Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Hey now running water is another whole bill on it's own here, is yours in with the property tax?
They have considered charging for the school bus here, Ds is on it for over an hour each way, it must be costing a pretty penny in fuel.
Depends on the town, in mine it is.

School buses have all been outsourced to save the school districts having to offer benefits like health insurance and holiday pay....it's all minimum wage stuff mostly.

Oh and they charge $380 a year per kid.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the town, in mine it is.

School buses have all been outsourced to save the school districts having to offer benefits like health insurance and holiday pay....it's all minimum wage stuff mostly.

Oh and they charge $380 a year per kid.
Ouch. I honestly think a lot of government official think we are all bottomless money pits.
I'm getting nickled and dimed to death here. another $380 a year for school (soon to be two kids in school) would be a real hard ship with the cost of one in Uni. Help I'm sinking.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I can only find my house on a night because we have a fire hydrant at the bottom of the drive, the blue dot in the road guides me home
Dh put up red and orange reflectors out first year here, he would keep going around the block and couldn't find the driveway in the dark. Now he put white fence posts with solar lights on top of each, so we stand out.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:25 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Sorry.

Couldn't resist
That's why the expensive Aveda products are must-have.. I smell fanTAStic!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh good, water bills.. mine is outrageous!

What's the deal?
You live in a city run by Sam and Randy incorporated
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You live in a city run by Sam and Randy incorporated
grrrr, Randy. He's on my list right now.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Ouch. I honestly think a lot of government official think we are all bottomless money pits.
I'm getting nickled and dimed to death here. another $380 a year for school (soon to be two kids in school) would be a real hard ship with the cost of one in Uni. Help I'm sinking.
Aye, give 'em a shitty $50 bike from walmart and a helmet and hedge your bets I say

Is a little bit mental.

It's not like that in all the towns mind, but is the case in a few where I am...scary as it's not all that poor of an area.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey
Hi Everyone.

Is a life in the USA still a dream worth pursuing or is it a bad idea now?

With various cutbacks in spending (health, education, etc) is it worth it?

I'm looking to emigrate to the US on an EB-5 visa in a few years as admittedly, the US is where I would prefer to have my children born and raised as I believe they would have more opportunities.

But......?
In my view the US is still worth moving to. It offers a good standard of living compared with nearly every other country in the world. However, I am less optimistic about the US in the near to middle future. Its debt is eye-watering and the healthcare system is a farce that certainly cannot be fixed now in the post GFC world. In 2009 it's 13th best place to live according to the world's only real index measuring this sort of thing (health, life expectancy, education, etc.) which is a good place to be ranked IMO.

So I would say give it a shot, basically, but have some kind of provision for healthcare.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if this last page or two doesn't open a few eyes of those thinking of coming to the US, not much will

We pay around $200 a month for water/elec combined, and then $79 every quarter for trash pick up, we get street lights but pay housing association fees for them $375 a year. School bus charge is part of property tax.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Inter-library loans are free
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:17 am
Just Joined

StaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to all

Once again, many thanks for all the posts to this thread.

I have to admit I am rethinking some of my plans.

I contacted an old friend who is a British expat living in LA who has now decided to return to the UK. I posed the same question to him as I posted here. Below are extracts from his response:

"If you are a single, relatively young person... smart. energetic, and ambitious... then come here for the time it takes you to amass the money you need to live well on. Then, go to a less frenetic, dangerous, and bigoted place, with decent health care. Right now, this country is in the throes of finding out that it no longer runs the world, and never will again....this is a hard blow for these people ( or any people, for that matter) to accept... and some very foolish efforts are, and will be, made to avoid or reverse this".

"Here, people are squandering their future for a good quarterly report! The greed, the feeling of entitlement, by the few at the top, is palpable, and sick. The ordinary Joe is being screwed over, and is slow to understand by who, and how. But when the middle class here finally finds out what happened to their country, it will be a good time NOT to be here.. especially with a family".

"Americans are easy going, generous, friendly and pretty open. Angered, frightened or offended, they are ferocious, and very dangerous. Right now this country is so polarized, with the right wing conservatives SO bigoted, and viscious, the country is pulling apart.
By all means come here and make your money... and have a good time doing it... it's a lovely place... you can pick the climate you want, and they have it here. But I would not have children in this country , and , unless you are a multi-millionaire, don't get seriously sick here, and for God's sake, don't get old here".

"That's my advice, based on observations over nearly 40 yrs here. I've been in different parts of the country, and done many different things. I've been married twice, and I just feel that it is too crowded for me where I want to be, and there is a feeling of desperation in the air... and they are looking for someone to blame...and it doesn't take much to put troops on the streets here".

Some people do well in the US and some don't. I guess all I can do is risk it and still have an escape route back to the UK, although that would be admitting defeat.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'troops on the street', we don't have that many left in the US these days
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:54 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I contacted an old friend who is a British expat living in LA who has now decided to return to the UK. I posed the same question to him as I posted here. Below are extracts from his response:

"If you are a single, relatively young person... smart. energetic, and ambitious... then come here for the time it takes you to amass the money you need to live well on. Then, go to a less frenetic, dangerous, and bigoted place, with decent health care. Right now, this country is in the throes of finding out that it no longer runs the world, and never will again....this is a hard blow for these people ( or any people, for that matter) to accept... and some very foolish efforts are, and will be, made to avoid or reverse this".

"Here, people are squandering their future for a good quarterly report! The greed, the feeling of entitlement, by the few at the top, is palpable, and sick. The ordinary Joe is being screwed over, and is slow to understand by who, and how. But when the middle class here finally finds out what happened to their country, it will be a good time NOT to be here.. especially with a family".

"Americans are easy going, generous, friendly and pretty open. Angered, frightened or offended, they are ferocious, and very dangerous. Right now this country is so polarized, with the right wing conservatives SO bigoted, and viscious, the country is pulling apart.
By all means come here and make your money... and have a good time doing it... it's a lovely place... you can pick the climate you want, and they have it here. But I would not have children in this country , and , unless you are a multi-millionaire, don't get seriously sick here, and for God's sake, don't get old here".

"That's my advice, based on observations over nearly 40 yrs here. I've been in different parts of the country, and done many different things. I've been married twice, and I just feel that it is too crowded for me where I want to be, and there is a feeling of desperation in the air... and they are looking for someone to blame...and it doesn't take much to put troops on the streets here".

Some people do well in the US and some don't. I guess all I can do is risk it and still have an escape route back to the UK, although that would be admitting defeat.
Like your friend says, not if you made your fortune before you gtfo. Then it would be a successful hit and run raid.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 11:58 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

"Americans are easy going, generous, friendly and pretty open. Angered, frightened or offended, they are ferocious, and very dangerous.
He's right, and I haven't had my coffee yet.

Do you feel lucky?

Well do ya?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:20 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

You are fortunate to have a friend who is this experienced.
It doesn't sound as if his heart is ruling his head either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.