Reload this Page >

US/UK Dual Citizen question

US/UK Dual Citizen question

Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Gillian1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question US/UK Dual Citizen question

Hello,

I'm not sure this is the correct forum (or even the appropriate message board ) but maybe someone can help.

I was born in the US, my father was American and my mother is British and I have an American passport and a British passport.

Now here's the problem...
Next year I'm moving to Berlin, Germany. I know I don't have to worry about getting a visa/work permit because I am part of the EU BUT they require you to have health insurance. I currently have health insurance through work here in the states but i'm not covered overseas. I tried doing some research and it appears you have to live and have worked for at least a year in the UK to obtain health insurance. Would I have to purchase health insurance in Germany in order to live in Berlin? I'm so confused!!!

Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks!
Gill
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US/UK Dual Citizen question

Originally Posted by Gillian1974
Hello,

I'm not sure this is the correct forum (or even the appropriate message board ) but maybe someone can help.

I was born in the US, my father was American and my mother is British and I have an American passport and a British passport.

Next year I'm moving to Berlin, Germany. I know I don't have to worry about getting a visa/work permit because I am part of the EU BUT they require you to have health insurance. I currently have health insurance through work here in the states but i'm not covered overseas. I tried doing some research and it appears you have to live and have worked for at least a year in the UK to obtain health insurance. Would I have to purchase health insurance in Germany in order to live in Berlin? I'm so confused!!!

Thanks!
Gill
Maybe someone in the Europe forum can help you with your question about Germany. There are some USCs here that have lived in Germany but I think it's mainly with the US military so health insurance wouldn't be an issue.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks!
Gill
Who is requiring you to have health insurance? Germany has universal healthcare which you get through employment. Do a search for Krankenkassen.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

To be covered by the UK NHS you would have to be "ordinarily resident" in the UK, which you are clearly not. It has nothing to do with nationality. I suspect this would also form the basis of any reciprocal benefits you'd be entitled to in Germany on the basis of UK coverage. So you will need to find out whether Germany itself provides coverage based on your residence/employment (I thought it did?) there. Probably the wrong forum to get a good answer on that.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

You will receive full health coverage in Germany through your employment, by law.

No issues.

It has nothing to do with residence in Germany. That is the UK that bases coverage on residency.

Martin
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:24 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

when i lived in germany i remember the tax being quite a high proprtion of my income and was told that was to cover the healthcare etc. i lived there a year and had no issue getting into a doctors.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Gillian1974 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrcusa
You will receive full health coverage in Germany through your employment, by law.
I probably won't be getting a job until I get settled in a bit.

Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I probably won't be getting a job until I get settled in a bit.

Thanks everyone!
Bear in mind that as you are a British citizen "by descent" (presumably - you must have a Certificate of registration as a British citizen, if you were born in 1974), if you have a child born outside the United Kingdom (eg in Germany), the child will not automatically be a British citizen.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 4:02 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks!
Gill
You'll enjoy Berlin, and living in Germany, I loved it.