Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US/UK Divorce help

US/UK Divorce help

Old Jan 27th 2018, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Hlg32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US/UK Divorce help

Hello there! My ex partner and I had a civil partnership in the UK in 2010 and got a marriage certificate in the US in 2013. In 2017 we got a divorce in the US so my question is do we also need to go through with the civil partnership dissolution or does the US divorce handle everything? Thanks for any help anyone can give!
Old Jan 28th 2018, 4:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US/UK Divorce help

I presume you are a same-sex couple? Since same-sex marriage is recognised in both the UK and US now then your US marriage would have 'overridden' your pre-existing UK civil partnership so your US divorce should suffice for both.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Hlg32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US/UK Divorce help

Yes, we were a same sex couple and the UK didn’t recognize same sex marriage at that time. The US didn’t either but once it did we got the certificate over there so we could move back to the States. Good to know that there’s no need to go back to the UK and seek out the dissolution of the civil partnership, thank you for your help.