Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US/UK Photo requirements

US/UK Photo requirements

Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

JustAnotherBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US/UK Photo requirements

I have my interview at the American Embassy in London coming up and on the website it states that I must have one, 2 inch (50mm) square photograph.

I just wondered if this is the standard size of the photos when you go to one of the photo booths in the supermarkets etc?

If not, can anyone recommend or suggest places where this can be done?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 12:36 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US/UK Photo requirements

1) I think I passed a couple of chemists/photo shops on my way to the embassy that carried "US size passport photos". Do the new digital Photo-Me booths allow you to choose sizes?

2) whoever processed my app didn't care that my photos were normal Euro-sized ones, in any case - although that's no guarantee for you.

Edit: if you read this thread from 2004/5, there's details of a photo shop around the corner that looks like it's set up for it: http://forum.diveintoamerica.com/arc....php?t-18.html

Last edited by lapin_windstar; Nov 7th 2007 at 12:38 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

JustAnotherBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
1) I think I passed a couple of chemists/photo shops on my way to the embassy that carried "US size passport photos". Do the new digital Photo-Me booths allow you to choose sizes?

2) whoever processed my app didn't care that my photos were normal Euro-sized ones, in any case - although that's no guarantee for you.

Edit: if you read this thread from 2004/5, there's details of a photo shop around the corner that looks like it's set up for it: http://forum.diveintoamerica.com/arc....php?t-18.html
Thank you for that information Lapin. I've just had the standard Euro-sized photos taken but I will call into the shop mentioned and get the U.S. size passport photos also.

Better safe than sorry.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

kirby is just really nicekirby is just really nicekirby is just really nicekirby is just really nicekirby is just really nicekirby is just really nicekirby is just really nicekirby is just really nicekirby is just really nice

Originally Posted by JustAnotherBrit
Thank you for that information Lapin. I've just had the standard Euro-sized photos taken but I will call into the shop mentioned and get the U.S. size passport photos also.

Better safe than sorry.
Max speilman shops do the u.s size.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

there is a snappy snaps at marble arch near the embassy - they did it. we didnt want to risk 'standard' photos as the embassy are very specific and i have heard horror stories about being refused!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I managed to do my 2" x 2" US photos myself with a digital camera, a white sheet and the boots the chemist.

The self developing booths at boots have a layout size that makes the bottom edge of a photo 2" long. I think its the one where there is 6 to a page. All you have to do it cut the height to 2".

HTH
Darren
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

When I went for my visa interview October 2006 there was a photo booth in the visa waiting area inside Embassy
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JustAnotherBrit
I have my interview at the American Embassy in London coming up and on the website it states that I must have one, 2 inch (50mm) square photograph.

I just wondered if this is the standard size of the photos when you go to one of the photo booths in the supermarkets etc?

If not, can anyone recommend or suggest places where this can be done?
Check the photographer section of your local yellow pages. That’s what I did and there was an advert for a local studio that did “US consulate approved passport photos.” It cost me less than a tenner for 6. And this was in the North East of Scotland too; about as far away from the embassy as you can get, so there should be plenty of other places dotted around the country.

Last edited by lofty79; Nov 7th 2007 at 8:31 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

stefanyoungs is an unknown quantity at this point

The US is maniacal about all sorts of irrelevant details.. for example they believe the ear is as distinct as the fingerprint and therefore insist on photos being taken, not face on, but slightly to the side with the ear expoosed. It's laughable really, but this is the country that has absorbed all the Al Qaida nonsense deposited by the White House, the Orange Alerts at airports when absolutely nothing is going on.. so, for them the ear is a BIG DEAL.

"Did you see that shifty looking guy with a beard, a gun sticking out of his waistband and carrying that bulging bag with a clock attached?"

"I thought he looked suspicious.. did your notice his EAR?"

American bureaucrats are also invariably utterly inflexible about sticking to the rules, so come in with a photo that isn't to spec even by the tiniest amount, and you're out the door.

My advice to you is seek a photographer approved by the American Embassy, cough up his/her (you have to be politically correct at all times here) exorbitant fee and write off the rip off as part of your Great American Experience
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stefanyoungs
The US is maniacal about all sorts of irrelevant details.. for example they believe the ear is as distinct as the fingerprint and therefore insist on photos being taken, not face on, but slightly to the side with the ear expoosed. It's laughable really, but this is the country that has absorbed all the Al Qaida nonsense deposited by the White House, the Orange Alerts at airports when absolutely nothing is going on.. so, for them the ear is a BIG DEAL.

"Did you see that shifty looking guy with a beard, a gun sticking out of his waistband and carrying that bulging bag with a clock attached?"

"I thought he looked suspicious.. did your notice his EAR?"

American bureaucrats are also invariably utterly inflexible about sticking to the rules, so come in with a photo that isn't to spec even by the tiniest amount, and you're out the door.

My advice to you is seek a photographer approved by the American Embassy, cough up his/her (you have to be politically correct at all times here) exorbitant fee and write off the rip off as part of your Great American Experience
Here's the official photo snaps - Snappy Snaps was the one recommended to us.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk:80/cons_...niv/photo.html
Old Nov 7th 2007, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tracym
Here's the official photo snaps - Snappy Snaps was the one recommended to us.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk:80/cons_...niv/photo.html
That's screamingly funny.. they have spent at least $80 BILLION on 'terrorist protection' yet they cannot even agree among the various departments about what an acceptable photo is. The US embassy specifies 'full face' yet the Immigration Service will definitley NOT approve full face for a Green Card.. you have to be looking to the side a bit and your ear MUST be exposed. I tell you, they're nuts about some things!
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

That's screamingly funny.. they have spent at least $80 BILLION on 'terrorist protection' yet they cannot even agree among the various departments about what an acceptable photo is. The US embassy specifies 'full face' yet the Immigration Service will definitley NOT approve full face for a Green Card.. you have to be looking to the side a bit and your ear MUST be exposed. I tell you, they're nuts about some things!
The photos for the embassy used to be slightly to the side. They changed it to full face.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:16 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
The photos for the embassy used to be slightly to the side. They changed it to full face.

Thats what I thought it was. I know our apps were submitted with full face piccys
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:27 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

yet the Immigration Service will definitley NOT approve full face for a Green Card.. you have to be looking to the side a bit and your ear MUST be exposed. I tell you, they're nuts about some things!
Care to explain then how the photograph on my GC is full face
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
Care to explain then how the photograph on my GC is full face
OBVIOUSLY FAKE!!! Watch out! They're snooping on you right now.

Now mine, in stark contrast IS legal.. it's slightly looking to the right and my all important ear is prominent. I am grateful for this, as it distracts one from noticing my large nose.

I rmember turning up for my Green card interview with all my 2 hundredweight of paper (still not metric over here...) and my photos taken in a photo booth... I was sent dismally off to an 'approved' photographer who removed $20 from my wallet ("NO cash, so sorry") and delivered a set of legal photios.

I'm not at all surprised you've got a full face GC.. it only goes to show theyrare even more confused than first I thought.. not only do different departments have different rules, but even the same department has different rules depending on where you're located. I guess $80 billion wan't enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.