Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Us/UK dual citizenship for child?

Us/UK dual citizenship for child?

Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Chessall2e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Us/UK dual citizenship for child?

Hi! I'm so lost on this topic and it seems like our situation is a little different. I'm American and my husband has US/UK dual citizenship. He was born in America to an American mother and British father but moved to England when he was 2 and has lived there his whole life up until a couple years ago when he moved back to California. We are married and have an 8 month old child together born here in America but we are trying to move back to England because my husband also has a daughter in England and he can't stand living so far from her. Would our son be able to get dual citizenship??
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:27 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Us/UK dual citizenship for child?

Originally Posted by Chessall2e
Hi! I'm so lost on this topic and it seems like our situation is a little different. I'm American and my husband has US/UK dual citizenship. He was born in America to an American mother and British father but moved to England when he was 2 and has lived there his whole life up until a couple years ago when he moved back to California. We are married and have an 8 month old child together born here in America but we are trying to move back to England because my husband also has a daughter in England and he can't stand living so far from her. Would our son be able to get dual citizenship??
As your husband is British by descent he does not automatically pass on British Citizenship to a child born outside of the UK. However I believe you can register the child as a British Citizen. I think this is the page you need to look at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/

Edit: It is not made particularly clear on that page but applications are made using form MN1.

Last edited by BTJ; Aug 16th 2012 at 8:30 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Chessall2e is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Us/UK dual citizenship for child?

Thankyou soo much!! I'm definitely gonna check out that link you posted!!

Originally Posted by BTJ
As your husband is British by descent he does not automatically pass on British Citizenship to a child born outside of the UK. However I believe you can register the child as a British Citizen. I think this is the page you need to look at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...en/bornabroad/

Edit: It is not made particularly clear on that page but applications are made using form MN1.