US Taxes

Old Feb 6th 2015, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all
Default US Taxes

Afternoon
I think we may need a CPA, to file our 2014 taxes, normally we use one of the tax sites and this year saying we are due a refund

Just after some general guidance from any who have been through same situation

Background
PERM was not completed by end of 7 years so we left USA last day September 2014 to Canada
We have Texas home and paying mortgage, we hope to be back Oct2015
Home was not rented until Jan2015. Empty Oct-Dec2014

So we have US Income through September, with all our normal Federal Taxes paid. Filled out tax returns for 2014 same as normal.

Sounds to me like the refund is due to less annual income (only 9 months -but still met substantial presence test) meaning we were less above our annual tax allowance
Does this sound reasonable?

We left US and got an intercompany transfer to Canada, so earning income and paying taxes here now.
Do we report Canada Income and Taxes on US return?
And then do we have to tell Canada about Jan-Sep in US
hopefully there is no double taxation

Many thanks