British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US-style references from a British employer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-style-references-british-employer-833553/)

Br1t1sh May 10th 2014 7:02 pm

US-style references from a British employer

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I am not looking to move from the UK any time soon but I may one day and so here so the question what worries me.

In the UK many companies do not give written references or only give factual information such as start and end dates, position and salary. In the US and some other countries a candidate is expected to show a bunch of reference letters where his or her former bosses describe in minimum twenty five paragraphs what a great worker that candidate was. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So, how did you deal with this cultrural differences when you look for a job in the US after long experience in the UK?

civilservant May 10th 2014 7:25 pm

Re: US-style references from a British employer

My employer emailed my former employer in the UK asking for a few lines on some specific questions. No 25 paragraph diatribe required.

Sally Redux May 10th 2014 8:26 pm

I think flowery references are out of style everywhere now, due to liability issues.

sir_eccles May 10th 2014 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11255244)
I think flowery references are out of style everywhere now, due to liability issues.

Yeah, I think most US companies will now only give start and end dates too.

Pulaski May 10th 2014 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Br1t1sh (Post 11255209)
..... In the US and some other countries a candidate is expected to show a bunch of reference letters where his or her former bosses describe in minimum twenty five paragraphs what a great worker that candidate was. Please correct me if I am wrong. ....

You are wrong. I have never been asked for a reference of any sort. I have followed up on references given by others, but I do it by phone and just get acknowledgment of their employment and dates. As Sally and Sir Eccles said, that's about all anyone gets these days.

audi4t May 10th 2014 9:42 pm

OP - U r wrong - US employers are very cautious about giving any more information about current or former employees than they have to.

Basic info only - such as

Yes he / she was an employee

From / to

That's about it

Sally Redux May 10th 2014 9:52 pm

Probably not top of the list of worries for moving countries anyway.

Hotscot May 10th 2014 10:14 pm

I've always bribed my ex-bosses to provide good references.

Or blackmailed...

Br1t1sh May 11th 2014 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11255325)
Probably not top of the list of worries for moving countries anyway.

Surely not. But since I am likely to say good bye to my curent employer soon I wonder should I bother to ask my boss to write a reference letter just in case...

audi4t May 11th 2014 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Br1t1sh (Post 11255676)
Surely not. But since I am likely to say good bye to my curent employer soon I wonder should I bother to ask my boss to write a reference letter just in case...

If u can get one gr8 but US employers usually expect little.

The trend now is to look at your online "paper trail"

Just hope you didn't post stupid stuff anywhere in your youth !!!!!!

dunroving May 11th 2014 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Br1t1sh (Post 11255209)
Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I am not looking to move from the UK any time soon but I may one day and so here so the question what worries me.

In the UK many companies do not give written references or only give factual information such as start and end dates, position and salary. In the US and some other countries a candidate is expected to show a bunch of reference letters where his or her former bosses describe in minimum twenty five paragraphs what a great worker that candidate was. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So, how did you deal with this cultrural differences when you look for a job in the US after long experience in the UK?

Where do you get the "minimum 25 paragraphs" from?

I've never seen a reference letter anywhere near that length, in the US or the UK.

dunroving May 11th 2014 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Br1t1sh (Post 11255676)

If as you say in your first post you don't plan to leave the UK any time soon, I'm not sure what would be the point.

Beaverstate May 11th 2014 10:04 am

Originally Posted by audi4t (Post 11255687)
If u can get one gr8 but US employers usually expect little.

The trend now is to look at your online "paper trail"

Just hope you didn't post stupid stuff anywhere in your youth !!!!!!

Yes facebook etc is your enemy.

However depending on the situation a letter of recommendation at times may be helpful, can't hurt.

Beaverstate May 11th 2014 10:07 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11255698)
If as you say in your first post you don't plan to leave the UK any time soon, I'm not sure what would be the point.

A letter of recommendation will travel will it not? Even within the UK.

dunroving May 11th 2014 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 11255702)
A letter of recommendation will travel will it not? Even within the UK.

The OP was about UK vs US references.