US or Them

Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:37 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US or Them

Originally Posted by ImHere
That makes me kinda sad.
It was awful. I've never seen anyone look as sad.

I'm going back for a visit in late Aug and I'm going to do some serious thinking. Mr Sibsie is not an England fan so doesn't want to come which makes my thinking even more serious. (cue big sigh)
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:20 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
I've just come back from the laundrette, or whatever they call it over here.

Anyway there was this old guy in there. He was in his 80's and originally from Kent. We got chatting and he said he'd been here 45 years. He said he hates it. He said every single day he hates it a little more but has left it so long he can't go home now. He told me to go back while I still had the chance so that life didn't slip away and to make sure I didn't end up like him, full of regrets.

Thats so depressing Sibs, I feel like adopting that man and buying him a ticket home.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:24 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Thats so depressing Sibs, I feel like adopting that man and buying him a ticket home.
I'll ask around to see who he is and maybe go visit him.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sarah
I see them all the time(OAPs) in the pharmacy pating 6-700 dollars on their CCs for meds....some of the pharmacists are apologetic at charging them for meds.....very sad
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bless you sibs, what a lovely thing to do. The worst thing is though if he went back to England he might not like it as he may be thinking about the country back in his day. What a sad situation, I think the worst thing about living abroad is you become out of touch with your homeland and you resent where you live because its not your homeland.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:58 pm
Winterwords

My dad has lived in the UK since the early 70s, although he sometimes has had the urge to move back, now he makes one good point why he would never move back in three letters: NHS

Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Oh bless you sibs, what a lovely thing to do. The worst thing is though if he went back to England he might not like it as he may be thinking about the country back in his day. What a sad situation, I think the worst thing about living abroad is you become out of touch with your homeland and you resent where you live because its not your homeland.
Most emigrant's lives are not easy, especially if you're from a first world nation in the first place. I think it is easier in a way, if you emigrated due to problems in your own country where you know you will never live again.

It usually sets in after 7 years though (the 7 year emigrant itch?).....
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

the NHS is enough to make me wanna go back too.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:26 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Manc
the NHS is enough to make me wanna go back too.
All those nurses eh?

Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: US or Them

I know I'm speaking out of turn here and I'm sorry, but this is so sad. I HOPE you meet up with the guy and have a cup of tea with him. It would be great if he could come home before it really is too late
Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:51 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I know I'm speaking out of turn here and I'm sorry, but this is so sad. I HOPE you meet up with the guy and have a cup of tea with him. It would be great if he could come home before it really is too late

Ronnie Biggs made it back, I think he said something along the lines he wanted to die back in Britain. To be honest, the UK has changed too, I wonder how hard it would be for a senior to go back, especially for a senior getting up there in years. Poor guy. It is a sad story.

Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:15 pm
C.G.D.S

Thankfully this is a really small town and everyone knows everyone. The woman who owns the launderette is the font of all knowledge so I'll ask her on Monday. I'll defo go out of my way to track him down.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:30 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

I've just come back from the laundrette, or whatever they call it over here.

Anyway there was this old guy in there. He was in his 80's and originally from Kent. We got chatting and he said he'd been here 45 years. He said he hates it. He said every single day he hates it a little more but has left it so long he can't go home now. He told me to go back while I still had the chance so that life didn't slip away and to make sure I didn't end up like him, full of regrets.
Thats terrible. That definitely reinforces my desire to go home. This place can be fun but it will never be home and I will never feel the kind of emotional attachment to it that I have for the UK. It would be awful to spend 45 years in this rat race and then regret that you didn’t try to get back home.

When we planned to move over here I thought the USA was the big shiny land of opportunity and that the grass was the greenest it could be anywhere. Its been a process of having the scales fall from my eyes as I have come to see the reality of living in America. It is not what I thought it was and in a lot of ways its much worse than the UK. I agree with the sentiments expressed above that NI has not been as corrupted and Americanised as some parts of the UK so going back to Belfast would definitely be my first choice. Its just a matter of money and then having ‘a what the hell’ moment and taking a chance. You never know until you try and I needed to try the USA to get it out of my system and find the real value of home.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It was awful. I've never seen anyone look as sad.

I'm going back for a visit in late Aug and I'm going to do some serious thinking. Mr Sibsie is not an England fan so doesn't want to come which makes my thinking even more serious. (cue big sigh)
After 3 years away ..dont be surprised after the first week or so.. you start wanting to come home .. happened to me in 2000 and 2002 ...I keep putting another trip off ...
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:47 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally Posted by Ray
After 3 years away ..dont be surprised after the first week or so.. you start wanting to come home .. happened to me in 2000 and 2002 ...I keep putting another trip off ...
You could well be right. I didn't really feel anything either way when I left after my trip back at Easter. But... it's something I do need to get out of my system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.