Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US / UK Citizen Tax while living in the UK

US / UK Citizen Tax while living in the UK

Old Jun 25th 2022, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US / UK Citizen Tax while living in the UK

Without a US issued credit card and a US address, filing a US tax return on line from the UK is nearly impossible. There have been examples of those who fooled the payment system with creative manipulation of the purchasing software on one particular product. There is also one accountancy firm that will supply their version of on line filing, but you are still using that firm to file. Outside of using a tax advisor, downloading the free fillable forms from the IRS site and mailing them to the IRS is the only option. Third party vendors exist on Ebay / Amazon, but you are purchasing normal (TurboTax, TaxAct, etc.) packaged CDs from them, not the software company.

Most expats filing from abroad find issues preventing filing when using the Free File products from the IRS site.
Old Jun 25th 2022, 1:14 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
Without a US issued credit card and a US address, filing a US tax return on line from the UK is nearly impossible. There have been examples of those who fooled the payment system with creative manipulation of the purchasing software on one particular product. There is also one accountancy firm that will supply their version of on line filing, but you are still using that firm to file. Outside of using a tax advisor, downloading the free fillable forms from the IRS site and mailing them to the IRS is the only option. Third party vendors exist on Ebay / Amazon, but you are purchasing normal (TurboTax, TaxAct, etc.) packaged CDs from them, not the software company.

Most expats filing from abroad find issues preventing filing when using the Free File products from the IRS site.
I buy my TurboTax on Amazon US and download it, no CD involved. The only extra payments I have to make are for additional states and the audit protection. The bigger issue for the OP is can he buy 2021 and file multiple previous years or will he have to buy 4 or 5 different versions. My understanding is each year is optimized to the rules in effect at that time… but is the OP’s situation is very simple 1 copy may cover it all.

It is also pretty easy to get debit cards from things like Wise or Revolut for USD these days. The issue will be if it wants a US address / zip code.

and using a search tool like Google with “file us taxes from abroad” yields results that say you can file from abroad for $99…

i clicked the first link and it actually says something interesting… the OP may be eligible for the 2020 and 2021 stimulus checks… so they may actually make money by getting compliant….

Last edited by tht; Jun 25th 2022 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2022, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Spacey_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you have not had a total balance of $10K at any one time during the calendar year, you do not have to file FBAR.
Unfortunately i have hit that from saving up an emergency fund + a deposit, though the FBAR seems a lot easier to file than the 1040.
Old Jun 26th 2022, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht
I have always used TurboTax download version but file online (paid) you may need a higher version to support Foreign income, the more forms it includes the more they jack up the price, I also pay the $60 or so for audit protection, I have to go for the most expensive version because of my own situation, but since you are non resident you won’t need any state returns. I have done the FBAR online since it became available (free), I used to send it FedEx before for proof of delivery.
I have had a look at TurboTax and some of the other online options, but haven't found one that allows you to file for previous years. I currently want to make use of the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures, for that i need around 3 years of returns, but because i can't really do this online i have had to result to trying to do it manually in person, which is why i am a bit confused at how to approach filing the form.
Old Jun 26th 2022, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vespucci
You should be able easily to file online. Many years ago in the UK I phoned the IRS and they told me to fill in paper forms 1040 and 2555-EZ and mail them, which I did, so you could just print out the forms, fill them in, and mail them, but as I said it should be easier to do it online.
How did you mail it to them, what service did you use. I have never tried mailing anything internationally so i am a bit worried about it getting lost / never reaching

Did they give you confirmation that they received your forms ?
Old Jun 26th 2022, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

I need to file previous returns so i can't use the free filing services online, I guess the silver lining is my current situation should be easy to file as i only have one source of income and no investments, but i can't really find any good instructions for doing the form outside of the US. So i was wondering if anyone here had any experience with doing it manually from the UK.
Old Jun 26th 2022, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht

i clicked the first link and it actually says something interesting… the OP may be eligible for the 2020 and 2021 stimulus checks… so they may actually make money by getting compliant….
I read this too, but i would need to sign up to a wise account otherwise it's like the lottery trying to get the stimulus checks mailed, i have heard some people getting the first but not getting the second etc etc.

Though one thing that i can't do using the online tax tools is file previous years, so i am stuck having to try and do it by hand.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I buy my TurboTax on Amazon US and download it, no CD involved. . The bigger issue for the OP is can he buy 2021 and file multiple previous years or will he have to buy 4 or 5 different versions. My understanding is each year is optimized to the rules in effect at that time… but is the OP’s situation is very simple .
You can do that because, unlike the OP - you're actually in the US
The "bigger issue" for him is that Turbo Tax software is not available for download on Amazon unless one is either in the States or in Canada.
And it's not available on Amazon's UK website either.

on another note....I can't help but wonder what prompted the OP's bank to question his citizenship or demand a social security number
Old Jun 27th 2022, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacey_
How did you mail it to them, what service did you use. I have never tried mailing anything internationally so i am a bit worried about it getting lost / never reaching

Did they give you confirmation that they received your forms ?
I sent it by ordinary post. I didn't receive confirmation. (but I know they received it). You may want proof of delivery, in which case you might look on the IRS site to see what they say.

Your return will be simple and you don't have to pay any taxes, and if it weren't for the fact that you may be due stimulus payments I'd say (if you want to do it on paper) just fill them in and don't worry too much about getting it exactly right- it'll become easier as you become more familiar with it in future years- but as you may be due stimulus payments I suggest you contact a tax service (there are some in London) and get their help to make sure you file correctly and get your payments. As you return will be simple-a few minutes' work for them- they shouldn't really charge too much.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
The "bigger issue" for him is that Turbo Tax software is not available for download on Amazon unless one is either in the States or in Canada.

on another note....I can't help but wonder what prompted the OP's bank to question his citizenship or demand a social security number
I am able to download TurboTax each year from Amazon only because I maintain a US credit card with my daughter’s LA address associated with it so that is a big hurdle, and one I’ll face next year as our daughter told us last night that she plans to move to England in a few months time.

I think all banks ask all customers about US citizenship these days when you do something as simple as an address change. Once you admit to being a USC then they require you to complete a W9 so they can verify your SSN as they will be reporting info on you because of FACTA. This was what happened with us when we changed our address with the bank we had been customers of for over 30 years.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

The OP needs the following forms, at a minimum:
schedule B (importantly, including Part III since you have a foreign {UK} bank account)
either 2555 or 1116
if 2555, schedule 1
if 1116, schedule 3 and 1116Schedule B

Also, Publication 54 for each year for guidance.

For the beginner, using form 2555 may be preferable since it's much easier.

All forms for past years may be found by using google. Type in "2019 form 1040", or "2019 form 2555" for example, and click on the PDF offering from the IRS site. You may also download the instructions for that year.

Please remember:
There is no hurry to do your forms. Currently, the IRS doesn't know you exist. Your bank will not be forwarding any information until this autumn, and even then, the IRS will have no idea if you owe them a return or not (you could have no income). The bank will keep the W9 you completed for their records only to cover their backsides. They will not forward the W9 to the IRS. If they do notify the IRS of your account, and technically if the account(s) are under $50,000 they are not required to do so, you still have plenty of time to research your situation. It is assumed all banks forward all accounts, even if the account has only £5 in it (again, to cover their backsides).

Take the time to carefully consider what you must file, how you will file it, and research all the special circumstances involved with being a USC living abroad (such as pensions, phantom gains, and on and on). You may decide to use a UK located tax advisor who specializes in US returns, but contrary to what is advertised by some, the cost will likely be expensive (subjective), especially for the 4 years required (2021, plus '18, '19, and '20).

I mail my forms using FedEx through mailboxes etc. in my town. The cost this year was ~£45, but you do have confirmation of delivery. You may also use Royal Mail tracked, but a warning - it will take weeks to arrive in Austin, Texas (where you will be sending the form).

There are almost no examples of how to complete a return since each and every return is different according to the filers situation, but this may help:
US Taxes Abroad for Dummies (update for tax year 2021) | Rockville, MD | (americansabroad.org)

Old Jun 27th 2022, 1:09 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t simulate the OP’s Amazon account if they have one, but I regularly buy things from Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk and have also used Amazon.ca when buying gifts, all with a US payment card, you can switch between stores easily, so would think the option to do the reverse may work.

There is lots of information sharing theses days, but I don’t think they would send out lists of all USC names and D.O.B. To foreign banks. know they do that for very limited/targeted purposes in FinCEN 314a but not sure if that’s US institutions only. My guess is either it was a standard annual attention sent by the bank and the OP was honest or they have some sort of program that sees if you have used your card in the US and maybe the OP visited.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I am able to download TurboTax each year from Amazon only because I maintain a US credit card with my daughter’s LA address associated with it so that is a big hurdle, and one I’ll face next year as our daughter told us last night that she plans to move to England in a few months time..
Unfortunately, you will.be up the creek....see my reply to "tht' below....

The OP needs the following forms, at a minimum:
Great advice... detailed, careful, and clear. You should publish your own version of Tax Prep for Dummies and even for Smarties

Originally Posted by tht
I can’t simulate the OP’s Amazon account if they have one, but I regularly buy things from Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk and have also used Amazon.ca when buying gifts, all with a US payment card, you can switch between stores easily, so would think the option to do the reverse may work..
First of all, see this:
https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Desk.../dp/B08HSMW1PV

And then see this in the product description:

*** "Note: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States":***

When I saw the disclaimer I called Amazon Cust. Service ( specifically their software downloads unit) and asked how someone in the UK would be able to purchase/download Turbo Tax.
Was told they could not.!
Intuit (Turbo Tax parent company) sets the rules for Amazon's distribution of their software....

The Cust Serv rep followed up with this emal .....

Message From Customer Service

Hello ,
I was glad to assist you today with your TurboTax Software inquiry.
As we discussed, the developer of the software (Intuit), created the software that only persons within the United State of America and Canada will be able to use. With that being the case no one in the UK will be able to use it..

Best regards,
Chemoi V
Amazon.com

This is really unfortunate because, contrary to what OP thinks - Turbo Tax for prior years is sold on Amazon, and, can be e-filed as well for prior years.

Old Jun 27th 2022, 5:59 pm
tht

Unfortunately, you will.be up the creek....see my reply to "tht' below....

Great advice... detailed, careful, and clear. You should publish your own version of Tax Prep for Dummies and even for Smarties

First of all, see this:
https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Desk.../dp/B08HSMW1PV

And then see this in the product description:

*** "Note: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States":***

When I saw the disclaimer I called Amazon Cust. Service ( specifically their software downloads unit) and asked how someone in the UK would be able to purchase/download Turbo Tax.
Was told they could not.!
Intuit (Turbo Tax parent company) sets the rules for Amazon's distribution of their software....

The Cust Serv rep followed up with this emal .....

Message From Customer Service

Hello ,
I was glad to assist you today with your TurboTax Software inquiry.
As we discussed, the developer of the software (Intuit), created the software that only persons within the United State of America and Canada will be able to use. With that being the case no one in the UK will be able to use it..

Best regards,
Chemoi V
Amazon.com

This is really unfortunate because, contrary to what OP thinks - Turbo Tax for prior years is sold on Amazon, and, can be e-filed as well for prior years.

I wonder why they would restrict it… it can only be used for US tax prep and filling…. As complex as the tax code is it’s not like your can repurpose TurboTax for missile guidance or centrifuge control…. My guess is there would be ways to get it. A US friend or relative could buy it and share the code or put the download on a shared drive etc. maybe a VPN would work… I always buy the download version not the online one and am pretty sure I have been able to work on it while physically abroad (without a VPN).
Old Jun 27th 2022, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Jsho is an unknown quantity at this point

There are options to file for free from the IRS website.

Its not tricky just follow the step by step instructions. I used taxact e-file, and can confirm it will (if eligible) grant you the 1400 stimulus.

And can easily be done from the UK.

I believe you will need a SS number, without that i dont think you technically exist in the US tax system...

Last edited by Jsho; Jun 27th 2022 at 6:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.