a whole series of social, economic and historical reasons it is accepted.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have always asumed that if this was perceived to be a serious issue by the US authorities, they would have done something about it, my presumption is for a whole series of social, economic and historical reasons it is accepted.
A lot of the migration is only seasonal...there's loads that get bused up to maine to pick blueberrys by hand...don't know why they don't use hoppers, but anyway, and lots of people to come pick spuds and mac apples....hell, loads of canadians come down too for the season...about the only time there's an ethnic mix in this state to be honest *lol*