Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Sport, what's your bag?

View Poll Results: Sport? Suits you sir?
American Football
22.41%
Baseball
15.52%
Basketball
5.17%
Ice Hockey
8.62%
US Soccer
3.45%
All of the above - you can get beer!!
5.17%
Streaming radio 5 live is the only way to go
13.79%
I'd rather pull my own toenails out than endure any of it
25.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

US Sport, what's your bag?

Old Oct 31st 2005, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Sport, what's your bag?

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
As you said please, how about Minnesota Vikings Dave Dixon, he was second heaviest NFL player at 357lbs until Korey Stringer died.
There is a big difference between a fat guy who cannot get off the couch to a big guy playing offensive or defensive line for a football team. I bet 99% of the 280 to 300 plus pound lineman could chase you or me down.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
There is a big difference between a fat guy who cannot get off the couch to a big guy playing offensive or defensive line for a football team. I bet 99% of the 280 to 300 plus pound lineman could chase you or me down.
what about those sumo wrestlers? they weigh a few pounds...be an interesting head to head wouldn't it
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:43 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
You guys are aware that there are players other than linemen on the field during a football game, right? You're also aware that linemen are typically world-class power lifters and surprisingly fast, right?

Also, Dave Dixon (never heard of him) is apparently Maori.
Right
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:17 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
And how do you suppose Britain managed to be the world's first global power and the largest empire in human history? By knocking before entering? (FYI: We had the bits in pink).

We were doing them a favour!!!
Attached Thumbnails US Sport, what's your bag?-alf.jpg  
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Yeah over 5 yards maybe, any further and they'd be keeling over and needing to sit on the sidelines again for another hour. Face it, they are just fat guys in silk tights and body armour playing a game that is a very poor relation to rugby!!

IMO
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Yeah over 5 yards maybe, any further and they'd be keeling over and needing to sit on the sidelines again for another hour. Face it, they are just fat guys in silk tights and body armour playing a game that is a very poor relation to rugby!!

IMO

you are joking surely..........some of the defensive linemen are in there JUST to stop the run...they are the 350lb and up guys ......you will notice that say 3rd and 10 the big fat guy goes out.......on the other side the big offensive linemen are their mainly for their strength while the outside offensive linemen are normally around 260 and VERY athletic.......there are NOT many 350lb guys on any team........I guess unless you understand the game and how it's played then you just won't get it or perhaps just don't want to get it
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by psb182
you are joking surely..........some of the defensive linemen are in there JUST to stop the run...they are the 350lb and up guys ......you will notice that say 3rd and 10 the big fat guy goes out.......on the other side the big offensive linemen are their mainly for their strength while the outside offensive linemen are normally around 260 and VERY athletic.......there are NOT many 350lb guys on any team........I guess unless you understand the game and how it's played then you just won't get it or perhaps just don't want to get it
No I not joking and dont call me Shirley!!!

Do these guys run around for the whiole game like Rugby players do? No..they sit on their fat arses eating twinkies for more than half the game. Good luck to anyone that enjoys that game...Personally, I think it probably the most over rated mind numbing boringly long game there is. This isn't a anti US thing either, I think it's just as much a sack of kack as Cricket is.

Different horses for different courses!!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

No I not joking and dont call me Shirley!!!

Do these guys run around for the whiole game like Rugby players do? No..they sit on their fat arses eating twinkies for more than half the game. Good luck to anyone that enjoys that game...Personally, I think it probably the most over rated mind numbing boringly long game there is. This isn't a anti US thing either, I think it's just as much a sack of kack as Cricket is.

Different horses for different courses!!

I am from th UK but love American football......also cricket lol
Old Nov 1st 2005, 12:32 am
Account Closed

I am from th UK but love American football......also cricket lol
Fair play to you, I guess in truth, you are luckier than I.

I seriously wish I could "adapt' to liking it but if it was ever going to happen it would've happened by now and it hasn't.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Fair play to you, I guess in truth, you are luckier than I.

I seriously wish I could "adapt' to liking it but if it was ever going to happen it would've happened by now and it hasn't.

do you understand the rules and how it's played ......if not then that is the key imo......I had to sit and force myself to watch about 6-8 games while steadily getting to grips with the rules and how the game is played.....watching defences and offences lining up and trying to figure out what they are going to do.........if you watch the pre game shows they have things in slow motion and you can see the tactics of how they make the plays
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

that's what the compressed highlights are for...just to watch bone crunching tackles and injuries

though have to say, the superbowl last year when the pats won was pretty cool, but then they were the "local" team, so everyone got into it around here *l*
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:23 am
Account Closed

do you understand the rules and how it's played ......if not then that is the key imo......I had to sit and force myself to watch about 6-8 games while steadily getting to grips with the rules and how the game is played.....watching defences and offences lining up and trying to figure out what they are going to do.........if you watch the pre game shows they have things in slow motion and you can see the tactics of how they make the plays

Watch it in slow motion?????????? I thought the game was played in slow motion!!!
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:27 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Not really got into the American Football yet, but the atmosphere on Sundays down the local sports bar is pretty cool, they have about 7 screens with different games showing.

Not sure how many pubs back home could have that many different soccer fans in one venue just enjoying themselves!

Most American's do seem to appreciate the fact that Rugby is another game and respect the fact that there's basically no protection whats so ever.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

IMO
Exactly, you opinion. Shame is, you know barely anything about the sport, but you cannot help make a comment. Larry Allen plays offensive line for the Cowboys. He is 6 ft 3 and weighs 325 pounds. He can bench 700 pounds and squat 900. He's hardly a Big Mac eating slob. Hitting in rugby and hitting in football are two different things. so, if you don't like it and have no interest, do us all a favor and give your post count a rest. I haven't watched a proper football match in almost two years, but I'm not in the football thread shouting my mouth off.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 2:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

so how did this all swing to american footie then anyway? no one give a toss about hockey or baseball then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.