Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Old Oct 5th 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?

Originally Posted by Leslie66
What about in the public toilet?
That is so wrong. What is wrong with these people!
I'm the sort of person that only occaisionally bothers to answer my phone at any time. If it's important they'll try to call me several times right?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

StaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Good post Nicky, I'm highlighting that bit as it's the opposite for my husband, he feels there would be much greater job security for him in UK. Interesting, greatly dependent on the area of work.

I got the impression OP was an entrepreneur of some sort. I have seen self-employed people go bust here, but by playing the system they seem to manage all right, so it may still be a good place to do that.
LOL. Yes, I'm an entrepreneur of some sort. I'm in the diamond jewellery business and I've had it all, lost it all, been homeless and started again from nothing so life in the US doesn't scare me.

I take it the US is still a positive thinking society with a patriotic pride where people shout "God Bless America" and say they're proud to be American?

Hell, I'm not proud to be British. The UK just drags you down.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StaryandStripey

I take it the US is still a positive thinking society
You had it right to a point, there.
I think that is a defining American trait.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. Yes, I'm an entrepreneur of some sort. I'm in the diamond jewellery business and I've had it all, lost it all, been homeless and started again from nothing so life in the US doesn't scare me.

I take it the US is still a positive thinking society with a patriotic pride where people shout "God Bless America" and say they're proud to be American?

There's good and bad in both places.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Right, from now on I'll stick to the objective and factual answers when discussing the original question "Is the US still a Dream worth pursuing?" We should have a decisive yes/no answer worked out in a few minutes.
Thank you for your support.
(sorry, just remembered you can't do video at work so here is the photo instead)
Attached Thumbnails Is the US still a dream worth pursuing?-b-j.jpg  

Last edited by meauxna; Oct 5th 2009 at 6:37 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:16 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do but in my opinion its a load of bollox (I'm ready for the abuse), I don't get why people are so proud to be American or English or any other nationality.

I'm proud of some things in English history and horrified by others.

I don't get why kids have to pledge allegence to the American flag every morning, and all the crap about God bless America, which god would that be? there are that many religions in America.

If you have lost everything and been homeless does this mean you have been bankrupt? I'm not up on immigration and visas... but doesn't this mean you can't get a US visa?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh yes! You feel such a twit.

What about people who walk up and down declaiming, "You've never loved me, you were never there for me" etc while choosing their washing powder
I was walking in front of this guy last week in a store, I could hear him saying
Could you repeat that?
Say that again!
Are you serious?
F*** me, are you trying to blame me?
I used a condom and you said you were covered! (yelling)

I had my Son with me, so I coughed loudly and he turned around, he gave me such a filthy look, then said "Don't ever call me again, unless you want your face ripping off and facing the other way"

Originally Posted by Leslie66
What about in the public toilet?
isn't there an echo?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:24 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I don't get why kids have to pledge allegence to the American flag every morning, and all the crap about God bless America, which god would that be? there are that many religions in America.
Brief outline of the oath to become a British citizen:

I swear before Almighty God I will be faithful to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and her heirs and successors.

There are many religions in UK, so which God would that be?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

I swear before Almighty God I will be faithful to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and her heirs and successors.

Unless the Church of England gets disestablished, legally speaking that's not true.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:29 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory

As my original post said, I don't get it for ANY country, US or UK.

I know the guidelines to become a UK or US Citizen dictate you have to say these things... But I don't understand why
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

As my original post said, I don't get it for ANY country, US or UK.

I know the guidelines to become a UK or US Citizen dictate you have to say these things... But I don't understand why
Actually you don't have to. It is possible to replace the God bit with "I affirm".
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

StaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to allStaryandStripey is a name known to all

Yes they do but in my opinion its a load of bollox (I'm ready for the abuse), I don't get why people are so proud to be American or English or any other nationality.

If you have lost everything and been homeless does this mean you have been bankrupt? I'm not up on immigration and visas... but doesn't this mean you can't get a US visa?
I escaped bankruptcy by the skin of my teeth and rebuilt my business.

The UK is a negative 'put down' society full of layabouts, losers, spongers and doom merchants, it sweeps its history under the carpet for fear of upsetting people. How can you be proud of a country that's ashamed of its past?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:43 pm

How can you be proud of a country that's ashamed of its past?
Erm, I will repeat as it obviously wasn't clear in my original post I don't get why people are so proud to be American or English or any other nationality

Therefore why are you asking me how I can be proud of England
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Okay.....Hmmmm *rubs chin*

So...if you met someone from the UK looking to emigrate to the US as they see it as a (possibly) better life, would you advise for or against?
Look at what you hope to gain by living in a foreign country, if it's adventure and opportunity to try something new your probably looking for the best reasons, materials things shouldn't be the primer for a place nor things to run away from, both will usually result in disappointment.

Living in a foreign country is great though, but don't forget that it's a big world and it doesn't have to be the US to give you what you may want to try.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:52 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Actually you don't have to. It is possible to replace the God bit with "I affirm".
Kids don't have to say the Pledge of Allegiance either. I don't say it - don't even know the words!

I do know the words to "God save the Queen though," and proudly say it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.