Reload this Page >

US Tax return for minimal interest

US Tax return for minimal interest

Old Apr 25th 2021, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Geckz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Tax return for minimal interest

Hi All,

So I left the USA and returned to UK Dec 2019 (Visa Holder). I did my 2019 USA tax return from the UK successfully and closed down the job and (I thought) all of my bank accounts so that I would have $0 in income from the USA in 2020.

I've just realized I left a bank account open in the USA through 2020 and received $48 in interest. Do I need to file a USA tax return for non resident? This was my only income from the USA in the entire of 2020.
Old Apr 25th 2021, 3:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax return for minimal interest

There is a minimum income requirement in order to be liable for filing a tax return. I'm not sure what that exact figure is, but I'm guessing it's not as low as $48. So I'm going to say "no".

Did the bank send you an official tax statement for the interest earned? I have one account that earns very little a year (less than $48), and the bank never sends me any tax statements.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2021, 3:51 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Google could probably help you do some research here:

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/i...to-file-taxes/

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/conten...s_a_b_4012.pdf
Old Apr 25th 2021, 5:00 pm
Aoi
Forum Regular

Aoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming that you are a ‘nonresident alien’, Article 11(1) of the UK/US tax treaty states:

1. Interest arising in a Contracting State and beneficially owned by a resident of the other Contracting State shall be taxable only in that other State.

Publication 519 U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens states:

You can access the tax treaty tables by going to IRS.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Tax-Treaty-Tables

Exceptions. You do not have to file Form 8833 for any of the following situations.

1. You claim a reduced rate of withholding tax under a treaty on interest, dividends, rent, royalties, or other fixed or determinable annual or periodic income ordinarily subject to the 30% rate.

Etc.

Old Apr 26th 2021, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Did you have a US visa in 2020? If not, the income is exempt from US tax under US domestic law. You would of course report it in the UK.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Geckz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks All,

Appreciate the help on this one! Interest is/ will be on my UK self assessment - very glad I don't have to do a USA return.

Don't have a Visa anymore or any other ties to the USA.