Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Much better to sidetrack the thread then to have to read your doom and gloom. You're depressing....
Here's a thought. Instead of resorting to your normal pathetic one-liners why not try and explain why I'm wrong about social mobility in the US?

But what I think is quite funny, with all that doom and gloom you still live here. And I bet you wouldn't leave, regardless of how bad it got.
Fortunately, I didn't need social mobility to get where I am. I got a first class college education in the UK at essentially zero direct cost. I also benefited from great NHS healthcare when I was sick a couple of years after I graduated. As for leaving the US, I think the probability is that I will do so within the next few years regardless of the economy.

Nice attempt to divert the thread into another rathole btw.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Why would it be hard to think it wasn't the norm for retail (grocery stores in this case) or nurses? My mil is not working in a nhs hospital, she works in a convalescent hospital, is that different? Don't know. But she has to plan her year out for her holidays. My husband's aunt is the same way. First hand knowledge when I worked for Sainsbury's, I was going to have to do the same thing.
Because that's still not really the norm is it, a couple of industries, and not necessarily all within those industries requiring it.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:13 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There are ex UK nurses who post in here perhaps they could shed a little light on it.
I didn't book a year in advance but I worked at a private hospital not the NHS

Dh has to book his in advance, well he's supposed to, but he waits till everyone is done (they take turns booking a week at a time) so if he wants more than a week off he waits and then books himself two week plus floaters and is off for nearly three weeks, he's on week one now. fixing up the house, now thats what i call a holiday

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Oct 5th 2009 at 4:16 am.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Can you take me with you when you go Giantaxe?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey
A BBC TV North American Editor by the name of Justin Webb states:

" I think there is a kind of lazy assumption that America is like Britain, only slightly bigger. And when it turns out not to be we get annoyed with [Americans]. I think if you take America to be a truly foreign country – which it is, and hugely different culturally – and respect its right to be different and enjoy looking at the differences (and don't get so upset about them), then I think you can really enjoy America and Americans."
Webb is only partially correct - it helps even more to think of the United States (which is what I assume he really means when he says "America") as being 50 different foreign countries which happen to have a common currency and most of which speak a language which is just about recognizable as once having been English but which are otherwise almost completely different...
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

First hand knowledge when I worked for Sainsbury's, I was going to have to do the same thing.
I was intrigued by this as I've never heard of anybody in the UK having to book holidays far in advance, so I asked my neighbour yesterday - their daughter works on a Sainsbury's check out part-time. Apparently there is no requirement that she books holiday far in advance, so perhaps it's changed since you left? She loves the job, does it when not at uni and gets reasonable pay plus they get a huge deduction on any groceries they buy there. She said the only holiday they usually book far in advance is Boxing Day, because obviously that's the day everybody wants off!

My husband can book any holiday with no notice, unless he is taking 3 weeks or more in one go, in which case he has to give two weeks notice. He gets 6 weeks in total, so a 3 week holiday wouldn't be unusual, but that's the only time he has to give notice.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:48 am
Just Joined

StaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to all

Okay.....Hmmmm *rubs chin*

So...if you met someone from the UK looking to emigrate to the US as they see it as a (possibly) better life, would you advise for or against?

Would you say "Give it a few years and then review your ideas".

In terms of problems related to healthcare, education, employment, expectations and general day to day living, is anyone contemplating a new life in the US simply 'jumping out of the frying pan into the fire'?

Is it something that only the foolhardy and adventurous should seriously consider these days?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey
Okay.....Hmmmm *rubs chin*

So...if you met someone from the UK looking to emigrate to the US as they see it as a (possibly) better life, would you advise for or against?
Is it something that only the foolhardy and adventurous should seriously consider these days?

I would say it is something only the ones that are moving over through employers should do. Those that have a secure paycheck coming in, or those that are moving over with or for a USC spouse.

Otherwise stay put and sit tight for a few years, see how things look then.

There are other Countries to chose from the USA is not the only choice.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear in my previous post. I was referring to working in the UK where I worked in the manufacturing/engineering sector, and it is definitely common practice to have 'first come first serve'. And believe me, it was dog eat dog with the guys that had children who wanted some of the school holidays off.

Also, as somebody mentioned, very common in the retail industry and any sector that needs to stay open 24/7. I know hospital staff in both US and UK that have this issue too.
I worked for several companies in the UK engineering sector over a span of nearly 20 years and I have never come across this level of ruthlessness in booking time off. Most large companies will have a rule whereby a certain percentage of any section can't be off at the same time but that's about it.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
I worked for several companies in the UK engineering sector over a span of nearly 20 years and I have never come across this level of ruthlessness in booking time off. Most large companies will have a rule whereby a certain percentage of any section can't be off at the same time but that's about it.
Exactly...so many will try to book their holidays as early as possible in the year. Especially those who wish to take holiday at peek times ie during school holidays. I'm wondering if this practise is being confused with mandatory rules.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
So you don't see any financial problems here?
I didn't say that.....but it isn't always doom and gloom. Surely you can find happiness or something positive to say about the place.....
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Here's a thought. Instead of resorting to your normal pathetic one-liners why not try and explain why I'm wrong about social mobility in the US?

Fortunately, I didn't need social mobility to get where I am. I got a first class college education in the UK at essentially zero direct cost. I also benefited from great NHS healthcare when I was sick a couple of years after I graduated. As for leaving the US, I think the probability is that I will do so within the next few years regardless of the economy.

Nice attempt to divert the thread into another rathole btw.
Being constantly negative makes for a sad person. I feel bad for you.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I was intrigued by this as I've never heard of anybody in the UK having to book holidays far in advance, so I asked my neighbour yesterday - their daughter works on a Sainsbury's check out part-time. Apparently there is no requirement that she books holiday far in advance, so perhaps it's changed since you left? She loves the job, does it when not at uni and gets reasonable pay plus they get a huge deduction on any groceries they buy there. She said the only holiday they usually book far in advance is Boxing Day, because obviously that's the day everybody wants off!

My husband can book any holiday with no notice, unless he is taking 3 weeks or more in one go, in which case he has to give two weeks notice. He gets 6 weeks in total, so a 3 week holiday wouldn't be unusual, but that's the only time he has to give notice.
Maybe it has changed, it has been over 5 years, almost 6 since we've been back. However, that doesn't explain my mil's need to book in advance, or her employers need I should say. Perhaps it has to do with getting a prime day off.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say that.....but it isn't always doom and gloom. Surely you can find happiness or something positive to say about the place.....
So when the OP asks whther she should change her life and move over at a time of economic upheaval, we should all tell her only that it's a lovely happy place
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it has changed, it has been over 5 years, almost 6 since we've been back. However, that doesn't explain my mil's need to book in advance, or her employers need I should say. Perhaps it has to do with getting a prime day off.
So maybe, once again, you're talking a load of bollocks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.