British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US tax on UK state pension (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-tax-uk-state-pension-922373/)

poppy3 Feb 23rd 2019 8:22 pm

US tax on UK state pension

Hi, I have lived in USA for over 30 years and am now a dual national. I am receiving a small UK state pension (UK social security) earned when I was a UK citizen living in the UK before I moved to the USA in 1979. My question is whether I need to pay taxes on this income (both federal and state - Massachusetts). It is not taxable in the UK. I'm having a hard time finding a answer to this question. (I'm not concerned about WEP issues about which I have seen long discussions. I have paid into US system for over 30 years and get my full US social security.) Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Nutmegger Feb 23rd 2019 8:53 pm

Re: US tax on UK state pension

Yes, you will declare your UK pension on your 1040 and be liable for tax on it.

Cook_County Feb 24th 2019 11:15 am

As a US person you report worldwide income, including UK State pension.

poppy3 Feb 24th 2019 7:29 pm

Thank you Nutmegger and Cook-County. By any chance, any Mass residents out there who would know whether UK state pension should also be reported on Massachusetts state tax form.

tbooth Feb 24th 2019 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by poppy3 (Post 12643091)
Thank you Nutmegger and Cook-County. By any chance, any Mass residents out there who would know whether UK state pension should also be reported on Massachusetts state tax form.

I’m a Mass resident with a full U.K. State Pension and a smaller US Social Security pension and multiple UK personal pensions and my accountant always reports all to both Federal and State. But we did choose our accountant carefully based on their knowledge of US/UK joint tax laws,as we’ve moved back and forth as a US/UK couple a bit, with substantial property. PM if you need more accountant details.

poppy3 Feb 25th 2019 1:27 am

Thank you tbooth. Its good to know there are accountants versed in UK/US joint tax laws. I will PM you if I think I need an accountant.

Nutmegger Feb 25th 2019 2:30 am

Originally Posted by poppy3 (Post 12643272)
Thank you tbooth. Its good to know there are accountants versed in UK/US joint tax laws. I will PM you if I think I need an accountant.

If the pension is your only financial connection with the UK, you have no need for a specialized CPA. It is just treated as income.

durham_lad Feb 25th 2019 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12643282)

If the pension is your only financial connection with the UK, you have no need for a specialized CPA. It is just treated as income.

+1

I reported and paid tax on a UK pension for years while living in the USA. It’s easy to do.