Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Social Security

US Social Security

Old Jan 10th 2011, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all
Default US Social Security

What are the potential social security costs that need to be paid? I have got my head around income tax just about but is there an equivalent of NI or the like that has to be paid.

As I see it Florida has no state income tax just the sales tax instead. I know we need to allow for medical insurance.

What else should I expect to be deducted from salary?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Social Security

Originally Posted by airways
What are the potential social security costs that need to be paid? I have got my head around income tax just about but is there an equivalent of NI or the like that has to be paid.

As I see it Florida has no state income tax just the sales tax instead. I know we need to allow for medical insurance.

Your social security payments are deducted from your paycheck..you dont have to make payments, its a standard deduction on your check if you work. If you own a business you have to figure out your contributions on your income.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

airways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to allairways is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Your social security payments are deducted from your paycheck..you dont have to make payments, its a standard deduction on your check if you work. If you own a business you have to figure out your contributions on your income.
Do you know what percentage they are?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know what percentage they are?
Not off hand, but its not a huge amount.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you Google "salary calculator" you'll find some sites that will let you plug in gross salary, state, and it will tell you how much your net salary will be.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 6:52 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

It's about 5% in Texas of your Gross monthly. Not sure about Florida though. Can't imagine there would be HUGE differences. But hey, this is America so I could be wrong
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:45 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Social security and Medicare are federal. Here is a link to some info from last year, purely to give you some idea of what usually happens. However, it has just been reduced temporarily because of a government tax break this year, but I can't find an up-to-date government doc posted regarding this year's numbers yet, it is so new.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10003.html
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Any 401K pension scheme you might have, and any other funds you might set up, such as a health fund to be used to cover deductible, dental etc, or kids college savings fund etc.

I don't know about property tax down your way, but for home owners, in no income tax states, it tends to be really high....but that's down to county/town.

Which down my way is a x10 difference to where we were living closer to Boston, at $10 per every $1000 house value, compared to $100 though that town did have a maximum cap at something like $20K a year or there abouts.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:26 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Social security and Medicare are federal. Here is a link to some info from last year, purely to give you some idea of what usually happens. However, it has just been reduced temporarily because of a government tax break this year, but I can't find an up-to-date government doc posted regarding this year's numbers yet, it is so new.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10003.html
Had a letter from my accountant recently on this and I can't find it now....I seem to remember Employees portion of FICA was reduced to 4.2% but Employers remains at 6.2%. Only payable on first 106,800 of salary, same as last year. Medicare remains at 1.45% each, payable on the entire salary.