US salary

Old Dec 16th 2019, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Pawsington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US salary

How do you work out if you will have enough money or not? Husbands job offer in USA is a pay increase but I won’t be working to start off with, so I’m trying to work out if we will have enough to live on. What is a reasonable salary? Is there a website that can help us work out what we will be paying in taxes etc. We will be on the MA, NH border (probably living in NH but may end up in MA)
Old Dec 16th 2019, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US salary

Used to be you kept the number and changed the currency, now maybe be add 20%?
Old Dec 16th 2019, 6:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Try this site https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp
Old Dec 16th 2019, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Your starting point is to ensure that the right rate is being paid for that job in the USA, using a website like this (there are many others): https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/p...RCH_KO0,15.htm
What can seem like a good salary in UK terms (are you in the UK?) can be a poor salary here. When you are settled on the proposed salary you then need to understand if you can live on that salary and achieve the life style you want.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 6:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pawsington
How do you work out if you will have enough money or not? Husbands job offer in USA is a pay increase but I won’t be working to start off with, so I’m trying to work out if we will have enough to live on. What is a reasonable salary? Is there a website that can help us work out what we will be paying in taxes etc. We will be on the MA, NH border (probably living in NH but may end up in MA)
You may not wish to share the info, but if you can give people a rough idea of the salary and your situation (i.e. how many in the family, what healthcare his employer will provide, what you want to do in spare time etc), then hopefully those in the area can tell you if it's a realistic salary or not.

FWIW, I'd avoid Numbeo like the plague, it's notoriously inaccurate. Hopefully as more people contribute it will get better but for now it's pretty dire IMO.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Healthcare looks to be approx $300 every 2 weeks then with a 10% co pay on top (is this good or bad?) it’s blue cross blue shield.
2 adults 2 kids. Rent looks to be $3000-$4000 pcm without property taxes. We will need to buy 2 cars when we get out there.
The offer is $135k with car allowance on top. Housing looks very expensive! I thought our house in the South East of the UK was expensive!
Old Dec 16th 2019, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Rent looks to be $3000-$4000 pcm without property taxes.
Unlike with Council Tax, it's only owners that pay Property Taxes in the US - not renters.

Obviously your landlord will be factoring in the cost of the taxes into your rent, but it's not like it's a separate bill that you're going to be getting on top of that.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Unlike with Council Tax, it's only owners that pay Property Taxes in the US - not renters.

Obviously your landlord will be factoring in the cost of the taxes into your rent, but it's not like it's a separate bill that you're going to be getting on top of that.
all the info I can find say that the tenant has to pay it as they are the one using the services eg education etc
Old Dec 16th 2019, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

If your husband visa allows it, do you plan on working?
Old Dec 16th 2019, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
If your husband visa allows it, do you plan on working?
yes, we will be going for L1A which means I can work but I need to get my qualification certified by the state and I’m not sure how long that might take. Also I won’t work for the first couple of months so I can get the kids settled into school and sort out the house etc. Hopefully within 3-6 months of arrival I will work. If the state take longer to accept my qualifications then I’ll find any old job as I don’t want to be sitting on my own all day. It looks like my job will pay around 50-60k assuming I can find work.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

When we rented, the owner paid the Property Tax.

Rule of thumb - multiply the GBP salary you both earn today by two and that should be enough in most locations to retain your standard of living, at least. Then you get more detailed and understand the variation in location vs. the UK equiv. As an example I left Swindon for just South of Atlanta, so my housing options improved a lot. If I'd moved to NYC, I'd have had to increase my salary just to stay still. That Healthcare sounds about right, don't forget you are offsetting that against the fact you pay for it via Tax in the UK. So salary is the first bit, then you need to work out your Take Home and compare that - some States have Income Tax, some don't (New Hampshire does not appear to, Mass does) at a smidge over 5%).
Old Dec 16th 2019, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

A quick google and on the NH DOJ website there is this line:

"A landlord can also include a clause to force a mid-lease rent increase if property taxes are increased."

That would suggest the Property Tax is included in the rent as standard.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 8:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

all the info I can find say that the tenant has to pay it as they are the one using the services eg education etc
Maybe you could post a link to said information. Unlike the UK...I always uunderstood that in the US it is the property owner who is responsible for property taxes. I suppose it may be different from state to state.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Dec 16th 2019 at 8:58 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Agree .... never heard of a renter paying any separate Property tax. That is paid by the property owner. However, the rent will undoubtedly cover some portion of the property taxes as well as maintenance/upkeep.
Old Dec 16th 2019, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I must have been mistaken about property taxes, thinking it was like council taxes. That makes life a little easier!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.