British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Tax return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-tax-return-940866/)

newadventure Sep 27th 2021 4:46 pm

US Tax return

Hello,
I mailed in a self-completed, paper US tax return (2020) towards the end of May (i applied for an extension as missed the initial deadline). I believe i sent it recorded/registered but can't find the receipt. I am trying to find out if the IRS have actually received the return - i am due a small refund but more concerned about whether it actually got there. I have tried the IRS 'check my refund status' website, but it does not recognise the initial information (SSNO, filing status, refund amount) nor the subsequent data (date and method of return). I then tried the transcript service for which you need to set up an account. Again, after entering SSNO, name, DOB and address, it did not recognise me so i was unable to set up an account. I have filed taxes over here for the previous 8 years so this was a bit of surprise. I have tried phoning but it just tells you to call another time as they are too busy. Should i be worried that the IRS seem to have no record of me? Is there any other way of checking if they have received my return?
Thanks

lansbury Sep 27th 2021 5:03 pm

Re: US Tax return

The only three ways I know to check you seemed to have tried. Check refund status, transcript or call the customer service line.

Lion in Winter Sep 27th 2021 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 13056245)
Hello,
I mailed in a self-completed, paper US tax return (2020) towards the end of May (i applied for an extension as missed the initial deadline). I believe i sent it recorded/registered but can't find the receipt. I am trying to find out if the IRS have actually received the return - i am due a small refund but more concerned about whether it actually got there. I have tried the IRS 'check my refund status' website, but it does not recognise the initial information (SSNO, filing status, refund amount) nor the subsequent data (date and method of return). I then tried the transcript service for which you need to set up an account. Again, after entering SSNO, name, DOB and address, it did not recognise me so i was unable to set up an account. I have filed taxes over here for the previous 8 years so this was a bit of surprise. I have tried phoning but it just tells you to call another time as they are too busy. Should i be worried that the IRS seem to have no record of me? Is there any other way of checking if they have received my return?
Thanks

Sounds as though you need to speak to a live person, somehow.

Google has provided me with a list of alternative numbers to call. I'm afraid I don't know if any of them work.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/t...stomer-service

Given that you have already successfully filed 8 times previously, it is a bit odd. If you had tax paid by an employer, paid it yourself (self-employed), and/or received a refund there will be records to prove you exist. It might also be worth logging into your social security account to make sure that all is well there.

By any chance did you file jointly with a spouse for the previous years? If so, were you listed second on the filing? Might mean that the primary taxpayer is your spouse and the info may be under that SSN. Just guessing here, I'm not an expert.

Glasgow Girl Sep 27th 2021 7:05 pm

I think it is way too soon to be concerned. The IRS has admitted that at the start of September, 2021 it had a massive backlog of 8.5 million unprocessed returns due to staffing issues because of Covid, and all the additional responsibilities that have been heaped on them in the last couple of years. Submitting your return on paper probably puts you closer to the end of the backlog than the front. I would wait for about 6 months before getting concerned.

newadventure Sep 27th 2021 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13056283)
By any chance did you file jointly with a spouse for the previous years? If so, were you listed second on the filing? Might mean that the primary taxpayer is your spouse and the info may be under that SSN. Just guessing here, I'm not an expert.

Yes, i did think about that. I am the primary taxpayer, but i also checked under my wife's SSN. Same result

newadventure Sep 27th 2021 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl (Post 13056291)
I would wait for about 6 months before getting concerned.

Thanks Glasgow Girl. I knew there was a big backlog, i was hoping there was something i could check online to show they had received the return. I'll give it another couple of months

Lion in Winter Sep 27th 2021 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 13056297)
Yes, i did think about that. I am the primary taxpayer, but i also checked under my wife's SSN. Same result

Imo that makes Glasgow Girl's theory even more likely.

Seems unlikely that they have completely lost two of you, although why you cannot at least see your previous records if you have eight years of them remains a mystery.

durham_lad Sep 28th 2021 8:27 am

It is really slow. This year I had to send in a paper return instead of the e-filing I usually do. This was early May and 2 weeks ago I received a letter requesting more information (5 months after they received the return). I had forgotten to include a paper copy of a 1099-R showing the taxes withheld and the letter stated they needed it to verify the withholding against what I had stated on the return. <rant>My fault although I don’t understand why they need paper copies since they have a record of the 1099-R themselves and when e-filing no paper copies are needed because they have copies of all this stuff anyway. They also wanted me to file forms as a foreign person even though I have been filing as a US citizen for over 20 years, so I had to include copies of my US passport</rant>

My point is that paper returns take a long, long time to process.

Lion in Winter Sep 28th 2021 11:03 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 13056467)
It is really slow. This year I had to send in a paper return instead of the e-filing I usually do. This was early May and 2 weeks ago I received a letter requesting more information (5 months after they received the return). I had forgotten to include a paper copy of a 1099-R showing the taxes withheld and the letter stated they needed it to verify the withholding against what I had stated on the return. <rant>My fault although I don’t understand why they need paper copies since they have a record of the 1099-R themselves and when e-filing no paper copies are needed because they have copies of all this stuff anyway. They also wanted me to file forms as a foreign person even though I have been filing as a US citizen for over 20 years, so I had to include copies of my US passport</rant>

My point is that paper returns take a long, long time to process.

This is how I think of the IRS doing paper forms.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...6c70738b00.jpg

durham_lad Sep 28th 2021 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13056532)
This is how I think of the IRS doing paper forms.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...6c70738b00.jpg

Perfect :lol:

newadventure Sep 28th 2021 12:48 pm

Ha! Yes, I do my tax return using Turbo tax, but there is one form (8833) that is not included so i have to print out and send paper copy. Usually it does not take too long to hear back, looks like it will be different this year. Hope the supply of quills holds up

newadventure Oct 18th 2022 4:22 pm

Re: US 2020 Tax return

Well, it's now well over a year since my previous post and still nothing from the IRS (i am waiting for a refund from my 2020 tax return, paper-filed in May 2021). I have called a few times, but never even get the chance to hold. Any change to the advice to sit and wait? My main concern is that they never received the return, closely followed by they received it and it is now in audit

Glasgow Girl Oct 18th 2022 5:52 pm

Re: US 2020 Tax return

This might help you https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-ope...tions-continue

You can also request a transcript which you can do by mail or online (just set up an online account). Per the above link, they should have processed it by now if you submitted it as you stated and it does not require further review. If there is a transcript that will tell you where things stand, including if it is under audit, review, or needs errors resolved. If there is not a transcript I would assume they never received it, or more likely, they have misplaced it. If there is no transcript, I would resend with recorded delivery and with a cover note explaining that it is a duplicate submittal and that the original was submitted in a timely manner. After that all you can do is wait, or perhaps contact your congressman.

Edit: my best guess is that the submittal of Form 8833 put in a pile of returns that need further review, and in the current state of affairs that could take some time.

Nutmegger Oct 18th 2022 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 13056245)
Hello,
Thanks

Keep going after them! We had a bit of a disaster where although we could prove that we had filed our 2020 tax return (via turbotax), the IRS had totally mislaid it and never reviewed it; so when we filed for 2021, they said we were a year in arrears even though there should have been a credit to apply. In the end we contacted our congressperson and her tax liaison got us in direct contact with a live person at the IRS. It took a few months after that to sort it out, so do keep it on your radar.

newadventure Oct 18th 2022 6:46 pm

Thanks both.
I looked at the IRS link, and it says there are still 5.3 mn unprocessed returns from 2021 and late filed prior year returns. I will wait a little longer.
I did go into my IRS account (no transcript for 2020 nor 2021) and noticed that they have the wrong address for me (first digit of house number out by 1). So i will send off a form to correct that. I have signed up for letter and email communications so i don't think this has caused me to miss anything