US Schools?

Old Jun 9th 2005, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Schools?

The summer holidays are about to begin and I was surprised when the school stopped giving homework three whole weeks before the final day. I was also surprised that for the final week of school all they did was play games and watch movies?

My youngest is falling behind in some subjects and it seemed to me that the time could be better spent in helping the children to improve the skills they have learnt. My husband said that all 'testing' has been completed so no other work is required ... but surely education is more than just 'tests'?

Maybe I've just forgotten, but I seem to remember lessons continuing in the the UK right up until the last day of school ... so is this just the way it's done in the US, or just the way it's done at the schools my children happen to attend?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:04 pm
ImHere

Default Re: US Schools?

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
The summer holidays are about to begin and I was surprised when the school stopped giving homework three whole weeks before the final day. I was also surprised that for the final week of school all they did was play games and watch movies?

My youngest is falling behind in some subjects and it seemed to me that the time could be better spent in helping the children to improve the skills they have learnt. My husband said that all 'testing' has been completed so no other work is required ... but surely education is more than just 'tests'?

Maybe I've just forgotten, but I seem to remember lessons continuing in the the UK right up until the last day of school ... so is this just the way it's done in the US, or just the way it's done at the schools my children happen to attend?

Ours had to go in for one day after memorial day to make up for days lost to hurricanes last year. What did they do? Fek all. They were even told not to bring any books in with them.

Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Ours had to go in for one day after memorial day to make up for days lost to hurricanes last year. What did they do? Fek all. They were even told not to bring any books in with them.
Mine were told not to bring anything with them all this week ... and last week! My youngest brought home all her textbooks that were kept at school two weeks ago ... so they've been doing fek all for two whole weeks! But, more importantly, she did come second in the hula hoop contest!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

We would always have games in lessons of the last day before Christmas and Summer break. Never watched movies though.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

At any school I taught in in England there would have been a bloody riot on if we'd tried to make the buggers work in the last week of term. Lots of sport, videos, games and more videos. In addition, they always expected some after school 'disco' (their term, not mine), in which I had the dubious pleasure of watching 9year old girls in gold stretch lycra bodysuits throw up their orange squash all over the DJ (really the caretaker, but he went to the trouble of wearing an Elvis wig, bless him). Trying to plan a week of 'fun' is more stress than planning a week's lessons.

On a more serious note, it's not uncommon for children to fall behind, especially if they've come from a different school system. It's not always even a case of not being able to do the work, but the effect of using different teaching methods, different books and materials. Children get into a real routine with learning and when that routine changes, they take a while to adapt. Summer school programs are massively popular here and have no stigma attached, so if you're really concerned you could maybe look into them.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
We would always have games in lessons of the last day before Christmas and Summer break. Never watched movies though.
My memory is hazy ... but I seem to remember that the very last day of school before a major holiday would be a bit more fun. Makes me wonder whether the fact that my children in the US have nigh on a month of playing before a holiday, and during school term seem to spend more time building projects than studying ... that maybe this is why they have to stay at school until 18 y/o rather than 16 y/o as in the UK?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dant3
At any school I taught in in England there would have been a bloody riot on if we'd tried to make the buggers work in the last week of term. Lots of sport, videos, games and more videos. In addition, they always expected some after school 'disco' (their term, not mine), in which I had the dubious pleasure of watching 9year old girls in gold stretch lycra bodysuits throw up their orange squash all over the DJ (really the caretaker, but he went to the trouble of wearing an Elvis wig, bless him). Trying to plan a week of 'fun' is more stress than planning a week's lessons.

On a more serious note, it's not uncommon for children to fall behind, especially if they've come from a different school system. It's not always even a case of not being able to do the work, but the effect of using different teaching methods, different books and materials. Children get into a real routine with learning and when that routine changes, they take a while to adapt. Summer school programs are massively popular here and have no stigma attached, so if you're really concerned you could maybe look into them.
Blimey, either times have changed or I went to a really boring school in the UK ... we never got to mess around for a whole week, and I only remember there ever being one disco (I can still remember my friend doing the pojo that evening! lol).

My youngest is my husband's youngest actually ... so she's always been taught in the US. I don't think she needs summer school, though I will try and help her with her reading for which she went from a 'B' to a 'C'. Shame really, because she so wants to get straight A's like her siblings
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

My youngest is my husband's youngest actually ... so she's always been taught in the US. I don't think she needs summer school, though I will try and help her with her reading for which she went from a 'B' to a 'C'. Shame really, because she so wants to get straight A's like her siblings
So the siblings that are doing better experienced a British education? That's reassuring.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

So the siblings that are doing better experienced a British education? That's reassuring.
LOL ... sorry, but they are all my husband's children ... I just refer to them as my children - so they have all been blessed (?) with a US education!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are...in maine, they normally have extra school days alotted, around 8 I think, in case of storms and missed school days, but if there isn't a bad winter, they don't ditch the days, so kids are normally hanging around..
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:07 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Our schools have been out since 19th May, drives me mad having them home for that long summer break.They did not do much the last week.Mind you I remember taking board games and playing cards to my school the last week before summer holidays.I wish they would break up the long summer break.My youngest has summer school,starts next week .She needs to get the extra help during the summer.My oldest is doing summer school to get some extra credits in.Does her good she's not sleeping all morning They go back Aug 23rd seems like an eternity.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clydegirl
They go back Aug 23rd seems like an eternity.
That's more than three months!!! :scared: How the hell is any parent supposed to live with their kids for three months? No wonder summer camps are so popular, you can abandon them in the woods for a few weeks at least. Seriously, if both parents are working, what are you supposed to do? I don't really get how that works.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:19 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's more than three months!!! :scared: How the hell is any parent supposed to live with their kids for three months? No wonder summer camps are so popular, you can abandon them in the woods for a few weeks at least. Seriously, if both parents are working, what are you supposed to do? I don't really get how that works.
I seemed to be the only parent at the bus stop who complained about the long break.They all were looking forward to it I even asked the teachers why and one of them said it was because of the farmers Of course that was in the day when they would all be out in the fields working.Also our schools don't have A.C and it does get very hot 90 degrees today.I don't know how people manage when they are both working probably paying a fortune on day-care and summer camps.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:22 pm
ImHere

"Summer Camp", here at least, is basically six weeks of daytime activities at the school they've just spent the last few months at. Cost: $600.

Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ImHere
"Summer Camp", here at least, is basically six weeks of daytime activities at the school they've just spent the last few months at. Cost: $600.
:scared: So no skinny dipping and nocturnal cabin activity at Camp Crystal Lake! I have been grossly misinformed over the years as to the nature of summer camp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.