Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US & UK Town/City Equivalents?

US & UK Town/City Equivalents?

Old Feb 21st 2007, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

carlt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US & UK Town/City Equivalents?

I'm considering a move from London to New York. Doesn't scare me as much as it probably should as the two cities aren't all that different. Fast-moving, expensive, anti-social, bad tempered...

I lived in Winchester for a number of years and really loved that. What would be the closest US equivalent, i.e. Sleepy, Picturesque, semi-rural, affluent, nice architecture etc?

I visited Niagra (Canada I know) and remember likening it to a British Northern seaside town!

Has anyone else ever been prompted to reminisce about somewhere in the UK by visiting somewhere in the US, and why?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 6:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US & UK Town/City Equivalents?

Hard to answer, because you'll find things spread all over, Seattle and Washington might be good....some parts of Mass, and parts of Maine are quite reminiscent of UK cities to varying degrees.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:19 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlt
Has anyone else ever been prompted to reminisce about somewhere in the UK by visiting somewhere in the US, and why?
Errr... frankly, no. If you're looking for an equivalent, you'll be sorely disappointed. Best start looking for somewhere you'd like on its own merits.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

over the yrs i've visited many states and haven't seen anywhere that reminds me of the uk but then i don't come here looking for the uk...
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:46 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

If you take "reminisce" to mean "remember fondly" I bet some of you have been places in the U.S. that cause you to do just that!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

I'm considering a move from London to New York. Doesn't scare me as much as it probably should as the two cities aren't all that different. Fast-moving, expensive, anti-social, bad tempered...

I lived in Winchester for a number of years and really loved that. What would be the closest US equivalent, i.e. Sleepy, Picturesque, semi-rural, affluent, nice architecture etc?

I visited Niagra (Canada I know) and remember likening it to a British Northern seaside town!

I have reminisced about Uk towns here in the South (Carolinas) there are some quaint sleepy towns with sidewalks, shops selling nick knacks etc.... cafes and delis. Charleston I feel is the closest I have found to a UK type town, given it's architecture and layout, shops and with a real town centre.
Problem is just that. Quaint. Some places may be pretty but not always real working towns, more like tourist attractions.
I lived in Southsea and Chichester and am very familiar with Winchester, as True Brit and others have said, try not to come here expecting to compare or find the same thing as back home, enjoy the new experiences that come with the adventure, good and bad.
If you put tons of energy into trying to recreate a UK life you will miss out on the time spent. I think it also makes the transition harder because you spend too much time wishing a place was more like home when it will never be that, its just a fact.
New York is an experience unto itself...........and certainly an interesting first place to lay your hat Best of luck
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought NY and London were very different, NY being slower, maybe the time of year.

Some places are easier to accept, both ways, but nothing has ever struck me as similar.

They drive on the wrong side of the road you know.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 10:05 am
Just Joined

virginiadare is on a distinguished road

hi,

I have lived in London, New York and Virginia (the english colony) and I can offer a few suggestions.

In New York I lived in the Bronx. Now that sounds scary but its really not. There is a really nice section that is on the main subway line (1 &9) called Riverdale...its basically just an extention of Manhatten but much cheaper. It is urban but there is also a great sense of community and you are right next to Van Cortland Park which is a massive park with lots of greenery-good for walks, golf etc. You are also just a short drive from many sleepy little towns in upstate NY. I really thought we had the best of both worlds there.

As for quaint sleepy englishy types of towns you will find plenty in the suburbs of Washington DC or the state of Virginia. It is hard to find a pedestrian town with good transport links akin to London so if you don't mind relying on your car a little more I would suggest Williamsburg, VA or Charlottesville, VA. Both have a good pedestrian "high Street" with shops and places to eat etc similar to the English feel. You are also quite close to DC if you want to escape to the city. I agree with the South Carolina comment too. It is another good state. the only thing I would say is that after living in London and NY I found it quite hard living in souther Virginia as I felt isolated and could have done with beign a little closer to a big city such as DC, philly or NYC.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

carlt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the interesting replies. Some good advice there.

I'd never emigrate with the hope of recreating where I'd come from but I guess what I was aiming at was to get pointers as to which US towns would be more comfortable for someone from a specific type of English town.

I'm comfortable with the thought of going from London to New York and think that I'd also be less than bored in LA, Chicago, EDIT: (Maybe Not) Houston and Philadelphia.

If and when I tire of New York and want to put down roots I'll need somewhere semi-rural with a 100K or so population. I guess I'll have plenty of time to find that place.

Last edited by carlt; Feb 22nd 2007 at 2:10 pm. Reason: Esteemed Advice
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 1:59 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Houston
Ask Trubrit about Houston!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Ask Trubrit about Houston!
there aren't enough hrs in the day to answer that
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:14 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the interesting replies. Some good advice there.

I'd never emigrate with the hope of recreating where I'd come from but I guess what I was aiming at was to get pointers as to which US towns would be more comfortable for someone from a specific type of English town.

I'm comfortable with the thought of going from London to New York and think that I'd also be less than bored in LA, Chicago, EDIT: (Maybe Not) Houston and Philadelphia.

If and when I tire of New York and want to put down roots I'll need somewhere semi-rural with a 100K or so population. I guess I'll have plenty of time to find that place.
You are thinking too far ahead
Just move to New York, enjoy it and use your massive (specially negotiated) vacation allowance to see this country. You will find plenty of places that will give you what you want re. settling down.
Semi rural here can be quite different to semi rural in the UK.
After a few years of living here, assuming you like it enough to stay, you may find that what you want from the US is different to what you think you will want now. (Garbled and enigmatic enough?)
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hard to answer, because you'll find things spread all over, Seattle and Washington might be good....some parts of Mass, and parts of Maine are quite reminiscent of UK cities to varying degrees.
I'd agree with this; somewhere like Annapolis might work, or as Bob says New England might be a good bet; I thought Portsmouth in New Hampshire was very reminiscent of a UK market town.

Also heard Savannah, GA is very nice too, in a cobble streets kind of way; not been yet but plan to. Milder weather as well than further up North.

Last edited by Dan725; Feb 22nd 2007 at 7:34 pm.