Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US security clearances

US security clearances

Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice
Default Re: US security clearances

Originally Posted by Pulaski
From the point of view of security clearance you may have a point, but giving up foreign citizenships might be necessary to get the job. So there's not much point in arguing that you can get security clearance while holding dual citizenship if you can't get the job anyway.
I've hired literally hundreds of people into cleared jobs at a Top 10 Defense contractor. For them, they don't have a decision point of "dual national?" in their flow-chart, it's all devolved to OPM. The decision point is "clearance?". If applicant has one, good; if not, employer will offer the job contingent on obtaining a clearance. If they get one...good to go.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benblaney
They don't require it. That's my point. You haven't cited any source, but here's one: NISPOM 2-209. Even non-US Citizens *can* get a clearance. It's incredibly rare; I've only seen it three or four times, and always in the most urgent of situation. But I've known literally dozens of dual nationals with clearances.
Your experience is in defense contracting but does that mean that you know all the requirements of every US government department and agency?
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

benblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nicebenblaney is just really nice

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Your experience is in defense contracting but does that mean that you know all the requirements of every US government department and agency?
You could ask the same question of the poster who wrote " As the service academies / DOD require it". Seems like quite a blanket statement.

But, you're right. I really only did DOD, and a little bit of State. I never did Energy or any of that other stuff. But DOD is pretty straightforward, because all the branches of the military use OPM. I'm telling people what I saw based on a decade of experience, and I've posted citations. I'm the only guy in this thread who's actually answering the OP's question.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

They don't require it. That's my point. You haven't cited any source, but here's one: NISPOM 2-209. Even non-US Citizens *can* get a clearance. It's incredibly rare; I've only seen it three or four times, and always in the most urgent of situation. But I've known literally dozens of dual nationals with clearances.
My sources were the admissions officers at the USMA, Naval and Coast Guard academies. Also a JAG officer at UVA had the same opinion.
Given the competition for places at the academies if you start arguing with them over renouncing they most likely will pass you over.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
This! What works for hiring at BB's employer is not universally applicable to all roles requiring security clearance.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
My sources were the admissions officers at the USMA, Naval and Coast Guard academies. Also a JAG officer at UVA had the same opinion.
Given the competition for places at the academies if you start arguing with them over renouncing they most likely will pass you over.
Don't extrapolate from something that may well be an entrance requirement for a US Military Academy, to the OP's situation of entering the cleared workforce as a civilian. That's my point.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This! What works for hiring at BB's employer is not universally applicable to all roles requiring security clearance.
There's no better advice in this thread than mine. I never said it was universal, but I have pointed out some fallacies in universal statements of other posters.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Don't extrapolate from something that may well be an entrance requirement for a US Military Academy, to the OP's situation of entering the cleared workforce as a civilian. That's my point.
Well you should have said that the difference is in hiring practices, which incidentally was my point too, rather than trying to lay down the law on security clearances.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:13 pm

There's no better advice in this thread than mine. I never said it was universal, but I have pointed out some fallacies in universal statements of other posters.
You told Otto he was wrong, when (i) you didn't know all the relevant facts, and (ii) extrapolated your experience into a field where it didn't apply.

Your advice would have been better received if you had made it clear that it is possible to get security clearance while holding dual nationality, but not necessarily possible to get every job requiring security clearance when you have dual nationality.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Security clearance was one of the reasons it was a requirement to renounce.
You do not need to renounce to apply, I do not believe the question of dual nationality was brought up.

Last edited by ottotheboar; Apr 18th 2016 at 1:46 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked in to find a feistier discussion than I expected.

If clearances can potentially be obtained without renouncing citizenship that is encouraging.

I'm not sure I'd want to give it up, but that is purely from a pragmatic perspective. I think my position would be logical and defensible if I ever had that conversation, and I probably would be willing to negotiate if the job was promising enough.