British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Tax filing advice after returning to the UK. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-tax-filing-advice-after-returning-uk-928062/)

NewJerseyAllStars Sep 23rd 2019 8:55 am

US Tax filing advice after returning to the UK.

Need some advice around US tax filing. Spent a year working in New York unfortunately the role didn’t work out and I returned to the UK in September. For my 2018 tax filing I was not considered a tax resident and only had to file a return for the my US income. However for the 2019 tax year I will be considered resident and need to file a tax return on all my global income.

My company arranged for my tax return in my first year but now I am on my own, so need some help. I know it’s a few months away but can anybody recommend an accounting tax service. I notice there are a few online companies but have no idea if they are any good! Reading some of the reviews there are horror stories where there is lack of support. As I have income from a number of tax jurisdictions so will be complex and need some advice.

Aoi Sep 23rd 2019 9:38 am

Re: US Tax filing advice after returning to the UK.

For 2015 I used taxact.com. It supports Dual-Status tax returns by preparing two tax returns: 1040 and 1040NR. I found the step by step guidance in taxact.com helpful.

Cook_County Sep 25th 2019 8:08 am

As you remained UK tax resident you will need to report the income in the UK and claim credit for US tax on a UK self-assessment tax return.

fusionsnow Mar 12th 2020 4:03 pm

Hi there,

I'm in a similar position to the original poster. I am a UK citizen who lived in the US from October 2018-September 2019, and then repatriated to the UK. For the 2018 tax year, I filed my taxes with H&R Block in person and was able to file as a non-resident alien as I did not meet the substantial presence test. How do I go about completing my 2019 tax filing? I would need to do this remotely as I am back in the UK.

I have rental income from the UK for the 9 months I was living in the US along with employment income from the US. For the 3 months of the year that I was back in the UK I have UK employment income.

One of the respondents suggested needing to fill out both 1040NR and 1040. Is the former for the period of the year after repatriating to the UK (Oct-Dec) and the latter for when I was in the US (Jan-Sept)?

What software can I use to do this? I saw taxact.com suggested - will their "Premier+" version do everything I need?

And are there any other tips to ensure I don't get overly double taxed, i.e. I get a credit for the UK tax paid on my UK income.

Many thanks,
A