Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US/UK Dual + UK Passport Renewal ??

US/UK Dual + UK Passport Renewal ??

Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US/UK Dual + UK Passport Renewal ??

Originally Posted by British Consul
He'll have up to 10 years to renew following expiration of his current passport. The UK Passport Service is changing from April this year (the service operated by the Foreign Office will be merged into UK based operations run by the Identity and Passport Service). You'll start to see some changes in terms of passport procedures in the coming months which may also result in a price change (i.e. similar to that in the UK but with an international postal fee added on top (as all passports will be produced in the UK).

Hope this helps.

Dean
It does; thank you!
Himself was *very* impressed that you answered (his) my question.

I've bookmarked the thread and put it all in my calendar for next winter to deal with. Will keep an eye on the pp production change.. I'm sure that will please a lot of people!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
At the moment, if it's been 10 years since it expired, he'll have to apply as a first time passport holder, which is a pain in the nuts...so basically he's got 10 years.

I recently got mine renewed and apparently it had expired about 3 years or so ago...but I'm a cheap sake and sent it to my mother to do from the UK.

So yeah, no real need to renew unless there are plans to move to the UK/EU or holiday in a country that the US requires a visa for but the UK doesn't and possibly to be used as proof on getting kids passports, don't know if they'll accept old ones or not for that purpose.
A friend of mine got her mum to renew the passport in UK, but isn't that not quite legal? I don't mean illegal like you can be arrested or something, just not the way they want you to go about it? I tried applying from Uk when I was visiting for a month, but first thing it says on the form is you must apply from the country you are living in.
I was terrified of being without my passport in the US and not able to go home if needed.
By the way I paid a lot of money to a company to speed the process up and it was a total waste of money.
I'm sure I'm not allowed to name and shame on here - but I certainly will pass this info on in a private message if someone is thinking of using a similar operation.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keaki80
I was visiting for a month, but first thing it says on the form is you must apply from the country you are living in.
Many people renew when they return to the UK... even for less time than a month. You had the opportunity... you should have gone with it.

By the way I paid a lot of money to a company to speed the process up and it was a total waste of money.
I'm surprised you'd think that anyone other than the UK Government could speed up the process for you! Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jan 11th 2011 at 7:07 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 2:38 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Most obvious reason to keep the UK passport is that it makes traveling to EU easier, no lines and no paperwork. However, sometimes I get stopped by US immigration and asked why I have no entry stamps in my US passport. When I tell them I used my UK passport to enter the UK I'm sure I see them frown just a bit.

One reason not to renew your UK passport is if you might be applying for a US security clearance. If you do, after taking US citizenship, it might be seen as you having a "foreign preference". Renewing and using the passport won't necessarily stop you from getting a clearance, but it will complicate matters. You'll definitely be asked to hand your passport over to the US security office where you work (not sure if this is actually what should be done as far as the UK is concerned, but it's required by many US labs and Government contractors) or asked to return your passport to the UK embassy.

If I move back to the UK I wonder if it's ok to let the US passport expire? Somehow I bet the US requires it's citizens abroad to have a current US passport.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
If I move back to the UK I wonder if it's ok to let the US passport expire? Somehow I bet the US requires it's citizens abroad to have a current US passport.
An expired US passport can't be used as a travel document but it's still proof of your status as a US citizen. I don't think there's a requirement that USCs outside the US maintain a valid US passport. Mind you, it's probably a good idea... but I don't think it's mandatory.

Ian