Reload this Page >

US - UK Banking

US - UK Banking

Old Oct 3rd 2013, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

usuk2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US - UK Banking

Hello all!

I've lurked on this forum several times in the past 10 years or so, but have never registered!

I'm a USC (dual now, actually) and DH is UKC. We're moving back to the US next month after 10 years in London and getting ourselves organized.

Can anyone recommend their banking solution, please? We have a property in the UK and need to maintain accounts here as well as set up new ones in the US. I'm wondering if it's best just to stick with what we have (Natwest in UK and Chase in US) or to go for an international account with someone like HSBC.

Any thoughts? Many thanks! Looking forward to chatting with you!
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 1:15 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US - UK Banking

Originally Posted by usuk2004
Hello all!

I've lurked on this forum several times in the past 10 years or so, but have never registered!

I'm a USC (dual now, actually) and DH is UKC. We're moving back to the US next month after 10 years in London and getting ourselves organized.

Can anyone recommend their banking solution, please? We have a property in the UK and need to maintain accounts here as well as set up new ones in the US. I'm wondering if it's best just to stick with what we have (Natwest in UK and Chase in US) or to go for an international account with someone like HSBC.
Don't bother with the 'international' bank accounts. I use CurrencyFair to transfer money over at very competitive rates. I suggest you look into that as they offer an excellent service. What I would say though, is to open an account that doesn't charge you to receive incoming wire transfers (all the major ones bar Capital One) do. I opened an account at my local credit union to avoid the $15 Bank of America wire fee for instance.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 2:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by usuk2004
Hello all!

Any thoughts? Many thanks! Looking forward to chatting with you!
Unless you're living in New York, HSBC is worse than useless. Even in New York, there are probably better solutions, if you're already with Chase you might want to stick with them. Otherwise Wells Fargo has been getting recommendations from several BEers recently.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Stick with what ever local bank works for you and use a currency exchange service for the money between accounts, such as xe.com though there are other recommendations if you search the board.