Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Life isn't roses at all here. I can't wait to leave the country, and by the way, don't make climate the #1 reason for you to move out of the UK. You have better worker's rights, healthcare, and good vacation time to boot. Why throw all that away to live here?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I don't always know where I want to go a year in advance. I might have some idea....but who knows. Plus things come up, its nice to have the freedom to book time off in shorter time frame. I suppose if you say, well I want two weeks off in July, then you've got it booked. Of course when July rolls around and you don't have a vacation booked, you just enjoy those two weeks off at home.

I never booked my holidays a year in advance in the UK.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:05 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I don't always know where I want to go a year in advance. I might have some idea....but who knows. Plus things come up, its nice to have the freedom to book time off in shorter time frame. I suppose if you say, well I want two weeks off in July, then you've got it booked. Of course when July rolls around and you don't have a vacation booked, you just enjoy those two weeks off at home.
Having to book your time off a year in advance? WTF are you talking about?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 4:52 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

Me neither, we always did the cheapy last minute deals for holidays in UK.
I agree no worry about medical in UK and much better paid vacation time off. Dh worked 18 years in the boat business (Amazing what he'd do so he can race about on boats that cost more than our house, but he loved boats), all vacation had to be taken when the shop closed for Christmas an new year, so we never had a summer holiday in 18 years and as the years went by they reduced his medical cover, due to rising costs, till he had to leave and go work somewhere else just for the medical cover and retirement, so now he's on year 5 of mind numbing boredom.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

juliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud of

I'm a newbie here, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents.......I was brought up abroad as a kiddie and ended up back in the UK to do higher & further education and hated living there as it seemed so expensive and depressing than other countries. Then finally got my dream to move to the states and lived in Northern Cal for 7 years and realized the states is not all it's cracked up to be. Even moving to PA isn't great, but it beats N Cal!!!

Every country has it's ups & downs. US is definitely cheaper to live and a better standard of living than the UK, but it doesn't have the culture or history. It doesn't have free healthcare, workers rights and a lot of things are more complicated.....taxes etc. But, we have cheap flights, cheap housing, cheap cars. It's all a trade off as far as I'm concerned.

I guess the grass is always greener. Just keep the Cadbury's choccie coming ... can't beat a good old whinge with a fellow Brit though!
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
......... as the years went by they reduced his medical cover, due to rising costs, till he had to leave and go work somewhere else just for the medical cover and retirement, so now he's on year 5 of mind numbing boredom.
I know a woman who spent years mucking out stalls at the veterinary schools' animal pens just so the family would have health care cover...

This is an intelligent woman without any formal qualifications, who could potentially have pursued any number of professional avenues, but since her husband ran his own small business, she did what she had to do.

In the end the university took pity on her and transferred her to a mind-numbing desk job.

Land of opportunity or what...
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juliecalifornia
It doesn't have free healthcare
neither does the UK.

Yours Pedantically.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

juliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud ofjuliecalifornia has much to be proud of

I beg to differ. I know the UK taxes allegedly cover UK "free" healthcare, but you have to compare it to the ridiculously expensive US healthcare and insurance here.

Overall I pay the same taxes & deductions from my salary here that I paid in the UK, but here I pay out of pocket for healthcare (even with good insurance) and back in the UK all I would have paid is for prescriptions. Here, I am also concerned that any prescriptions written and procedures ordered are because my doctor is being a back-hander by the drug companies and hospitals.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:30 pm
@matthewb76

differ all you want.

but generally when I "pay for" something, then I regard it as "not free"
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

total bollocks.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
That has to be the most bizarre justification ever for shorter vacation time
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:59 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juliecalifornia
.......US is definitely cheaper to live and a better standard of living than the UK.........!
YMMV, of course, but as a generalisation I would dispute this.

Unless you're just talking about accumulating tons of WalMart crap and the like, and living in a large house made of sticks but benefiting from a 2-car garage.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
YMMV, of course, but as a generalisation I would dispute this.

Unless you're just talking about accumulating tons of WalMart crap and the like, and living in a large house made of sticks but benefiting from a 2-car garage.
I would, too, but I live in one of the most expensive parts.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

StaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to all

Well....I'm always up for a challenge!

I've had it all, lost it all, been homeless, and started again from nothing, so I don't think there's much that the US can throw at me that will cause any great damage (except healthcare costs).

I AM prepared (mentally) for an eventual move to the US. Plenty of homework and research will be done so that I can 'integrate' successfully in my community

Anyway, it's an adventure, and I've had plenty of those!
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Both my mil and my husband's aunt have and have done it for years. My husband's aunt works for Tescos, she was not allowed to take time off for our wedding, 10 years ago because it wasn't already booked. My mil is a nurse, her holidays have to be booked a year in advance, it has been that way since I've known her, 12 years now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.