British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US to UK airfare -- does this sound reasonable? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-uk-airfare-does-sound-reasonable-410234/)

Just Jenney Nov 26th 2006 6:03 pm

US to UK airfare -- does this sound reasonable?

Hi everyone! I need your expertise...

Mark and I are strongly considering going to the UK for a visit some time in March. We'd like to depart Dulles-Heathrow on Friday, March 2 about 10pm ET, and return on Sunday, March 11 about 11am GMT.

British Airways is having a sale right now (ends Nov 30) where the airfare costs $1,023 AND we can also stay in London for two nights free if we want to. This is the least expensive non-stop option I can find.

Is this a reasonable price for airfare for non-stop flights from Dulles to Heathrow in March?

I must admit that I was pretty surprised to see that the taxes/fees ($245) cost nearly as much as the tickets themselves ($266), but then again it's been 3½ years since either of us has bought a plane ticket.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. :)

~ Jenney

Englishmum Nov 26th 2006 6:14 pm

Re: US to UK airfare -- does this sound reasonable?

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

Mark and I are strongly considering going to the UK for a visit some time in March. We'd like to depart Dulles-Heathrow on Friday, March 2 about 10pm ET, and return on Sunday, March 11 about 11am GMT.

British Airways is having a sale right now (ends Nov 30) where the airfare costs $1,023 AND we can also stay in London for two nights free if we want to. This is the least expensive non-stop option I can find.

Is this a reasonable price for airfare for non-stop flights from Dulles to Heathrow in March?

I must admit that I was pretty surprised to see that the taxes/fees ($245) cost nearly as much as the tickets themselves ($266), but then again it's been 3½ years since either of us has bought a plane ticket.

~ Jenney

$1023 is for both of you and not per person, right?

Not a bad price if it includes accommodation.

Also check out for flights and hotel packages in London here:

http://www.go-today.com

Old William Nov 26th 2006 6:17 pm

Sounds about right.

jen_andreson Nov 26th 2006 6:25 pm

Sounds reasonable.

The airlines love to advertise their low fares, and then it's a bit of a surprise to see how much tax is added on.

Just Jenney Nov 26th 2006 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
$1023 is for both of you and not per person, right?

Not a bad price if it includes accommodation.

Also check out for flights and hotel packages in London here:

http://www.go-today.com

Yeah, sorry -- that price is for both of us, not individually. As for the accommodation, we would mainly be staying with family, but we might want to spend a night in London so we can go to a show or whatever. We haven't decided yet.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it!

Thanks to everyone else who responded, too, I appreciate it.

~ Jenney

TRPardoe Nov 26th 2006 6:47 pm

~ Jenney

Have a look at www.kayak.com it was recommended by a friend.

BigDavyG Nov 26th 2006 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Have a look at www.kayak.com it was recommended by a friend.

Or mobissimo.com

I've never flown from Dulles - you could maybe shave $100 off each ticket is you shopped about - alternatively if you wait the downside could be considerably more.
That said I booked my Xmas flights in August and they didn't really go up much until late October.

airborne83x Nov 26th 2006 8:46 pm

Very good price. I bought a ticket for myself for 800$, that's a great deal you got..

have fun

~ Jenney

penguinsix Nov 27th 2006 4:35 pm

Summer time IAD to LHR sometimes gets upto about $800 per person. February and other off times can see it go down to $350-$400. The advertised fares will say $199 each way but then they add about $150 in taxes.

Your rate is pretty good. I'd take it. I generally think the 10:00 Dulles flight is less crowded than the 6:00, but you might want to ask (less crowded = open rows where you can stretch out, sometimes...)

By the way, when searching for flights on non-BA systems, use the airport code WAS to include all three Washington airports (Dulles, National and BWI) as you might get lucky and find a lower fare at say BWI or a National/Connection than out at Dulles).

Englishmum Nov 27th 2006 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Your rate is pretty good. I'd take it. I generally think the 10:00 Dulles flight is less crowded than the 6:00, but you might want to ask (less crowded = open rows where you can stretch out, sometimes...)

Yes - morning flights from the East Coast to the UK are nearly always less busy than the evening flights. This is because they land in the UK on the same day but in the evening and it's too late in most cases for connecting flights on to other destinations.

Also a lot of people travelling on business take the overnight flight, (and if in a frequent flyer scheme can usually freshen up in the FF lounge and take a shower) and go straight to their business meetings. My husband does that, I don't know how he does it. I personally prefer to land at Heathrow in the evening so I can get to my destination and go to bed....I don't suffer so much from jet-lag that way.

In Newark, NJ, the BA flight in the morning is a smaller plane - a 767 - and the two evening flights are the larger 777s. I flew in October to LHR and out of 141 seats in economy, 93 were empty! Same again when I flew a couple of weeks ago, the flight didn't have many pax.

frrussre Nov 27th 2006 9:11 pm

~ Jenney

I have also been looking at BA Miami - LHR (Mar 07), little shocked at the prices. I use to pay less then a Grand for 3 NY - LHR. Tax was £10 or $20, every time I go the tx (Security, fuel & lets screw the people & call it tax) goes up & up. $245, reridiculous.
Reg. Frank R.