Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US tax on work pension

US tax on work pension

Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

kibletti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US tax on work pension

I've been reading through the various tax threads but I'm trying figure out how I should file the work pension I get from my University Superannaution Scheme. I did not take a lump sum and the payments are made into my British bank account. I have been living and working in the USA for more than 20 years so I've only had to pay tax on my US salary. It looks like the UK have not taxed the pension. So should I just put the amount in dollars on line 16 of the 1040 form and submit the document the pension scheme sent me with the IRS form. Are there any other forms I need to submit to the IRS? Thanks!
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US tax on work pension

My wife gets a USS pension. Our CPA doesn't send anything with the US tax return.

You might want to double check you are getting it tax free. If not you'll need https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...idual_2002.pdf and send it with IRS form 8802 to the IRS.

Last edited by lansbury; Dec 31st 2016 at 6:44 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:56 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

This bit seems to have deleted from my reply.

Make sure you are receiving it tax free. If not fill out HMRC form 2002 and send it to the IRS with IRS form 8802, and that way it will be exempted from UK tax.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:58 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, enter the amount in of the pension on line 16 of your 1040. I would make sure the pension stays untaxed by the UK by either filing a US-Individual 2002 and claiming the treaty exemption or if your UK source income is less than your personal allowance you can file an R43 with HMRC to claim your allowance.
You could file a substitute 1099-R from 4852, but I don't think it's really necessary.

Last edited by nun; Dec 31st 2016 at 7:00 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Your position is correct. Hopefully you will be fling an FBAR to report the UK bank account and you filed Form 8938 for every year since 2011 to report the USS as a foreign financial asset. If the 8938 or FBARs were omitted you'll want to consider how to amend any past omissions.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

When you enter your pension in $'s then use the IRS official average.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...exchange-rates