Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Wasn't aware that Canada was tricky to get into, but I suspect the average American wouldn't even consider leaving the country in hard times.
Why wouldn't they?
Perhaps because historically the US has been a place to come to and not go away from in order to find a better life.
There were a few American staff when I worked in a FE college, one of them was a huge skiver, pretty sure I know why he moved to England
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yeah, it's something, isn't it? My neighbor passed away this year and we've been helping the family sort things out. Lloyd had a big machine (saw or drill, can't recall right now) that his grandparents (he worked their honey and farm market business) brought out on the Oregon Trail. Covered wagon & the lot. They donated the equipment to the OR Historical Society.

The recent stories about the Chinese settlers have been very interesting too; what a contribution they made to the West!
I've always had an interest in history and it's so easy to fall into the trap of saying 'the US has no history'. In reality, in my view, the US has far more interesting recent history than the UK. UK was a big 'mover and shaker' in the past, and had major events such as the Roman invasion, Battle of Hastings/1066, etc ... but in the past several hundred years has undergone a pretty mundane development from agriculture to industrialization with relatively moderate upheaval (maybe the Plague/Black Death were significant milestones). Sure, it developed half the planet by way of empire, but back home remained remarkably stable in many ways - compared to the US, which went from 'near empty' to where we are today in just a few hundred years.

In the UK, you can probably still sit in a pub that pre-dates American Independence - so that's 'history' in one sense - but here, you can live somewhere that was occupied by tribes of Indians 200 years ago ... that's 'history' in another sense.

I think you have to live 'out west' to really appreciate just how recent these events were - the Oregon Trail, the Donner party, the Gold Rush, the Chinese railroad workers / gold diggers, etc. Very fascinating stuff. Not to mention the slavery issues, civil rights, race to the moon, 'the 60s' ...

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Wasn't aware that Canada was tricky to get into, but I suspect the average American wouldn't even consider leaving the country in hard times.
Why wouldn't they?
Perhaps because historically the US has been a place to come to and not go away from in order to find a better life.
I have American friends who have moved to Canada for medical reasons (serious, long-term issues). I'd consider moving to Vancouver under the right circumstances, and ... if I could ever get used to the cold again!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:20 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Sorry I missed it
It was just OP bitching about how much he missed the snow.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:47 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steerpike
UK was a big 'mover and shaker' in the past, and had major events such as the Roman invasion, Battle of Hastings/1066, etc ... but in the past several hundred years has undergone a pretty mundane development from agriculture to industrialization with relatively moderate upheaval (maybe the Plague/Black Death were significant milestones). Sure, it developed half the planet by way of empire, but back home remained remarkably stable in many ways - compared to the US, which went from 'near empty' to where we are today in just a few hundred years.
You kind of skipped over a few things that many people around the world consider to be rather important. Little things, you know, like the Magna Carta, Habeas Corpus, Common Law, that kind of stuff...
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

Retseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really nice

I'll give you my 2c opinion on this.

I think America is for younger people, the younger the better. I wish I could have grown up here as a kid, my school years were boring, rigid, and no fun, American kids really enjoy life.

When you start work, life is harder, the American work week is longer, and when you get paid, you KNOW you have earned it. The work life in the UK is more relaxed, with better benefits, worker protection, and most importantly more time off for vacation and illness.

In old age there are few protections in the US, if your 401k balance doesn't start with a "1", hope you die early, healthcare costs are horrendous, and without a family you're on your own. My parents back in the UK have no savings and live like king and queen. They actually save money out of their pensions, and my dad gets a brand new car off the queen every 3 years (Motability) - and all he has is a touch of Arthritis, if he's disabled I'm a Dutchman.

So take your pick, my opinion on the US could be summarized as:

1. Great for kids.
2. Ok for adults as long as you're well educated and prepared to work hard.
3. Lousy for old people (unless you're rich of course).

Hope that helps !!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:57 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
You kind of skipped over a few things that many people around the world consider to be rather important. Little things, you know, like the Magna Carta, Habeas Corpus, Common Law, that kind of stuff...
But they were hundreds of years ago. Been to Runnymead and you don't get any sense of what happened. Stood in the wagon tracks made down a hillside in central Oregon by the wagons as they passed on their way and you almost feel the people that were there.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 4:03 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retseh
3. Lousy for old people (unless you're rich of course).
Have to totally disagree.

My wife and I retired in our late 50s to Oregon. Neither of us need to work, we are not rich by any means. On the same income if we had stayed in the UK at least one of us would still be having to work.

Without a doubt we have a better standard of living here retired than we did in the UK working, even taking into account health insurance which we buy ourselves.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

Retseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really niceRetseh is just really nice

Originally Posted by lansbury
Have to totally disagree.

My wife and I retired in our late 50s to Oregon. Neither of us need to work, we are not rich by any means. On the same income if we had stayed in the UK at least one of us would still be having to work.

Without a doubt we have a better standard of living here retired than we did in the UK working, even taking into account health insurance which we buy ourselves.
I'm actually reassured by this, as the wife and I were planning to return when we get older.

I'd love to talk numbers with you, especially your healthcare costs - that's our big concern.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Retseh
I'm actually reassured by this, as the wife and I were planning to return when we get older.

I'd love to talk numbers with you, especially your healthcare costs - that's our big concern.
Feel free to send a PM I'll be happy to tell you what we do.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steerpike
the US has far more interesting recent history than the UK. here, you can live somewhere that was occupied by tribes of Indians 200 years ago. Not to mention the slavery issues, civil rights, race to the moon, 'the 60s'
Sometimes history stares right back at you. At the railway station in Williamsburg, VA I asked my wife why there were two waiting rooms and why the one we were sitting in was so small, her reply "oh this waiting room was for African American's." Sitting in an Irish pub in Atlantic City last week I saw on the wall a faded old election poster for someone called Al Smith, upon enquiring I learned he was the first catholic to gain a major party's nomination for President in 1928 when he lost the election due to his religion. Reading about desegregation in Arlington County schools and the Massive Resistance movement, events that took place in schools down the road only a few years before I was born. Listening to how my wife's Uncle Jim would drink from the colored people's water fountain at his local department store in silent protest at the absurdity of 'separate but equal' facilities. Watching the inauguration earlier this year made me think about how America is evolving hopefully towards a more tolerant society.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Oh, the list could go on and on ... I know of these things. My point is, they are 'old' things! What happened of note in the 18th, 19th, 20th centuries - IN UK (not elsewhere BECAUSE of UK) - what 'social history' events occurred - migrations of people, immigration, etc? (I'm sure you can list some, the question is rhetorical...).

Originally Posted by lansbury
But they were hundreds of years ago. Been to Runnymead and you don't get any sense of what happened. Stood in the wagon tracks made down a hillside in central Oregon by the wagons as they passed on their way and you almost feel the people that were there.
Thanks, Lansbury - that's exactly my point. I grew up in UK and was a History buff, and have bookshelves to this day full of European history - but I find the American history to be far more 'tangible'. Maybe it's also more fun to me because it is new and unexpected. Everyone knows about the Pilgrim settlers, but - I was in Santa Fe last week and found out that Santa Fe was settled before Plymouth ... http://www.pbs.org/weekendexplorer/d...ldest_city.htm . While driving around Northern California (which is stunningly beautiful), we came across the old town of Weaverville, where they have a 'Chinese Joss House'. http://www.trinitycounty.com/joss.htm ... The Chinese were brought over for the Gold Rush (and also for the building of the Railroad). After the Gold Rush, they settled in San Francisco and formed the basis of what is now Chinatown. These are fascinating social history events that are all around us.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Santa Fe last week had Dave Icke. Did you go t see him?
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Come over to California, we need more entrepreneurs!

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey
At the moment I have no children. I'm single and an only child with no surviving family and I'm not married. My reason for moving to the US IS for my children (future children). I'm an entrepreneur by nature and I see the US as a more entrepreneurial society with a positive attitude as compared to the UK's negative 'put down' attitude that I have experienced far too much of. I just see the US as the better of the two.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Amen to that, still has a long way to go though.

Originally Posted by Dewey
Sometimes history stares right back at you. At the railway station in Williamsburg, VA I asked my wife why there were two waiting rooms and why the one we were sitting in was so small, her reply "oh this waiting room was for African American's." Sitting in an Irish pub in Atlantic City last week I saw on the wall a faded old election poster for someone called Al Smith, upon enquiring I learned he was the first catholic to gain a major party's nomination for President in 1928 when he lost the election due to his religion. Reading about desegregation in Arlington County schools and the Massive Resistance movement, events that took place in schools down the road only a few years before I was born. Listening to how my wife's Uncle Jim would drink from the colored people's water fountain at his local department store in silent protest at the absurdity of 'separate but equal' facilities. Watching the inauguration earlier this year made me think about how America is evolving hopefully towards a more tolerant society.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

In regards to Americans moving to Canada, the only easy thing we have that no one else does, is our educational qualifications are readily recognized in Canada, and we speak English. That's about the only edge we as Americans have. Of course if you're a nurse or doctor...