Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US traffic lights are inefficient - surprise

US traffic lights are inefficient - surprise

Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: US traffic lights are inefficient - surprise

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
There's a certain spot in downtown Durham where I've stopped, at a red light, and found that the car in front does a left on red! This is not legal in NC. I've seen this happen in daylight as well as at night. Some people are just so impatient...

NC Penguin
I wouldn't stop for lights in downtown Durham either.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Neathborn
At least in the U.S. they don't have "priority from the right..."
Sure they do.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:36 am

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Hampton Roads is special. Motorists there fly in the face of game theory and co-operate. They recognize that if we all speed, then our chances of being the poor bugger are slim. I think it is also a civil disobedience thing -- a protest against the utter absurdity of having a 55mph limit on 10 lane highways.

Yes, they're definitely crazy in Hampton Roads. There's recently been a big campaign asking cars to slow down in construction areas -- drivers are asked to reduce their speeds from 60 to 45 in a work zone. Hasn't made a blind bit of difference. Whilst sedately sticking to 45mph through Newport News where work was going on, I was the only car going that slow. Plenty of big trucks were whizzing by at over 60!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 3:22 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
I wouldn't stop for lights in downtown Durham either.
Have you actually been to downtown Durham? It's not as bad as you might imagine...

NC Penguin
Old Apr 21st 2005, 3:28 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Uh yeah but in Britian isnt there some kind of whacky drive to put traffic lights on roundabouts?
Nice one in Bracknell and I swear there's a few in Milton Keynes.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Nice one in Bracknell and I swear there's a few in Milton Keynes.
The biggest I'v seen is in Camberley Surrey with lights, and I loved driveing round Milton Keynes because of the round abouts, traffic always flowing!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 3:44 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
The biggest I'v seen is in Camberley Surrey with lights, and I loved driveing round Milton Keynes because of the round abouts, traffic always flowing!!!
Shite. Forgot about that one. That's one heck of a roundabout. London Road I think???

I used to hit that on my way to the Rock Box for my weekly metal LP fix and then the Agincourt Nightclub. Oh, those were the days
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:31 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
That would be the average American's way of dealing with the very same situation!

NC Penguin
Not where I live,especially women drivers, who, sat at 4-way stops, kind of smile and wave their arms about like windmills - they seem to be waving everyone else to go first - I just don't get it. Younger men, on the other hand ....... duuuuuuuuuuude!!!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

grapefruit&milk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Not true! In many states it is legal to turn left on red, going from one-way to one-way streets.
From "John Cletheroe's USA and Canada Holiday Hints", on Driving in the US:

>
>
In most US states and Canadian provinces, when turning left from one one-way road into another one-way road, you can turn left on a red circle light provided you first come to a complete stop and make sure that the way is clear, and also provided there is isn't a sign indicating "No turns on red". My thanks to Paul Johnson for reminding me of this rule. I suspect that many motorists are unaware that they can legally turn left on a red light in these circumstances, which may cause some confusion
It is illegal to turn left on a red light, even from one one-way road into another one-way road, in the city of New York and the Canadian Province of Québec. It is also illegal for school buses carrying pupils throughout New York State. Justin JIH (external link verified Jun-03) states that it is also illegal (for all vehicles) in Connecticut, the District Of Columbia, Maine, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina (although a law is due to passed soon to permitting), Rhode Island, parts of South Dakota and Guam.
>
>

So something as potentially vital and dangerous as this differs from state to state. I love it. Vive la difference.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:33 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grapefruit&milk
I suspect that many motorists are unaware that they can legally turn left on a red light in these circumstances, which may cause some confusion
Most Americans are indeed unaware of this rule, so you must exercise caution. I have scared the crap out of many an American passenger by exercising my legal rights!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:45 am
Nostradamus

Most Americans are indeed unaware of this rule, so you must exercise caution. I have scared the crap out of many an American passenger by exercising my legal rights!
The new city contemplating a condemnation
Extreme horrors and vengeances and poor driving
Two great rocks for a long time will make war
Drinking by force the waters poisoned by sulfur

Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:32 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nostradamus
The new city contemplating a condemnation
Extreme horrors and vengeances and poor driving
Two great rocks for a long time will make war
Drinking by force the waters poisoned by sulfur
I want to know what Nostradamus drives. A Toyota Prius?

NC Penguin
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:35 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Better that than the exercising the right to bear arms. That could frighten a lot more residents!

NC Penguin