Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Sport, what's your bag?

View Poll Results: Sport? Suits you sir?
American Football
22.41%
Baseball
15.52%
Basketball
5.17%
Ice Hockey
8.62%
US Soccer
3.45%
All of the above - you can get beer!!
5.17%
Streaming radio 5 live is the only way to go
13.79%
I'd rather pull my own toenails out than endure any of it
25.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

US Sport, what's your bag?

Old Oct 30th 2005, 2:13 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default US Sport, what's your bag?

Following on from the American Football thread which got a few suggesting what they consider to be entertaining sport, what's your bag?
Old Oct 30th 2005, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Sport, what's your bag?

I am a partial season ticket holder for the Arizona Diamondbacks baseball. I also have the Oakland A's and the San Francisco Giants spring training facilities in my backyard, so I tend to watch one or two spring training games each year.
I buy tickets for Cardinals games when good or my team comes to town(Go Redskins!)
I just yesterday purchased 2 game tickets to the Coyotes hockey.
I watched the Suns play the Lakers last year in Basketball and I even went to a WNBA game when I got a free ticket.

If I had to list my preference it would be..
1 football
2 baseball
3 hockey
4 college football
5 basketball(a very distant 5th)
Old Oct 30th 2005, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Listening to Radio 5 Live as I type.

1. Football

2. American Football, 4th quarter on DVR

3. Ice Hockey, but have not seen any of late.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 2:54 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would listed to some of the BBC radio streams, if I could get them to play for more than 90 seconds without it throwing up an error message telling me it's lost the bloody stream.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
I would listed to some of the BBC radio streams, if I could get them to play for more than 90 seconds without it throwing up an error message telling me it's lost the bloody stream.
Sometimes I have that problem, but it is when I am listening in the bath at the extreme range of my wifi.

Otherwise usually it is OK.

Something to do with your ISP?

Couple of hours so far with no loss.

Urrr just come up with the contractual obligations message as a live premiership match

Now that really pisses me off.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 3:02 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

1. Baseball
2. NFL/MLS about equal interest for me.

Can't even pretend to give a toss about anything else really.
Actually I can get interested in college basketball during March madness, but that's only because my FIL is seriously into it and having watched games with him he's passed on some of his knowledge and enthusiasm. He's a UNC grad, and it was fun to watch them win the whole shebang with him ealier this year.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 3:20 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Will watch some football around Superbowl, haven't really followed it since the Joe Montana/Jerry Rice 49ers days ( about 15 years ago ).
Used to get corporate seats for the Kings and Lakers ( again years ago when they still played at the Forum) - Ice Hockey is okay, not into Basketball.
And as for baseball - A friend of mine called me with excellent free 'VIP' seats including parking for the LA Dodgers. He could not even convince me to go for free, been to a few games and even met Gene Autry( old cowboy movie star) who used to own the A's in person, baseball is a waste of 3 hours IMHO.
Horse racing is fun, a day at the GG's in Southern Cal is a nice day out, if you can call it a sport???
Old Oct 30th 2005, 3:49 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

I just like sport. Watched the Rockies a few times this season, before that watched the Devil Rays and Clearwater Phillies (single A), going to the Broncos today and have tickets to a couple of Nuggets games later in the season. I'd watch the ice hockey too but the family don't want to go . First job at the weekend is to stream 5 live and to get the Sky Sports score centre fired up. . Then I can go to task taking the piss out of my friends in the UK whose team have lost that day. It sets me up for the day!
Old Oct 30th 2005, 4:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hockey.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 8:59 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot stand any of the US sports - but each to their own i guess!!

Anthony
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:29 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Bit hard to answer this one since I've only seen baseball matches live. For some reason, the folks round my parts get really worked up about college basketball but it doesn't do a thing for me.

So, to answer the poll, I don't feel I can respond until I've attended a game/match in person.

Thinking about going to see the local ice hockey team, the Hurricanes but who knows.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 30th 2005, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Broncos currently kicking ass.

Newcastle had a good win too.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen

Anthony
Same here.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by antjen

Anthony
Oh I don't know....I quite like War!!!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 2:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Baseball...but to be honest, most of these sports are a tad boring to watch live on tele...compressed highlights are much better....or live, the atmosphere is good...but then again, there's bugger all sport in Maine that's top flight, Portland Pirates for ice hockey which is pretty good...and the Portland Seadogs for baseball ain't bad, especially as twinned with the red sox, so when there's an injured geezer there, it's cool to see...not interested in any of the other sports either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.