Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US taxation on UK pension

US taxation on UK pension

Old Dec 13th 2013, 2:23 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US taxation on UK pension

Originally Posted by theOAP
We keep coming back to the discussion on the fact that we all file the same tax forms, but how we file those forms can vary depending on: 1) is your residence in the US or the UK, and 2) is the majority of your pension/investment income from the US or the UK.
I'd add

3) Interpretation of the tax code.

A prime example being whether a US citizen who is also UK resident should include UK state pension payments on their 1040. The spirit of the treaty, the technical explanation and many IRS agents would say no......the treaty, certain professional gurus, and pedantic amateurs would say yes.

Last edited by nun; Dec 13th 2013 at 2:30 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 5:05 pm
Corrie Fan

hutchiebug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nun
In your circumstances your UK state pension is not UK taxable, but it is taxable in the US.

File form US-Individual2002

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/us_individual_2002.pdf

with the IRS and they will send it to HMRC to make sure no UK tax is withheld from your pension.

When you get your UK pension you must enter it on line 16a of your 1040 as the IRS treats it like an annuity. It is not considered as SS. You can also do the maths to calculate any part of the payment that is return of already taxed principal and enter the remaining taxable amount on 16b. This could be significant for those who have made many voluntary NI payments.
Please would you explain this for me? I will start receiving my UK SP this year. Approximately 2/3 is voluntary NI payments. Thank you.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 5:10 pm
Corrie Fan

hutchiebug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hutchiebug
Please would you explain this for me? I will start receiving my UK SP this year. Approximately 2/3 is voluntary NI payments. Thank you.
10 yrs Class 3, 9 yrs Class 2 voluntary contributions.
Happy New Year by the way!
Old Jan 1st 2014, 10:00 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchiebug
There are a couple of things to consider with UK sate pension derived form voluntary NI payments.

1) The pension amount due to voluntary NI is not included in any WEP calculations.

2) Voluntary NI is paid with money that has already been taxed. As the US treats the UK state pension an annuity you don't have to pay tax again on the part of that annuity payment that is a repayment of already taxed principal. The IRS has worksheets to help you with that calculation.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

jopavi73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
Neither of us gets our US SS yet, but my wife started receiving her British State Pension about a year ago, it'll be a few years before I get mine.

First off, as you mentioned, the UK authorities do not tax your British pension, since from the application that you sent in to start receiving the pension, they know you are a US resident and so are not subject to UK income tax on the pension.

Next, it is taxable in the US. You declare the total amount in line 16a of the 1040, and put the same amount in line 16b. We also filed a form 4852. Probably not strictly necessary, but gave us a good paper trail for future reference.

This is my two cents, others will have further insights ..
Having started my 2013 return I note that there are changes in line #s. If you're itemizing the form is now 1040A and the line you report Pensions & Annuities is 12a and 12b not 16a and b as in previous years.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jopavi73
Having started my 2013 return I note that there are changes in line #s. If you're itemizing the form is now 1040A and the line you report Pensions & Annuities is 12a and 12b not 16a and b as in previous years.
Form 1040 is acceptable in all cases for residents where as form 1040A and 1040EZ have limitations.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc352.html

Last edited by Michael; Jan 14th 2014 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

jopavi73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael
Form 1040 is acceptable in all cases for residents where as form 1040A and 1040EZ have limitations.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc352.html
I guess my TaxAct software chose the appropriate form for my circumstances.