Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey

Anyway, it's an adventure, and I've had plenty of those!
Best way to approach it, you'll do well with that in mind.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

StaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Best way to approach it, you'll do well with that in mind.
A BBC TV North American Editor by the name of Justin Webb states:

" I think there is a kind of lazy assumption that America is like Britain, only slightly bigger. And when it turns out not to be we get annoyed with [Americans]. I think if you take America to be a truly foreign country – which it is, and hugely different culturally – and respect its right to be different and enjoy looking at the differences (and don't get so upset about them), then I think you can really enjoy America and Americans."
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

juliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud of

I think for the housing, yes, the majority of houses in the US are not brick built, hence the cheapness. But that doesn't take away from the fact that you can get a house with more facilities (yes, like the 2/3 car garage etc) for less than in the UK, dependent on the area of course.

As I said, both countries have their good bits & bad bits. You just have to try to take advantage of the good bits where you can. And you also have to bear in mind that many of the old views of the US aren't true today...but then again, many of the things that made UK so great years ago no longer exist. Half a dozen of one & 6 of another.

For the time being I'd rather live here......whether that statement is true in 5 years time is another matter. If I'd been aware (my own fault) of a lot of things that only transpired before we moved to the states, I don't think I would have come, we would have moved somewhere else in europe instead. But then again, the beauty of hindsight is that it's 20/20. And then again, I wouldn't have experienced what I have for the past 7 years
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Cat Whisperer is on a distinguished road

Both my mil and my husband's aunt have and have done it for years. My husband's aunt works for Tescos, she was not allowed to take time off for our wedding, 10 years ago because it wasn't already booked. My mil is a nurse, her holidays have to be booked a year in advance, it has been that way since I've known her, 12 years now.
I've seen this frequently, especially in certain sectors that need to keep key/all parts of the business running. When a minimum amount of personnel are required, there are going to be people having vacation requests rejected when that minimum number is reached.

One manufacturing company I worked for released it's vacation calendar on Jan 1st each year and the accounts offices were total chaos for a few days with everyone trying to book their whole allocation for the year. Especailly those with children, and those that wanted time off near the holidays.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:49 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Both my mil and my husband's aunt have and have done it for years.
so therefore it's the norm in the UK is it?
I never had to put up with anything like that and I think overall it's pretty unusual.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I never had to put up with anything like that and I think overall it's pretty unusual.
I think it's unusual, too. Even in places where there needs to be cover, people can negotiate among themselves.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juliecalifornia
I'm a newbie here, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents.......I was brought up abroad as a kiddie and ended up back in the UK to do higher & further education and hated living there as it seemed so expensive and depressing than other countries. Then finally got my dream to move to the states and lived in Northern Cal for 7 years and realized the states is not all it's cracked up to be. Even moving to PA isn't great, but it beats N Cal!!!

Every country has it's ups & downs. US is definitely cheaper to live and a better standard of living than the UK, but it doesn't have the culture or history. It doesn't have free healthcare, workers rights and a lot of things are more complicated.....taxes etc. But, we have cheap flights, cheap housing, cheap cars. It's all a trade off as far as I'm concerned.

I guess the grass is always greener. Just keep the Cadbury's choccie coming ... can't beat a good old whinge with a fellow Brit though!
Yeah I agree, I'm 20 some miles south of you and it's not super great here. I've been to Harrisburg loads of times and I don't like the area.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Everything's relative. I happen to have 4 weeks of vacation and my husband has five ... a far cry from what many in the US have I realize. Ironically that's better than I did when my employer was French. There's always an exception to the rule ...
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

wow what job do you have with 4 weeks vacation?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hospital side, definitely.... 4 weeks.....not too much. If you're not making that much money and you have to book your holidays in advance, what good is 4 weeks? I suppose that you have them, which is nice.
Both my mil and my husband's aunt have and have done it for years. My husband's aunt works for Tescos, she was not allowed to take time off for our wedding, 10 years ago because it wasn't already booked. My mil is a nurse, her holidays have to be booked a year in advance, it has been that way since I've known her, 12 years now.

Not that old chestnut again. I go back to the UK often and I have never, ever heard of this.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not that old chestnut again. I go back to the UK often and I have never, ever heard of this.
Will this straighten it out? I have heard of this practice, in the US.

I think it's more related to the industry than the country.

sheesh.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
wow what job do you have with 4 weeks vacation?
Research. Time for you to switch fields.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Will this straighten it out? I have heard of this practice, in the US.

I think it's more related to the industry than the country.

sheesh.
AmeriLisa didn't mean the US...she is talking about the UK.

What industry...working in a shop and a hospital? The only time I've heard of it is when she brings up the subject.

Sheesh back at ya.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
AmeriLisa didn't mean the US...she is talking about the UK.

What industry...working in a shop and a hospital? The only time I've heard of it is when she brings up the subject.

Sheesh back at ya.
I realize what Lisa wrote; I'm informing her that it also takes place in the US -if indeed it does take place in the UK. Since it's likely industry-specific, maybe someone who hasn't worked in a shop doesn't know about it.
The industry I'm thinking of is retail, which does dovetail with what she said.

I conclude that it very likely goes on in both countries. Some people have to schedule (with the employer) when their vacation time from work will be, at the beginning of the year.

What's the policy in your industry?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by meauxna
I realize what Lisa wrote; I'm informing her that it also takes place in the US -if indeed it does take place in the UK. Since it's likely industry-specific, maybe someone who hasn't worked in a shop doesn't know about it.
The industry I'm thinking of is retail, which does dovetail with what she said.

I conclude that it very likely goes on in both countries. Some people have to schedule (with the employer) when their vacation time from work will be, at the beginning of the year.

What's the policy in your industry?
You can take as much time off as you please without any notice and I do...often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.